*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1013713-Italianette
Rated: E · Short Story · Arts · #1013713
A short story on a nameless Italian girl's emancipation of love.
The beautiful, amazing roses sat upon the dreary window seal as the rain caressed the glass with a vague hum. She sat in the immense pile of pillows. Her mind was far from the world she lived in; the bottomless, cold, lonely world she could once call her haven.

The love of her life was now gone, yet not materially. It seemed his heart was someplace else, while hers long believed he loved her. After finding yourself betrayed by the one you trusted most, it’s almost impossible to ever love again. So, here she sat, just rotting away in her manor, slowly dissolving both heart and mind.

The fire crackled in the corner hearth and the room grew warmer, yet she felt no warmth. The bitter aftertaste was still freshly amidst her thoughts. Not able to comprehend what was to come next, she lifted herself from the last comfort she had.

The Italian sun was setting through her looking glass, and it peered into her soul. The long locks of wavy gold curtained her shoulders, her red satin dress damp with tears. She gave a heavy sigh as she left the window for the lavishness of her embers.

She began to recall memories from the evening, after he rejected her embrace. It was cruel, and obviously cold, but she felt another emotion arousing. It was a new one, one she had never experience before. A strong urge of her conscious told her exactly what it was: relief.

Yes… it was relief she felt. No longer was she barred by fake love. No longer would she have to suffer not knowing whether or not the favor as returned. And, no longer would she live a lie only she enjoyed. She had flown her cage. She had off.

Suddenly, the carillon chimed. Whisking back to reality, she roamed towards the door. Clenching the brass in her hand, she gently pulled. The rain was now pouring vigorously. And, as the smell of the dampness reached her, she saw him before her.

He tried to explain to her. That he was nothing with out her. He slowly reached out for her hand. Everything was spinning now. She couldn’t see clearly. Was this happening? Was this an effort for love again?

She stood chilled, as he slowly reached out. Then, all of a sudden, she slapped his hand from hers. Love only feels true when trust is in the picture, and she’d been betrayed before. Now, there was no way of going back. And, slowly, she shut the door without another word.

She slowly strolled back to her room. The warmth refreshed her. No longer was she crying. Her eyes were actually sparkling, their emerald-fresh glimmer. She was free from her cage, without anything holding her back. She knew love was out there, somewhere for her. Finally letting go, she laid down, traveling into her dreams, with love closer too her than before…
© Copyright 2005 Saru-Saru (d.a.z.z.l.e.d at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1013713-Italianette