Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3258500
Rated: E · Message Forum · Writing.Com · #1618440
An informal group of writers who enjoy reading books & sharing feedback
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Mar 23, 2019 at 5:02pm
Edited: March 23, 2019 at 5:03pm
My Review of Amor Towle's "A Gentleman In Moscow"
I was delightfully surprised by how much I enjoyed reading this book! Like another bookclubber mentioned in their review, I don't think I ever would have selected this book if left to my own devices, so a big thank you to this group for putting it in my lap.

A Gentleman From Moscow is a charming novel, rich in detail, and one dancing with description and brimming with philosophic insight. The story, told by an omniscient narrator, unfolds with an immediate lessening of the hero's station and brings in the theme that runs throughout the tale: If someone fails to master their circumstances, then they are bound to be mastered by them. A true gentleman, the Count was used to sitting in the park, observing life and the seasons as they passed. When a turn in his life's path sends him to the confines of a small 100 foot square attic room in an opulent Moscow hotel, his dignity and humanity are threatened. The masterful Mr. Towles keeps the reality of 1920s Russia lurking just outside the hotel's massive doors, allowing the Count to go about his daily chores, while drawing on a rich backstory.
Memories of godfathers, sisters, Duchesses, and past acquaintances swirl in the Count's head, and the author uses those past actions to make sense for his protagonist's present.

Despite the apparent thinness of an overarching storyline, the tale was full of gorgeous language and exquisite visual metaphors, like: With the instincts of convicts who discover their prison open, the individual oranges rolled in every direction to maximize their chances of escape.
For me, the many, tiny details gave this story life. Pay attention. With a rare exception, each has an ultimate purpose. You know that his sister's scissors, in the shape of an egret with long silver blades representing a birds' beak, will somehow have a purpose later in the story. The making of bouillabaisse was described in such glorious fashion, I grinned and salivated in the company of Audrey, Emile, and the Count, as they created the dish.

The characters are both captivating and delightful, and were by far the shining piece of this literary work. The author gave them personalities, faces, and sufficient background to bring them to life. I enjoyed every millisecond of this read!

** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **
** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
My Review of Amor Towle's "A Gentleman In Moscow" · 03-23-19 5:02pm
by The Huntress ~ Finding Love
Re: My Review of Amor Towle's "A Gentleman In Moscow" · 03-25-19 10:07am
by Lilith of House Martell

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Lilith of House Martell.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3258500