Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(333)
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Contest · #896794
Enter your story of 300 words or less.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Apr 10, 2024 at 8:56pm
April 10 Entry - "Come in!"
Thom stepped out of his old Corolla, adjusted the brim of his Gone Fishin’ hat and regarded the house before him. A lady named Tanya ran The Stockton Fish and Reptile Emporium out of the basement of her home, by appointment only.

He was a little early for his appointment but found himself stumped by an unexpected puzzle in his quest. From the driveway, Thom could spot three doors. Tanya hadn’t specified which door he should enter. The fact this was a stranger’s house made him nervous to pick the wrong one. Eventually he decided to approach the side door nearest the driveway.

Thom fiddled with a loose string on the hem of his t-shirt as he knocked on the door.

“Come in!” a man called from inside.

Thom cracked open the door and poked his head in. “Hello?”

“Hello! Come in!”

Thom entered the house. He was on a landing with stairs leading up and down. Thom headed downstairs toward the voice.
The basement was set up like a pet store. Rows of reptile enclosures filled the space and fishtanks lined the walls. Thom poked around the merchandise looking for the man. After a minute he realized he was alone in the store.

“Hello?” he said.

“Hello! How are ya!” the man responded, voice sounding from back near the staircase.

Thom furrowed his brow and started back in that direction. Just as he rounded the corner, a woman was stepping off the bottom stair. They jumped at the sight of one another.

“Oh, sorry!” Thom hastily apologized, “I’m Thom, I have an appointment, someone told me to come in.”

Tanya laughed. “Oh yeah, that’s Bernie.” She pointed to a nearby cage where a grey African parrot regarded them with a mischievous stare.

“Come in!” it squawked.

297 words
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
April 10 Entry - "Come in!" · 04-10-24 8:56pm
by FaeThorned

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Arakun the Twisted Raccoon.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3640819