*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3398812
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(670)
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing.Com · #126963
A warm welcome to our newbies; come meet new and not-so-new members of Writing.Com!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jan 25, 2021 at 6:33pm
Re: Back for another run
I'd start from what you know.

You mention 3 things:

1. Place. Where have you lived in the British Isles?
2. Time. When have you lived? or parents and grandparents?
3. What technologies do you use and know?

If you are new to all three (as is expected in sci-fi fantasy) then you need to build a world. Are you ready to spend the time to do that?

For instance... a friend has written an historical account about her grandmother in Costa Rica who delivered mail by horseback... among other things... including the local reaction to seeing their first plane! I couldn't write it even if I did all the research. She makes the time and place come alive. She also lives there.

Me? I was there 2009-2011 at a time of change from phone booths, calling cards and landlines to everyone, including kids, having cell phones. I've lived there so I could place a story there and then. But I'd have to have my friends edit for authenticity.

What may be key is focusing on a very particular year and particular setting. Edwardian England is too broad and London over-done.

This is a fascinating clip of the first car race on the Isle of Man, 1904. It's black/white/silent of course; but, what did it smell like? sound like? taste like (dust in the mouth?) Everyone always focuses on the winner but car #17 came in third as seen at the end. What is their story? All of the young children are long dead now but my grandmother was 12 that year. What would she have thought? Would a young couple have gone to gawk? I dunno... but you might. You could even visit later this year and drive/walk part of the route. Snafel (Snaefell, Manx: Sniaull) the mountain is mentioned and the electric railroad there dates from 1895 and is still in operation. 1895-1905 was a time of great change. This would make an interesting backdrop and setting (and it's NOT London).

In truth... any narrow focus would help with a story. And much can be found on the internet these days.
MESSAGE THREAD
Back for another run · 01-09-21 7:30pm
by Past Member 'edwords'
Re: Back for another run · 01-11-21 1:41pm
by Lilith of House Martell
Re: Back for another run · 01-16-21 8:47pm
by Anni Pon
Re: Back for another run · 01-21-21 6:03pm
by Cubby~Cheering House Florent!
*Star* Re: Back for another run · 01-25-21 6:33pm
by Kåre Enga in Udon Thani

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, The StoryMistress.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3398812