*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1010591-Alone-with-You
Rated: E · Short Story · Family · #1010591
A girl's stuggle to get to know her Mom.
Alone With You


Melissa sat at the dinner table frustrated and confused, listening to her parents and siblings. Trying to be heard above the chaos, amid sounds of laughter, she feels alone.

Remembering all her extra chores and school projects, she wonders why her mother still hasn’t taken notice. “Maybe I just don’t measure up,” echoes through her head. Carefully watching the stunningly beautiful woman at the table’s end, she wonders why getting a few minutes of her time seems so impossible. The tender voice consoles her son after the lost football game, then turns and giggles at her oldest daughter’s poetry. “When will she notice me?”

Melissa has always been Daddy’s little girl. Fishing, playing ball or helping fix the car, getting his approval was always easy. It only took a smile. Her mother was a different story.

“I know,” she thought, “I will wear my hair and makeup just like her. I’ll practice wearing heels until I glide across the floor as effortlessly as she does. I will try to hold my tongue. Mom always says the perfect words to comfort anyone. Except me.”

Tuning back into the conversation around her, her sister is speaking about her exciting plans for the weekend. Everyone listened intently to her, as always. Melissa couldn’t take it anymore. In one sudden motion, she stood up, pushing away from the table. “Mom, I just want some time alone with you!”, she screamed. Her family stared at her in shock.

“I don’t know what to say.” Her mom said gently.

Melissa sat down as the pent-up tears of sixteen years poured out. “I just want some time alone with you,” she whispered. Reaching out for her with tear filled eyes her mother said, “I would like some time alone to get to know you too.”
© Copyright 2005 Shellyblueeyes (shellyblueeyes at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1010591-Alone-with-You