*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3635961
by Seuzz
Rated: 18+ · Message Forum · Fantasy · #2180090
Message forum for readers of the BoM/TWS interactive universe.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Mar 31, 2024 at 8:07pm
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Merry Christmas BoM community.
by Nostrum
I wish, but things have changed so much that it doesn't feel like Easter anymore.

Part of my issues is that, even if I'm not exactly a religious person, I do try to keep some respect to all things regarding Christianity, being raised around various denominations (mostly Catholicism and LDS, but also Evangelicalism, Pentecostalism, Baptists and a neighbor who happened to be Jehovah's Witness) and knowing a bit of each. When I was a kid, this whole week was a holiday (mostly since I studied on a Catholic private school), so "Spring Break" was alien to me. On Good Friday, it was always eating fish and seafood as well as some seldom-cooked food (like scalloped potatoes, though in my case they're pan-cooked and without milk or cream, instead using butter) while seeing old classics like The Ten Commandments or Ben-Hur (or even Cleopatra; so long as it was vaguely before the age of the Gospels, it was fair play). Local channels kept that degree of respect, foregoing all local and syndicated programming other than the news.

This year, I was surprised that the one channel I always thought would keep that respect for the Holy Week decided to air an on-going reality show about Latin-American TV and Internet celebrities living on the same house, for drama purposes. Now, I'll admit I'm following it every once or twice, just for the sheer ridiculousness of it, but I would've thought the channel, at least where I live, would have the sensibility to respect the period, therefore skipping the date and maybe (maybe!) do a special Saturday broadcast, if only since Saturday is often considered a "normal" day, if anything. Lo and behold, they rushed the traditional The Bible marathon in order to broadcast it.

And I've noticed that people simply stopped caring. One big issue I have is that I always - ALWAYS - sought to visit the local Comic-Con, which was often set on May. Of course, being graduation season, that means most people might feel conflicted about it, and after the pandemic years, they had to skip. When they reopened, they decided to do it during Holy Week - and for some reason I can't comprehend, they decided to reserve the dates of Friday through Sunday for it. Which pisses me off, because that means I can't go - because, despite not being a very religious person, I still feel a bit of respect for the serenity of this week. So, out of respect for the season, I've hard to forswear going to one of the two activities I always expected. And it's entirely possible that the organizers of the Comic-Con will never change the date from now on.

And that, to me, is a sign. I mean - if you're not a religious person, this is as much a day as any. If you're not a Christian, same thing - after all, how many of us have that same respect for Rosh Hashanah, or Hanukkah, or the feast of the Ramadan? But cut us people who still try to respect the meaning of this week some slack!

Anyways - I guess I'm rambling, so I'll stop. Maybe it's too much ado about nothing, to be honest. This day, or this week, might not hold that much symbolism to you guys, and that's fine. But if it means something, then... I'll share Prussian's feelings.

Happy Easter, y'all.
MESSAGE THREAD
Merry Christmas BoM community. · 12-25-22 10:37am
by ThePrussian
Re: Merry Christmas BoM community. · 12-25-22 2:06pm
by Nostrum
Re: Re: Merry Christmas BoM community. · 12-26-22 9:20am
by WondrousDream
Re: Re: Merry Christmas BoM community. · 12-26-22 7:57pm
by rugal b.
Re: Re: Re: Merry Christmas BoM community. · 06-05-23 8:38am
by Seuzz
Re: Re: Re: Re: Merry Christmas BoM community. · 12-25-23 5:22am
by ThePrussian
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Merry Christmas BoM community. · 03-31-24 6:38pm
by ThePrussian
*Star* Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Merry Christmas BoM community. · 03-31-24 8:07pm
by Nostrum

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Seuzz.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3635961