*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/567985
Rated: ASR · Message Forum · Opinion · #230669
Religion as a reason for conflict
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Feb 3, 2003 at 9:25am
Re: Why I changed ( My thoughts on your Article)
by Bhaskar
Hi there Stardust,
We are, each one of us, 'called' in different ways. Yes, fellowship and support systems are extremely important. Some get it from within a structured environment (like the church), others can get it through other kinds of human gatherings/congregations.
I am indeed extremely happy for you that you have found comfort and love.

The point that I was making is a bit different. I have no problems with a church, mosque, or any other structured congregation that brings you closer to the divine. In fact it is wonderful.

I am not a Christian, but I make it a point to attend the midnight mass in the huge St Paul's cathedral in my home city of Calcutta.(it's the protestant mother church of North India; and I have prayed at the Vatican, Rome, twice in my life).

Unfortunately, in a 'human' organization, the word of God sometimes gets overtaken by the word of man. This Christmas, I went to the cathedral as usual for the midnight mass. There was a pastor visiting from South Africa who took the podium. We were all taken aback, when he started talking about India's 'backwardness' and there were fairly racist remarks, which no one had expected and they would never have heard from a tolerant, multi cultural Indian gathering in Dec 2002.

I now live in the Middle East, and while Islam, when it talks of a holy war or Jihad, talks of the war with our 'internal' demons, many goad the impressionable to violence and war in the external world. As far as I know, Islam talks about modest behaviour of women, but from many pulpits and maddrassas (religious schools) this is interpreted as words that stop women from getting educated, from working and so on. And people have faith, they will be led by anything.

In the beginning there was the word...... Amen, Om, Amin. Words can bind, but words and symbols can be dangerous too....and we have Hitler's legacy before us.
There are many many good people who carry his words and we get solace from them. Perhaps they are in the majority. But a few can create tremendous problems, specially when they bother with the organisational, hierarchical and political aspects of religion, paying lip service to Spiritual aspects.

I have faith in God, but there is somewhat more uncertainty in having faith in people who interpret the word's of God.

That is why I'd rather approach God directly.... Yes it is quite possible to do that.

You wrote a wonderful comment. What was offensive in it? Nothing at all. Peace be with you friend.

Bhaskar
THE QUIET CAT
** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only ** ** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **
** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **
MESSAGE THREAD
· 12-31-69 7:00pm
by A Guest Visitor
*Star* Re: Why I changed ( My thoughts on your Article) · 02-03-03 9:25am
by Bhaskar

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Bhaskar.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/567985