*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3596474
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #1474311
2023 Sign-ups are CLOSED. A month-long novel-planning challenge with prizes galore.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 28, 2023 at 4:38pm
Still Struggling with Some Things
Just a few minor things I can't seem to work out, you know, like the name of my MC and the sex of his mentor/spiritual being character. *FacePalm* I've tried doing What If for these things, but that didn't really help. lol

I have a fantasy western with a cowboy who is asked to deliver a message to a dying man's wife as the man's last request in his last breath. The cowboy agrees as he assumes the wife is local, but she's very far away and it's a long and dangerous journey to get there. I'd pondered the name Distan because he travels a great distance both physically and metaphorically. But I've also pondered the name Leo as someone had suggested. He's a bit cowardly, though it's often simply more a lack of desire to stick his nose into a dangerous situation for someone he doesn't know. But Leo is a bit back to the Cowardly Lion in the Wizard of Oz. Oh, or maybe Luke? Nice cowboy name, probably because of the movie, "Cool Hand Luke." Or Moses because he wanders much of the book in a desert? *Laugh*

And my cowboy's mentor/spiritual guide is a kid--maybe 8-ish? The cowboy (I'd use his name, but you know, refer to the previous paragraph *Rolling*) doesn't know, but the kid is the spirit of the unborn baby of the woman he's supposed to find. In the end, the kid is hurrying him up because the woman is in early labor. The cowboy doesn't even know she's pregnant. I'm not sure if the kid knows everything or knows everything from the beginning or knows everything by the end, but not in the beginning or what. Maybe he figures it out along the way or maybe he's just working on instinct. To me, this isn't super important to know...or at least I don't think it is. *Laugh*

Anyway, if the kid is a girl, then the message the cowboy is delivering could be "Nickel" or "It was nickel" or something, but he misunderstood the dying man who was saying Nicole and it's supposed to be the name he wanted for the kid. But the cowboy, so as not to ruin the surprise at the end, is told that her name is Nicki, but everyone calls her Baby Bean or Bean because I think that's a thing pregnant people call their kid. *Think* But if it's a boy, then that can echo back to the cowboy's history where his dad left him and his mom, then the cowboy left his wife and baby (though he didn't know about the baby) and in the end, he's able to make some sort of change in his life and he decides to stay with her and raise the boy instead of leaving him, too, after all the time he's spent with the kid. What to do? What to do?

Yes, I've tried to What If these things, but it didn't help. *Pthb*

Easter signature

And be sure to check out my challenge

FORUM
The Contest Challenge  (13+)
Join by entering a contest a month for 12 months--Win Badges! Catching up is allowed!
#2109126 by Schnujo is Late to Lannister

and my contest

FORUM
The Whatever Contest -- Closed for Now  (13+)
This irregular contest will change each round. Nature poem? Horror story? Whatever.
#2232242 by Schnujo is Late to Lannister

MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Still Struggling with Some Things · 10-28-23 4:38pm
by Schnujo is Late to Lannister
Re: Still Struggling with Some Things · 10-28-23 5:56pm
by QueenNormaJeanGreeneggs&vegham
Re: Re: Still Struggling with Some Things · 10-28-23 10:52pm
Re: Re: Re: Still Struggling with Some Things · 10-28-23 11:07pm
by s
Re: Re: Re: Re: Still Struggling with Some Things · 10-29-23 12:00am
Re: Still Struggling with Some Things · 10-29-23 10:03am
by Storm Machine
Re: Re: Still Struggling with Some Things · 10-29-23 11:21am
Re: Re: Re: Still Struggling with Some Things · 10-29-23 11:24am
by Storm Machine
Re: Re: Re: Still Struggling with Some Things · 10-29-23 5:46pm
by Anders J. Miller
Re: Re: Re: Re: Still Struggling with Some Things · 10-29-23 8:23pm
Re: Re: Re: Still Struggling with Some Things · 10-31-23 10:51am
by BrandiwynšŸŽ¶
Re: Still Struggling with Some Things · 10-29-23 8:48pm
by Showering Dutchessbarbie.
Re: Re: Still Struggling with Some Things · 10-29-23 9:25pm
Re: Re: Re: Still Struggling with Some Things · 10-29-23 11:58pm
by Showering Dutchessbarbie.
Re: Re: Re: Re: Still Struggling with Some Things · 10-30-23 12:38pm
by buddhangela's Psychotic Break
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Still Struggling with Some Things · 10-30-23 1:08pm
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Still Struggling with Some Things · 10-30-23 1:40pm
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Still Struggling with Some Th... · 10-30-23 1:42pm
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Still Struggling with Some Things · 10-30-23 1:42pm
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Still Struggling with Some Things · 10-30-23 1:45pm
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Still Struggling with Some Th... · 10-30-23 2:12pm

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, BrandiwynšŸŽ¶.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3596474