SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3258313
Rated: E · Message Forum · Writing.Com · #1618440
An informal group of writers who enjoy reading books & sharing feedback
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Mar 22, 2019 at 4:57pm
Review of A Gentleman in Moscow

I probably would never have read this book if it hadn't been on the Rising Stars Book Club list, but I'm sure glad I did! Not only is it an entertaining read, it's a captivating telling, without a set plot, that takes the reader through a time in history, many of us know little about.

Count Alexander Rostov has been sentenced to house arrest in the grand hotel across from the Kremlin, where he'd currently resided anyway, though now he's been moved to the attic, where new adventures begin for this noble and likable character. I admire his wit and positive outlook, his friendship with the young girl, Nina, and his skill for detecting the exact new flavor in the chef's entrée`s. And years later,when he steps in as Papa for Nina's daughter, Sophia, it warms one's heart to watch her grow up under the count's caring parenting. I had hoped Nina might show up later in the book, especially for Sophia's benefit, but it didn't happen and for me, I felt that loss tremendously, but as in real life, we don't always have a say in what our future has in store for us. So I accepted the probability Nina was either dead or had been arrested, and her reappearance in the book, was not meant to be.

I love the count's adventuresome personality along with his generous service to others. Though he had never suffered in his previous aristocratic life, he seems sensitive to the needs of all he becomes involved with. And what a fortunate man was he, to live his sentenced life in a hotel filled with unforgettable characters and experiences. He makes lemonade out of lemons, so to speak, and takes in all that he can, filling his days with friendships, good food, and contemplating the world around him. I became a bit anxious when he left the motel with Sophia in his arms, and ordered the Taxi driver to take them to the hospital. Thankfully, all worked out well, thanks to his friend, who planned Alexander's return in a bakery van filled with warm bread, and safely made it back, unnoticed.

I was ecstatic when he escaped for good, leaving the bishop locked up in the hotel, but the ending confused me till I realized the willowy woman was most likely the Russian actress, Anna. I do wish it had been Nina though, but that's because I like fairy-tale endings. *Laugh*

This novel is well-written and the characters are unforgettable. I truly enjoyed it and if truth be told, I'm going to miss Alexander!

One small tidbit I learned--after some confusion of who Sasha was--is that the nickname for Alexander, is Sasha! *Bigsmile* I never knew that! (I looked it up. *Wink*)
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Review of A Gentleman in Moscow · 03-22-19 4:57pm
by Cubby~Cheering House Florent!
Re: Review of A Gentleman in Moscow · 03-25-19 10:08am
by Lilith of House Martell

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Lilith of House Martell.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3258313