*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3157403
Rated: E · Message Forum · Fantasy · #2016377
Chat with fellow members and catch up on all the FSFS News!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jan 23, 2018 at 1:08am
Hello group
by Zen
Hi all,

I'm Zen (a.k.a. Phil), and I'm a sci-fi writer. I sometimes do a bit of fantasy or horror, but generally only in flash-fiction or short story form.

There is a flash-fiction sci-fi comedy called "A Random Act of Kindness" in my portfolio if you want to have a laugh. It's badly written, I know, and someday I'll get around to tightening it up, but it's still fun.

I've written four novels - one at 50k words, one at 100k, and two at 200k. I'm currently rewriting my 4th novel (100k) for the fifth time, partly because I've learnt so much in the last couple of years that I could see it needed it, and partly because I'm treating it as an academic exercise. I hope it will get the attention of an agent at some point.

Theme-wise, I like taking both a philosophical and cynical look at social dysfunction; runaway economics; technological upheavals and resource mismanagement.

Most of my stories are fly-in-the-ointment type - either something that upsets the status quo, or a character well out of their comfort zone.

I particularly love world-building, and will generally begin with six weeks of intense world-building, followed by anything up to several years maturing that environment still further. It is my belief that the world you create has to be treated very much like a character: it must have character, personality and back-story, and like any character, must be portrayed well. It also has to be exploited in order to create a full-immersion experience for the reader - using it as a backdrop is rarely enough.

I look forward to meeting you all!
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Hello group · 01-23-18 1:08am
by Zen
Re: Hello group · 01-23-18 3:24pm
by brom21
Re: Re: Hello group · 01-23-18 11:00pm
by Zen
Re: Re: Re: Hello group · 01-26-18 3:56am
by Tobber
Re: Re: Re: Re: Hello group · 02-01-18 2:47am
by bellowsface

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, David the Dark one!.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3157403