*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3364907
by Seuzz
Rated: 18+ · Message Forum · Fantasy · #2180090
Message forum for readers of the BoM/TWS interactive universe.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Aug 31, 2020 at 9:59pm
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: R...
by Seuzz
>> I've never really seen much of Kenandandra in his personality if I'm being honest.

In terms of real-world chronology, Will first became a Stellae in the branch that followed on "Change of Address. I think that "Joe Tells the Truth was the first time he was linked to Sulva, but I steered clear of giving him a second ousiarch because none of the others fit him nearly as well. He's not particularly smart (Arbol); or fleet of foot, mind or tongue (Viritrilbia); or creative (Perelandra); or combative (Malacandra); or contemplative (Lurga). He has no leadership qualities (Glundandra), and it's true he doesn't show much of a proclivity for engineering (Kenandandra). For awhile I flirted with making him a Catilindrian, for he does tend to be rather random, but that is also a Sulvan trait, and he's not random or destructive enough to be both Sulvan and Catilindrian. That left Eldibria for awhile as the unchosen default, but Eldibria is itself the least defined of the planets, and that felt like a cop out.

So for the longest time I simply let him be undefined, and let the Stellae be puzzled about what his other ousiarch might be. Eventually, I decided to make it that he had that ousiarch "amputated" when he passed through the book in "Change of Address," though that introduced another mystery that is still unanswered: Why was it amputated?

IIRC (which maybe I don't), I finally settled on Kenandandra as the ousiarch in order to solve another and unrelated puzzle.

In one of the earliest-composed chapters, I had Will copy out a sigil when executing the first spell. That was back when I thought the magic resided in the ingredients. Eventually it dawned on me that if that was true, it would be possible, even despite the book's best efforts to interfere, to copy the book's recipes, and it would cease to be a specially important and sinister object. So I made the sigils the source of the magic. But that was just as bad: Why couldn't you copy the sigils? And if the book didn't like people copying its ingredients and instructions, why did it let Will copy the sigils, which is the real magic?

Eventually, the separate puzzles—why can he copy sigils, and what is his other ousiarch—sort of oozed together and solved each other in my imagination. Will could copy sigils when no one else could because he was special. Okay, right, he was special because he was a Stellae. So was it because of what kind of Stellae he was? His being a Sulva didn't seem relevant. The only one that seemed relevant was Kenandandra, the engineering ousiarch. So I decided that's what explained it, and made him a Kenandandran. The combination of Kenandandran skill and Sulvan stealth let him unwittingly slip past the book's defenses. **

As for his not seeming like a Kenandandran: Well, if you look at his classes and interests, he isn't taking anything that would reveal the proclivity. The closest he comes is in some off-hand comments about his taking apart his bicycle and his constructing a potato gun when he was younger. But after I made him a Kenandandran, I kept it in mind, and there are branches in TWS where his nature manifests as a skill at computer science when he becomes a university student. Also, there are certain spots in BoM, as when he's studying or has studied with Blackwell, where he shows special skill at engineering, particularly with sigils. Even his first meeting with Blackwell, in "The Magician's House, when he accidentally fashions a fetish doll of the professor, can be retconned as Kenandandra coming thru.

If you want an in-universe explanation of why Kenandandra doesn't manifest, you could try rationalizing it as the action of Sulva: It puts Kenandandra mostly in eclipse.

** Although recently I've begun forming a different hypothesis of what's behind the Libra's willingness to let him copy its sigils.
MESSAGE THREAD
A New Owner · 08-21-20 8:00am
by Masktrix
Re: A New Owner · 08-22-20 7:41pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: A New Owner · 08-25-20 4:53am
by Nostrum
Re: Re: A New Owner · 08-25-20 5:06am
by Masktrix
Re: Re: Re: A New Owner · 08-25-20 4:59pm
by imaj
Re: Re: Re: Re: A New Owner · 08-25-20 5:57pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A New Owner · 08-26-20 3:30pm
by imaj
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A New Owner · 08-26-20 4:02pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A New Owner · 08-26-20 7:19pm
by Seuzz
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A New Owner · 08-26-20 8:10pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A New Owner · 08-29-20 6:24am
by Masktrix
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A New Owner · 08-29-20 8:12am
by Seuzz
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A New Owner · 08-31-20 7:07am
by Masktrix
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A New Owner · 08-31-20 11:43am
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A New Owner · 08-31-20 12:34pm
by imaj
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A New Owner · 08-31-20 12:54pm
by Masktrix
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A New... · 08-31-20 2:19pm
by Seuzz
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A... · 08-31-20 4:28pm
by imaj
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: R... · 08-31-20 5:58pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: R... · 08-31-20 7:56pm
by Masktrix
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: R... · 08-31-20 8:12pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: R... · 08-31-20 8:35pm
by Seuzz
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: R... · 08-31-20 8:43pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: R... · 08-31-20 9:16pm
by Nostrum
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: R... · 08-31-20 9:27pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: R... · 08-31-20 9:37pm
by Nostrum
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: R... · 08-31-20 10:05pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: R... · 08-31-20 10:13pm
by Nostrum
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: R... · 08-31-20 10:47pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: R... · 09-01-20 3:20am
by Masktrix
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: R... · 09-01-20 7:26am
by Seuzz
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: R... · 09-01-20 11:28am
by imaj
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: R... · 09-01-20 1:05pm
by Nostrum
*Star* Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: R... · 08-31-20 9:59pm
by Seuzz
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: R... · 08-31-20 10:37pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: R... · 08-31-20 9:07pm
by Nostrum
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A... · 08-31-20 10:15pm
by rugal b.
Re: Re: Re: Re: A New Owner · 08-25-20 7:00pm
by Seuzz
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A New Owner · 08-26-20 6:18am
by Masktrix

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Seuzz.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3364907