*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1010607-A-Charmed-Love-Chapter-Two
Rated: 18+ · Chapter · Romance/Love · #1010607
Tara remembers her past
         Tara was only six when she went to live with her Gran. She could still remember the tears in her first grade teacher's eyes as she gently broke the news that her parents had died in a car accident and that she was going to live with her grandmother.

         She fainted. She awoke to a vision of silver-streaked raven hair topping a time-worn face. Twinkling grey eyes smiled back at her as the woman gently soothed her.

         Days later, she found herself moved into the small apartment above Gran's store. The apartment was small; they were constantly bumping into each other. They shared the bed in the single bedroom. Tara did her homework on the scarred oak table that her grandfather had made while Gran did the paperwork for the store.

         Tara was a quiet child, older than her years. She had few friends, pushing those that got close away in fear that they too would die. Her best friend was Crystal Deering. The child of divorced parents, she soon grew tired of going between her parents. When her great aunt, Jacqueline Ashton, offered to let her live with her, she gladly accepted. Jacqueline was friends with Gran so the two girls spent much of their childhood together.

         Tara soon grew used to the constant bustle of Gran's life. The old woman was constantly on the move-preparing herbal remedies, treating the sick, hosting charity events; there was always something.

         When Tara was ten, she asked Gran to teach her the healing arts. From that day on, she was always at Gran's side, learning the different herbs and their properties. By the time she was sixteen, she was often going on house calls alone to treat the sick.

         When she turned eighteen, she argued with Gran for the first time. Gran was determined that Tara attend college. Tara was adamant that she would stay home and learn more from Gran. Gran being the strong, decisive woman she was, Tara soon found herself in college. With an eye to her heritage, she enrolled in the Nursing program.

         She attended college with her childhood friend, Crystal, who was pursuing a business major. Vibrantly full of life, Crystal drew Tara out of her shell. Now free of the restrictions of adults, the girls toured the town, meeting new people and seeking out the fun in life.

         The only dark period came when Crystal got involved with John Marshall their junior year. His smooth demeanor hid an abusive monster. When he left Crystal when she was 8 weeks pregnant, Tara was thrilled. No longer would she have to watch her friend come in night after night bruised and battered from his fists. Drawing on her Gran’s training, Tara provided Crystal’s prenatal care. When the time came, she assisted Gran in the birthing of the baby.

         The four years passed quickly, and Tara graduated at the top of her class. When she returned home, she found her Gran very sick. The once healthy woman was a shell of her former self, having lost a great deal of weight. The strain of illness showed in her eyes. When herbal remedies failed to make her well, Tara insisted on taking Gran to the hospital. When the diagnosis finally came in, it was cancer. The doctors offered little hope or time.

         "I'm afraid your grandmother doesn't have much time left," the doctor told Tara gently. "We'll keep her as comfortable as possible. I suggest you start making arrangements."

         When Gran learned that the doctors intended to keep her in the hospital, she was outraged. "I'm going home. If I must go to my Maker, I want to be surrounded by my friends and family. Not some strangers." She held out her hand to Tara. "Come, child. Take me home."

         The next two months seemed to go by slowly. Tara's heart broke, then shattered as she watched her once strong Gran reduced to an invalid. Since she could no longer care for herself, Tara patiently cared for her through the long days. Shunning sleep, she stayed by her side for hours, listening as the old woman talked about times gone by. Somehow Gran found the strength and continued to teach Tara everything that she knew.

         Tara left Gran’s side only to attend to the most basic of needs or when exhaustion overwhelmed her. Aunt Jackie visited frequently, preparing meals that Tara ignored and offering her support. Seeing Tara was on the verge of collapse herself, she sent Tara to bed. Only when she promised to call Tara at any change did Tara relent and lay down for a few hours. However, she quickly returned.

         Finally, one morning Tara came in to feed her Gran and saw the peaceful look on her face. When Tara saw her Gran's face, she knew it was time. Bursting into tears, she screamed, "No! I'm not losing you too. I already lost my parents. Please."

         The old woman took Tara's hand, gently soothing her through the tears. When Tara's sobs intensified, she pulled her close to her chest, enveloping her in love.

         "Don't cry for me, darling. I'm going to a better place," She said as her worn fingers wiped away the tears staining Tara's face. "Don't be afraid to love, Tara. Love is what makes the world go round. I know it hurts, but the love is worth all the pain. Remember your heritage, Tara. You come from a long line of healers. The Dupuy women have always used the natural arts to treat the community."

         The funeral passed in a haze for Tara. Sobs wracked her achingly thin body as the minister intoned the words. Crystal flew in from Baton Rouge to be by her side. People whose lives had been touched by Gran showed up in masses to pay their respects. Tara noticed no one. Once again, she was alone.

         The days after the funeral went by. Tara wandered the empty apartment. Sleep was a distant memory. Food no longer enticed her. She was lost in the desolation of her emotions, not caring how she looked.

         Late one night, about a month after the funeral, Tara was thrown out of her misery. A knock on the door brought her face to face with a very young boy. "Please Miss Tara, come quick! Mom needs you!" he cried.

         "I'm sorry. I can't," she replied brokenly.

         "Please!" Tears streaked the little boy's face. "My mom. The baby. We need you!"

         Remember your heritage, Tara. You come from a long line of healers. Gran’s words echoed through her mind. Shaking off the lethargy, she grabbed her medicine bag and followed the child through the labyrinth of streets to a ramshackle house.

         Entering the bedroom, Tara found a woman panting through the pains of labor as she tried to bring her child into the world. The woman's eyes lit up at the sight of Tara striding in with her medicine bag. "Thank you!" the woman cried. "The baby is coming!"

         Tara moved to the sink and washed her hands vigorously with the antibacterial soap she carried in her bag. She swiftly examined the woman, checking her vital signs and the progression of her labor. "It looks like it will be a little while, Anna. I'm going to brew you some tea to help with the pain. Okay?" she said soothingly.

         Reaching into her bag for the labor blend, she swept into the kitchen to prepare the tea. The pungent smell of the herbs assailed her as she poured four heaping tablespoons into a pot of water. After simmering for fifteen minutes, she let it cool, then strained it. Pouring it into a mug, she carried it to the laboring woman.

         "What's this?" the woman asked, sniffing the tea.

         "It's just a labor brew to help you with the pain and to get the delivery moving," she replied. "It won't hurt the baby. Drink up."

         Once the tea took effect, the labor progressed quickly. Before long, Tara held the baby in her arms. Checking the baby swiftly, she began to clean the small body.

         "Is my baby okay?" The woman sat up anxiously in the bed.

         "Yes, Anna, you have a beautiful baby girl. What are you naming her?"

         "I think I'll name her Lucille." Tara's head snapped up at the sound of Gran's given name. "Your grandmother taught you well, child. She would be proud of you," the woman continued with a soft smile.

         Lost in thought, Tara wandered back to the apartment. Her back ached from being bent to help the baby into the world, but for the first time since Gran’s death, she felt a sense of renewal. Oh Gran! I miss you so much. You were right. My destiny is in healing.

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1010806 by Not Available.
© Copyright 2005 ncblondie (ncblondie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1010607-A-Charmed-Love-Chapter-Two