*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3572112
by Seuzz
Rated: 18+ · Message Forum · Fantasy · #2180090
Message forum for readers of the BoM/TWS interactive universe.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jul 13, 2023 at 11:58am
Re: Re: GP Polls
by Seuzz
I don't always use the GP system, and the times I don't use it do tend to be those where I'm pretty sure that there aren't one or two dominant choices. This is mostly because I'm pretty sure no one will spend GPs in such a contest, so what's the point? But I used it in the past couple of polls because I knew I was mixing obvious with non-obvious choices, and wanted to give the non-obvious a chance. The one where the Kirkham option won is exactly the kind of situation that I wanted the GP poll to operate in and make a difference. No way that option would have won without GP boosts.

It's always a balancing act with making BoM choices. Do I write a branch that I'm especially interested in, even though I know it's something I doubt will be popular with readers? Do I write the easy and obvious popular choice, because I know that many readers will likely be invested? Do I make the choice myself, or do I throw it open to a vote?

Really, I can only "feel" my way forward, and mix it up so that over time there will be a balance. But that's the only way I think I can accomplish a balance. The solution to imperfect systems (like the GP system) is to sometimes use other systems, and those other systems include (a) my own choice; (b) Free Votes only; (c) commissions; (d) reader-contributed ideas that I like. And the GP system itself is designed to be somewhat wonky so that it occasionally throws out surprises.
MESSAGE THREAD
GP Polls · 07-10-23 11:18am
by Seuzz
Re: GP Polls · 07-12-23 10:56am
by Nostrum
*Star* Re: Re: GP Polls · 07-13-23 11:58am
by Seuzz

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Seuzz.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3572112