*Magnify*
Path to this Chapter:
  1. Every house is gone
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/1344938-Matters-Best-Forgotten/cid/467278-Every-house-is-gone
Rated: 18+ · Interactive · Action/Adventure · #1344938
adventures in a fantasy setup.
Chapter #1

Every house is gone

    by: the last cicada
Coona and her friends emerged from the woods, exhausted and confused. Like the proverbial lost walking around in circles, the girls had stumbled blindly in the darkness of the previous night in search of their village.

Finding themselves in a clearing with fences and signposts that spurted from the ground like weeds, a feeling of deja-vu hovered over them like a thick fog until they realized, they had passed upon this place before.

This clearing, devoid of citizens, livestock and houses (including similar dwellings such as dog houses and chicken coops) was all that remained of the girls' bustling community. Where homes once stood, a patchwork of flat geometric patterns of every size and deformation meandered across the landscape. This image seemingly projected an optical illusion that refused to go away by casually altering one's perception with a blink or a shift in the stance.

Hazzoos, a teenage boy who had grown up alongside the girls, had fallen asleep outdoors, still unaware that the world around him had changed. Leanna found him slumbering on top of a pile of dry crinkly leaves hidden beneath an old oak's voluminous shade. Gently, she tapped his shoulder and beseechingly whispered his name until he opened a pair of crusty eyes.

Meanwhile, Coona picked out the clear spot where her nuptial home to be would have been had the wedding celebrations concluded as expected. Shaken by the lack of resistance that her mind and body half expected, the unconsummated bride walked through areas where brick walls once stood and fell to the ground heaving and wailing. Drawn by her unrelenting cries, Fashi -- a large black dog -- approached to whimper her sympathy.

You have the following choices:

1. Look for more survivors

2. Leave the village

3. Another point of view

*Noteb*
4. Another point of view

*Noteb*
5. Another point of view

*Noteb* indicates the next chapter needs to be written.
Members who added to this interactive
story also contributed to these:

Story Outline   · Recent Additions

© Copyright 2024 the last cicada (UN: deadbluesea at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
the last cicada has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work within this interactive story. Poster accepts all responsibility, legal and otherwise, for the content uploaded, submitted to and posted on Writing.Com.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/1344938-Matters-Best-Forgotten/cid/467278-Every-house-is-gone