*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3558317
Rated: E · Message Forum · Activity · #2261482
Where all you have to do is read books to receive awesome prizes.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Apr 20, 2023 at 10:05pm
Edited: April 23, 2023 at 9:31pm
February Book #2 - complete :-)
Hester, by Laurie Lico Albanese   (ASIN:B09NTKBCVL)

Hester is, at its core, the origin story to Nathaniel Hawthorne's The Scarlet Letter. Told from the heroine's point of view, the story is richly woven with the complications of a strong young woman who sees colors in people's voices, letters, and numbers, and has a gift and passion for embroidery. Fresh off the ship from Scotland, Isobel is left to fend for herself in Salem when her husband returns to the ship to seek his fortune, having stolen the money Isobel had hidden away. She finds herself drawn to Nat Hathorne, the descendant of the men responsible for hanging innocents accused of witchcraft in Salem two hundred years earlier. He is haunted by the guilt of his ancestors, but when he sees Isobel arrive in Scotland he thinks he may have written her into his life. Isobel survives by her needle, her embroidery so beautiful as to be almost magical. The high society of Salem holds control over the low, and Isobel is held in check by the threat of being accused of using witchcraft to create her art, and of being thrown out for adultery. Isobel also befriends the free "colored people" whose farm backs up to the house she rents, and soon she discovers that slave hunters are searching for the children she's come to know and love.

I found this to be a powerful story of women who hold strong to their truth and the significance of friendships and trust. Isobel sucked me into her life and drew me along with her passions and trials, and in the end brought me to a place of peace and happiness that was believable, and sweet.

Outside the box quote
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
February Book #2 - complete :-) · 04-20-23 10:05pm
by sorry, buddhangela's broken
Re: February Book #2 · 04-21-23 6:11am
by Choconut
Re: February Book #2 - complete :-) · 04-30-23 5:47pm
by sorry, buddhangela's broken
Re: Re: February Book #2 - complete :-) · 07-28-23 5:22am
by Choconut
Re: Re: Re: February Book #2 - complete :-) · 07-28-23 6:08am
by Choconut

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Choconut.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3558317