*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1001381-Inspiration-Dispenser
by nomlet
Rated: E · Short Story · Comedy · #1001381
It's crunch time. Where do you look for inspiration?
11:00 PM

I looked, unblinking, at the clock beside my desk. Maybe I could stare time to a standstill.

11:01 PM

Maybe not. The liquid crystals displayed an appalling lack of sympathy to my plight.

This was supposed to be fun.

I scanned the clutter of my desktop, searching for inspiration. I knew there was a desk under there. It was more than an article of faith, I'd seen it. Besides, something must support all the clutter.

STOP IT! Focus!

I focused on Gonzo, the pez dispenser. Gonzo seemed happy enough; he was smiling. He was out of pez though. Maybe he had some inspiration stored away? Wow! An inspiration dispenser! Wouldn't that be cool?

"Hey, Gonzo."

Such good posture, ramrod straight. Spiffy yellow bowtie.

"What's going on, buddy? Huh? Talk to me, Gonz ol' boy."

Gonzo dispensed only silence. Pellet after pellet of silence.

"We never talk anymore."

Truthfully, this was our first actual conversation, one-sided as it was. The fact that it was taking place at all was not encouraging from a mental health perspective.

"How long have you been standing there anyway? A year? More?"

A lot more. And Gonzo wasn't even the longest tenured piece of junk on the desk.

"Gonzo, I'm in a bind here. I've got a deadline closing in and that clock over there is giving me no love. What do ya say? Help me out?"

I reached out and encouraged Gonzo to nod several times in acquiescense.

"Thanks, Gonz ol' buddy. You're a pal!"

Silence. Pellet after pellet.

11:04 PM

Oh well. Time was almost up and I had nothing to submit except a sigh of resignation. Once again I was not up to the Daily Flash Fiction Challenge. I'd have to hope for more inspiration next round.

Gonzo the Pez dispenser
© Copyright 2005 nomlet (nomlet at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1001381-Inspiration-Dispenser