*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1000186-The-Harmonica
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Horror/Scary · #1000186
"Music has powers to sooth the beast." Or does it?
The forest was still and silent. A glint of sunlight passed through the leaves and growth overhead, catching a bright piece of metal.

The harmonica sat silent amidst the leaves that covered the floor of the forest. It was looking for its next victim. It was very hungry.

*****


Tarlek and his elder brother were playing with a ball. They came nearer and nearer to where the harmonica lay, still and silent.

Junos caught the ball and threw it back to Tarlek. It was a wild throw. Tarlek scowled at his brother before running off after the ball.

The ball came to rest a few feet from the harmonica. The harmonica called to it silently. The ball hesitantly rolled nearer. The harmonica called again. This time, the ball rolled right up to the harmonica.

Tarlek came crashing through the bushes. He spotted the ball. He came and picked it up. Junos was right behind him.

Tarlek stopped suddenly. He had caught the metallic glint as the sunlight bounced off the harmonica. “What’s that?” he asked. He pounced on the harmonica.

“Hey, a harmonica,” Junos said excitedly. He held out his hand for it. Tarlek looked at the harmonica again. It was bright and shiny. It didn’t look as though it had been in the forest for a long time. He put it behind his back.

“Come on, you can’t play it. What’d you want it for?” Junos asked impatiently.

“You’ve got your flute. A harmonica’s different. It isn’t worth much. One of the village kids probably dropped it here. Why can’t I keep it?”

“I just want to see it. You’re no musician…” Junos said reasonably. It sounded like a sneer to Tarlek.

Tarlek was getting angry. He took the harmonica out and played a few random notes on it. Eerie music came out.

“How’d you do that?” Junos asked in surprise. He knew that Tarlek was tone deaf. How had he managed to come out with the haunting tune? Was it by chance?

The music continued as Tarlek blew more notes on the harmonica. Suddenly, the unfairness of it all came crashing down to him. Tarlek stopped blowing, but the music continued to swirl around them.

Junos frowned. He said slowly, “Hey, it’s not you. Where’s that music coming from?”

Tarlek began to think of his life at home. His parents never appreciated him. It had always been Junos who was the clever one. Junos the scholar. Junos the athlete. Junos the musician. Junos the responsible brother. Junos the genius. Junos, always Junos.

Whenever there was money for new clothes, it was always for Junos, never for him. He had to wear Junos' old clothes. If there was a new toy, Junos always got to play with it first. He had always been contented with Junos' old toys.

Tarlek had had enough. He took up the harmonica suddenly and hit Junos hard over the head. The crunch the harmonica made as it hit Junos on the head was deafening. Blood began to flow from the cut.

“What’d you do that for?”

Tarlek did not answer. The music grew louder. He hit out again and again at his brother. The hard sounds echoed around the forest, but Tarlek did not hear them. Junos was too surprised to run. His younger brother had always idolized him. He didn’t understand the reason for the sudden attack.

The music swelled. Junos’ head was now a bloody mess. He fell to his knees. Tarlek continued to rain blows on his head.

Junos fell forward onto his face. The music slowed, and finally stopped. Tarlek stopped too. Junos did not move. Was he dead?

Tarlek came to his senses. He stared at his brother’s unmoving body. He stared at the harmonica in his hands. The blood on it seeped into the harmonica’s holes. Then, there was the sound of a cackling laugh that echoed through the forest.

Tarlek kept staring at the harmonica. The blood had now disappeared through its holes. It was bright and shiny once more.

He shuddered. He threw the harmonica from him, wiped his hands on his breeches and ran back towards the village. He wanted to try and get help for his brother.

*****


The harmonica lay where it had fallen. It was contented. It would stay where it was for a while before looking for its next feed.
© Copyright 2005 duskiestar (duskiestar at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1000186-The-Harmonica