*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3039359
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #1901527
Stalled? We are ready to help you brainstorm your way past your hurdle.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Nov 8, 2016 at 5:41am
Re: Question about word count
Great catch! There was indeed a space after the number. Thanks for letting me know. It's fixed.

I second what Robert Waltz said. The same question has gone through my own head because I've done some brainstorm freewriting that's not actual novel narrative. For example: I realized I needed some critical background information on a character I didn't profile. I needed to figure out the true "story" for a minor crime case file my protagonist is trying to solve. In the end, the things I developed came up in dialog and internal monologue, albeit with more brevity than the freewrites, but the actual character background and crime story freewrites didn't make it into my word count. It annoyed me, because I spent quite a bit of time on those freewrites, especially the crime background. My protagonist will solve a major crime later, but she has to solve one or two minor ones to prove herself, so these cases are barely significant. Yet I spent the better part of an hour devising the first one, and I'm not even counting the words.

But this is NaNo, and it's an honor-system based program, so ultimately, the decision is up to you. Nobody is going to read the words you dump in the word count validator at the end of the month.

Cheers,
Michelle

MESSAGE THREAD
Question about word count · 11-07-16 9:38pm
by Agape Novels
Re: Question about word count · 11-07-16 11:56pm
by Robert Waltz
*Star* Re: Question about word count · 11-08-16 5:41am
by BrandiwynšŸŽ¶
Re: Re: Question about word count · 11-08-16 6:09am
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: Re: Question about word count · 11-08-16 6:23am
by BrandiwynšŸŽ¶
Re: Re: Re: Re: Question about word count · 11-08-16 7:33am
by Sharon.NJ
Re: Re: Re: Re: Question about word count · 11-08-16 8:46am
by Agape Novels

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, BrandiwynšŸŽ¶.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3039359