*Magnify*
Path to this Chapter:
  1. A seed planted
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/1972389-The-Holiday-Club/cid/1728925-A-seed-planted
Rated: 13+ · Interactive · Holiday · #1972389
A young woman embarks on some exciting holiday adventures.....
Chapter #1

A seed planted

    by: Jellyfish-Vote Green on May 2!
Josie glanced at the clock for what she felt was the thirtieth time that Saturday. Weekends never used to be this slow. There always seemed to be so much to do with time in short supply, although now she couldn't quite remember why exactly. Oscar, her ginger cat stirred on her lap for a moment to glance up at her, as though something interesting was going to happen and then proceeded to settle back down to sleep one he realised it wasn't.

Josie sighed. She wasn't exactly devastated that Joel had left - although admittedly his sudden move to the North of the Country was a bit of a surprise - but their relationship had been shaky for a while - they were both pushing thirty and no longer seemed to be the same people they had been five years ago. Which was, of course, ridiculous. Of course they were the same people. They just seemed to want different things these days.

Trying not to dislodge Oscar, she reached for the pile of books on the coffee table and flipped through them. They were the same kind of thing she usually read; thrillers, mystery. Suddenly she felt tired of them, as though she had been reading the books she had loved as a teen for ten years without even stopping to consider why. She looked down at her cat hair-y trackies, old slippers shaped like tigers and the blur of 80's comedy characters on the television in the background.

"If I stay like this now Oscar, I feel I will end up like this forever". She said aloud. The cat did not stir.

A moment later Josie, stood, sending the cat yowling from her lap as he sprung to the floor. Marching to the bedroom she used to share with Joel, she abandoned her house clothes for a pair of nice jeans and a stripy sweater with some heeled ankle boots, pinning her blond hair back into a fashionably messy bun and adding mascara and blusher to her pale face. Before she could think about it any more, she grabbed her bag and faux leather jacket and left the flat.

"Mission one accomplished" she thought triumphantly. She would go to the library and get some books out - different books though, not the same thing she always read. She would go to the horror, the Sci - fi and the romance sections and pick a book at random from each. That would be a good start - after all, books could take you to places, other worlds.....

The day was fresh and cold. It was February which meant Spring should be on the way soon but winter was still holding on fast. The sun was shining however and the sky was a gloriously bright blue. The library wasn't far - about a twenty minute walk and Josie felt better for being out in the fresh air. Shortly, she entered the modern library building, bright lights and rows of books accosting her as she entered. Just as she was about to head for the fiction department something caught her eye on The Board - a notice section opposite the automatic entrance doors where people pinned up cards with furniture for sale, evening craft clubs or wanted lift - shares and so on.

The A4 notice stood out for its bright colours and illustrations of aeroplanes and palm trees. Josie moved closer to read the text

THE HOLIDAY CLUB!

Want to travel?

Want to meet new people?

Want to experience new things?

Then join us!

Excitement and adventure begin here! Come to our meet up group on 22nd February at 6pm - all welcome, friendly relaxed atmosphere!

Come along to "The Slug and Lettuce" on Palmeston Road to find out more *Smile*


Josie frowned thoughtfully. 22nd February - that was today. The whole concept seemed bizzare - but it had an odd appeal. Josie HAD always wanted to travel. Joel had never been in to foreign holidays. He hated the sun - and foreign food. Usually they went to Cornwall or the Lake District for their holidays - which she had never minded, but now the seed had been planted in her mind, it seemed stuck fast. Suddenly her thoughts were racing - what if life after Joel wasn't just nights in with Oscar and a good book? What if she could be someone total different....live a different kind of life...?
Members who added to this interactive
story also contributed to these:

Story Outline   · Recent Additions

© Copyright 2024 Jellyfish-Vote Green on May 2! (UN: jennybowden at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Jellyfish-Vote Green on May 2! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work within this interactive story. Poster accepts all responsibility, legal and otherwise, for the content uploaded, submitted to and posted on Writing.Com.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/1972389-The-Holiday-Club/cid/1728925-A-seed-planted