Rated: E · Message Forum · Writing.Com · #1618440
An informal group of writers who enjoy reading books & sharing feedback
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Apr 7, 2020 at 2:10pm
Edited: April 7, 2020 at 2:13pm
Re: Post reviews here for The Teacher's Piano, please
by Cubby

First of all, I'd like to say I enjoyed the story very much. It captured my interest right from the beginning and had me reading to the very end, including the original short story the book version was based upon, which was interesting to compare to.

I do, however, have just a few mixed feelings about this bittersweet story. And it's probably because I found myself so totally involved in the characters and relationships. When the grandson smashed the piano, I cringed. But then I hoped it could be fixed. It couldn't be. And when Sara's spirit left because Max had destroyed the piano, it had been right before they'd brought Benjamin back to the school. I felt frustrated and sad. I also would've liked to have known more about Carolyn's involvement in the death of Sara.

Speaking of Carolyn, the author did a great job of making her unlikable! I was irked that Benjamin even married her, lol. But Max loved his grandmother and it angered him that his grandpa had loved someone else beforehand... and had never stopped. But most grown-ups, in my humble opinion, wouldn't have destroyed the piano beyond repair over the situation. I could be wrong though. I really liked this story, either way, am glad I read it!

I was rather impressed with Jennifer's writing, the way she told the story. I did spot one or two typos, but I run into that often enough in traditionally published books. But anyway, I truly feel if this story could be longer, more in-depth of the characters and with added layers, it would be something traditional publishers would or should be interested in. Or an agent. I believe the storyline is absolutely a pull for a variety of genre lovers. It would be great if it could be lengthened. I love the cover! Great choice. I'm not even sure how one goes about choosing a book cover, but it was an excellent choice!

Jennifer is a talented writer and I would love to see her expand this bittersweet tale of love and regret.
MESSAGE THREAD
Post reviews here for The Teacher's Piano, please · 03-19-20 7:52am
by Lilli 🧿 ☕
Re: Post reviews here for The Teacher's Piano, please · 03-19-20 8:08am
by Choconut
Re: Re: Post reviews here for The Teacher's Piano, please · 03-19-20 8:16am
by Lilli 🧿 ☕
Re: Post reviews here for The Teacher's Piano, please · 03-19-20 10:38am
by Mastiff
Re: Re: Post reviews here for The Teacher's Piano, please · 03-19-20 2:25pm
by Lilli 🧿 ☕
Re: Re: Re: Post reviews here for The Teacher's Piano, pl... · 03-19-20 2:41pm
by Mastiff
Re: Re: Re: Re: Post reviews here for The Teacher's Piano... · 03-21-20 12:00pm
by Cobwebby Space Reader Reindeer
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Post reviews here for The Teacher's P... · 03-28-20 7:15am
by Lilli 🧿 ☕
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Post reviews here for The Teacher... · 04-04-20 5:28pm
by QPdoll
*Star* Re: Post reviews here for The Teacher's Piano, please · 04-07-20 2:10pm
by Cubby
Re: Re: Post reviews here for The Teacher's Piano, please · 04-07-20 2:13pm
by Lilli 🧿 ☕

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Lilli 🧿 ☕.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3337605