*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1001299-The-Mercenary
by ravyn
Rated: GC · Chapter · Sci-fi · #1001299
Ash is a mercenary hired to kill a powerful vampire named Nikolas but she gets caught.
Twilight Manor’s hallway was dimly lit by the silver crescent moon outside the undraped windows. The mercenary slid through the hall becoming one of the shadows dancing across the floors and black walls.
Coming to Nikolas’ room she stopped, taking a deep breath. This was one of the trickiest assignments she’d received in her three year career. She wouldn’t have even considered taking it and risking getting caught had it not been for the million paid in advance and the million promised after she brought the head of Nikolas to Angelina Sargo.
Ash hadn’t been surprised when the powerful vampiress came to her with wishes to have her partner assassinated. Vampires where like that, they never trusted their own kind. They we’re ruthless all of them but that she could understand. You had to be ruthless to gain respect and power. They also had all eternity to look forward to living to unless someone killed them.
So, here she was carefully opening the vampire lord’s door so as to not wake him. The sun was rising soon, not that that really mattered. The sun had no affect on vampires except that it stung their sensitive eyes. This is why most stayed inactive until the afternoon.
Ash approached his bed quickly and quietly planning on slitting his throat then taking his head while he slept. The only slight dilemma was that the bed lay before her empty, the blankets not even ruffled. Ash’s body tensed and swung around at the soft click of the door locking shut behind her.
Standing before her was an intimating figure of six feet and two inches, lean, and like all vampires, handsome. But it was not Nikolas. Instead it was a mercenary of the same guild as she and she wanted to know what the fuck he was doing in her way.
“What are you doing here Mortaca She demanded in her mind knowing full well that he would be able to hear her. ‘What Nikolas is paying me to do.’ He answered innocently. Though Ash highly doubted there had ever been an innocent bone in his body.
And what exactly is that.” Ash asked him glaring suspiciously. This job was going to make her two million dollars richer, and she valued money far more than she did Mortaca’s life. If he tried to stand in her way she would kill him.
“Lets go somewhere where you can talk to my employer without being spied upon.” He suggested wisely heading towards the veranda doors. Ash stopped him and forced him up against the door sealing her mind from him.
“I was hired to kill Nikolas, not negotiate with him.” She snapped. To her irritation he locked her emerald green gaze with his own hazel one, then he laughed. Right there, in her face. It took all the will power she had not to slit his throat right then.
The only thing holding her back was the aspect of Nikolas paying her better to not kill him. Mortaca slid around her easily and walked out the veranda doors never once looking back to see if she was following. Of course she was. She couldn’t turn down an offer better than Sargo’s
© Copyright 2005 ravyn (ravynfeathers at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1001299-The-Mercenary