(333)
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Contest · #896794
Enter your story of 300 words or less.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Nov 19, 2017 at 11:10pm
Holiday Sleep
by Snarky
*Dollar* 50 GPs were sent to Arakun the Twisted Raccoon with this post.
         Jack tossed and turned on the sofa bed. Why was he unable to sleep? He’d come downstairs to be with the fire, because he had a cold, but now he was restive. Perhaps his daytime medicine had him hopped him up.
         Again he heard scratching. The noise made him grind his teeth. Why, why, doesn’t someone trim that blasted branch? Its dance against the window is driving me insane—it’s as bad as someone scraping her nails across a chalkboard. When I had Martha look into it last year, she claimed it was too short to hit the window, so maybe it’s hitting the gutter instead. Whether it’s hitting the window or the gutter, it’s aggravating.
         Impatient, he turned on the light and opened a book. Finally, he felt calm enough to try sleep again.
         It seemed Jack hardly had closed his eyes when he was jerked awake again. This time the noise was louder and more obnoxious than the mere scratches of a branch on a window or gutter. It really does sound like a team of reindeer stomping on the roof! It’s Christmas Eve, so why not describe it like that? Now Jack wanted to scream.
         Just then, the fire went out, as suddenly as if it’d been electrically switched off. Now something seemed to be fumbling down the chimney, something heavy and large. Maybe I really have gone insane, Jack speculated. He flipped on the lamp beside him. Then a pair of boots appeared in the extinguished grate.
         “Oh, Santa,” he said, bemused, as the man pulled himself out. “Will you just bring me sleep this year?”
         Santa unbent himself. “Why don’t I change your life instead? Change your frustration into gratitude.” He pulled out a Bible.
         “Will it make me sleep?”
         “Peace of mind always does.”

[300 words]
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Holiday Sleep · 11-19-17 11:10pm
by Snarky

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Arakun the Twisted Raccoon.
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3144881