*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1001029-My-Brothers-Keeper
by pb8810
Rated: E · Short Story · Horror/Scary · #1001029
vampire brother horror
"It’s been a long time Brother.” Came the voice. Not recognizing, I turned around, looking toward the source of the words. “Over here brother.” Came from the other direction. I was still turning, looking. But there was no one here now, no one but myself and Sarah. I had nearly bumped into her in my little impromptu to dance.

“A little early to be drinking isn't it?” Asked Sarah, my usual server. “Sit down before your meal gets cold.” She had already placed the plate and silver at my accustomed place.

“Did you hear that?” I asked Sarah.

Sarah chose to ignore me and answered “It’s been slow, there’s been no one here all night tonight but me and Jerry.”, pouring my coffee cup full to the brim. “Here drink this. You need it.” She said, a puzzled look on her face. She turned away and went back to the front counter, shaking her head as she went. I could see her telling Jerry, the owner, what had gone on when he returned to the room from the kitchen. He just looked over in my direction and shook his head. Probably wondering why I wasn't spending my money here when doing my drinking, if I really had started early.

“That not real silver is it?” The unseen speaker’s voice whispered quietly in my ear.

I didn't move. I still didn't see any one. “No, it wouldn't be, not here. Would it?” Came the voice form behind me. I quickly turned around, again finding no one. The hair on the back of my neck stood straight up. I turned quietly back to my dinner, praying no one had seen me, my strained nerves tilting right on the edge.

“You haven't touched your dinner, it’s going to get cold.” The voice chuckled.

“Thank you.” I said nervously, dropping my fork from my hand. For now sitting directly across from me was as well as I could tell, well me.

“You might want to keep your voice down, those two can't see me. I have taken care of that just before you came inside. I could explain it to you but it would really take quite some time and you don't really have that much left you see.” I heard him say.

“What….” I didn't get the chance to finish before I heard the horrible scream coming from the hall. Jumping up from the table, I looked in that direction, searching for a reason for the scream, praying for a simple cause.

“I see they've found my snack.” I turned back to hear him better, I noticed I had some how missed that little speck of red on his chin. Looking closer, the spot no longer seemed as small. It seemed more like blood, the closer I looked. While I watched, more spots appeared on his shirt and he continued to speak.

“We really are brothers you know, but with the slight exception of me dying in the womb before you were born. I don't think anyone noticed both of us were even there. Just you. Do you know what that kind of thing can do to a person, even the undead?” I turned back in his direction. With a rush of misplaced air announcing his sudden appearance, he stood directly in front of me. His broad smile showed an even row of teeth with two protruding incisors stained only just the slightest stain of red. “ I really should brush after meals you know.”

The police had arrived and Jerry was speaking to them rapidly and pointing in my direction. Two very large uniforms with equally large men wearing them broke away from the bar, approaching me. “Excuse us Sir,” they said to me “we need to speak with you.”

“What…”

“My snack, the security cameras saw me follow the young lady in side, they think it was you. I'm sure she is quite dead.” My brother chuckled.

“Place your hands on the table Sir.”

“What…why?” I replied confused, looking back and forth between the two policemen.

“You are going to die in a few minutes. Resisting arrest you see. You are going to kill both officers in the process however, ripping their throats right out. Not a drop of blood left in either of them. You must be a real sick puppy.” My tormentor declared.

“They can't see you, why?”

“This one keeps talking to him-self, best call the Psycho team.” He shouted to the other policeman.

“Just from the looks of what was done back there, they've been called in all ready.”

“They can't see me because that’s the way I want it. As to why, that is also the way I want it.” He smiled and moving to quick for any eyes to follow, he kicked my legs out from under me, before I can catch my balance he had shoved me over into the policeman and onto the floor.

“He’s trying to get away!” One of the approaching policeman pulled out his stun gun, popping me a jolt that sent me into oblivion, un-able to do more than shake, un-able to speak. The handcuffs were on my wrists before I could even draw my first ragged breath.

“They never will figure out how you managed to live as long as you did, what with all that blood loss from the fight.” His grin widened, teeth showing even larger than before, his smile expanding over his face, farther than humanly possible. “ You just have to die you see. And destroying everything you've ever touched or loved is just getting even.”

Struggling as hard as I could against my bonds just seemed another feeble spasm. The police didn't even notice. “Why did you live and I die? I'm Damned forever to this existence!” His eyes blazing red, eating away at my mind. He stared straight into my eyes. His eyes, they were all I could see, I can't focus. My mind falling apart, filling with a dark boiling fog. This world slips away from me, those eyes tearing away at my soul!

The ambulance drivers had arrived, placed me onto the stretcher, strapping my arms. They hustled me into the ambulance, both of the officers climbing inside.

There is a pinch on the side of my neck, the pain becomes horrible, but I can't manage to scream any warning. Then it stopped hurting at all. I'm close to blacking out. The doors to the ambulance close shut. It’s cold. The ambulance starting to move. I can hear the screams from somewhere near me. More screams. Hideous. Louder. Are they mine or do they belong to some one else? I can't seem to .... focus...it's so cold now.... Cold. That’s what I remember about it...



© Copyright 2005 pb8810 (pb8810 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1001029-My-Brothers-Keeper