*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1014787-One-in-A-Million-Friend
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Young Adult · #1014787
Ansley is disowned by her mom after announcing her pregnancy.
Chapter One

"Nikki, are you busy?" Ansley Cummings, my best friend since forever, asked me over the phone. Her normal cheerful voice was down.

"No, I don't plan on going anywhere. Every since I got my own place, I don't feel like going anywhere. Besides, I need to buy some more furniture for it, so I've been pouring through some decorating magazines." I said, going into the kitchen and getting a can of Sprite out of the fridge.

"Well, I need to come over. It's really important." Ansley said.

I knew something was wrong. But I don't want question her. I'll find out soon what it was though. "Do you want me to pick you up?"

"Yeah, come over."

"I'll be there in ten minutes." I put the phone back on the charger and looked around. My Orlando apartment was a dream. Right off International Drive, it was close to everything and everybody. It was one of my high school graduation presents, along with the silver Mercedes parked outside in the garage.

I grabbed my keys and purse from the kitchen bar and walked out the apartment, making sure to lock the door behind me. I was greeted by the early summer breeze as I walked down the stairs to the garage. I pushed the button my keypad and watched as the garage door lifted and revealed my new Mercedes.

I hopped in and put the car in reverse, backing out and pushing the remote to let the garage door back down. I drove out of the complex and to Kissimee, where Ansley lived with her parents.
The Cummings lived in Harrison Lake, one of the area's most sought after country clubs. I pulled into the driveway of the expansive Meditteranean style home and parked the car.

I walked around to the side door and knocked, then walked right in. Ansley told me to just knock once and then walk in. She said that there was no point in ringing the doorbell, especially if she knew ahead of time that I was coming. I walked through the laundry room and into the kitchen, which had stainless steel appliances and marble flooring imported from overseas.

"I'm upstairs." Ansley said.

I walked up the back stairs, which were the closest to her bedroom, and walked into Ansley's bedroom. Her bedroom was actually the "Nanny's Suite," as described on the floorplan. Her bedroom was over the garage and had a small sitting room with its own private balcony adn large bathroom with walk-in closet.

"Hey girl, are you all pack?" I asked as I sat on her bed and flipped through the photo album that had been sitting on the night table.

"Almost. I just need a few more things and I'll be ready. Do me a favor and unplug my cell phone. I don't want to kill the battery by overcharging it. Oh, and get my purse out of the closet. The Dooney and Burke one."

I unplugged the phone and put it inside her purse. Then walked into the bathroom to where she was, going through her makeup bag and tossing some things into a small train case. She tossed the bag into a larger one and walked into the closet.

"So, are you enjoying your apartment?" she asked me from inside the closet.

"Yeah, it's great. Maybe we can go shopping tomorrow for some much needed things. Sharon is going with me to pick some things out." I said. Sharon is my stepmother. My birth mother died when I was a little girl, so I don't really remember her much. My father was devasted, and it took him some years to get over her death. He married Sharon when I turned twelve, and he was just in time too, because three days after their marriage, I got my period. I was totally scared, because I was clueless and didn't know what to think of the situation. Luckily, Sharon explained it all.

"Okay, I'm ready to roll," Ansley said, coming out of the closet with a pair of shoes. She put them in the bag and zipped it up.

"Are you planning on moving it with me?" I asked laughing. I pulled the handle from the bottom and wheeled it out of the room. She grabbed her duffel bag and her purse and we walked downstairs into the kitchen.

As we passed the answering machine, the light blinked, indicating an unplayed message. "Do you want me to check the messages before we leave?" I asked.

"Yeah, push the button for me. I think my dad called, but I was in the shower, so I'm not really sure."

I pushed the button and the first message played. It was something for Mr. Cummings, so I didn't really pay any attention to it. The second and third messages were for him too, so I'd started to tune them out when Brian's voice, Ansley's boyfriend, came on the machine.

"Hey Ansley. I--I've been calling your cell phone and you're not picking up. I'm calling to say I'm sorry. I really am. I know it sounds like BS, but believe me. I'm sorry. Call me back. Please."

Ansley came into the room right as the message was ending. She put her purse on the counter, grabbed a Sprite of the refrigerator, and came over to the message area. She angrily pushed the delete button and went back to whatever it was that she was doing.

"Ans?" I asked, clearly at a loss of words.

"I'll explain later. Come on."

She set the alarm and we tossed the bags into the trunk of my car. I cranked the car up and put it in reverse. "Can you stop at Pizza Hut? I haven't had anything to eat all day." she said. She pushed the button on the side to recline it.

"Sure thing." I said, waiting for the car to pass so I could pull out.

"In case you're wondering, which I know you are, Brian and I broke up yesterday," she said, closing her eyes.

"What happened?" I asked. I remember the day she brought him over to the house so I could meet him. She met him when we were sophomores, during spring break. She told me he was the sexiest guy she'd ever met.

"He cheated with Marissa. His ex-girlfriend." she said. "Two years and he decides he wants to do this."

"I'm sorry Ansley," I said as I braked for the red light. "I really am. I know you loved him. And I thought he loved you."

"Yeah, I thought he did too. But you want to know what really hurts? I loved him, Nikki. I loved the hell out of him. But I'll be okay without him." She sounded unsure of herself at the last sentence.

I pulled into the parking lot of the restaurant, and got out of the car. I walked inside, greeted by the smell of pizza and breadsticks. I stood at the entrance podium, waiting for someone to come up. After a couple of minutes, a guy came up to the podium. "Welcome to Pizza Hut," he said. "Will you be dining in or out today?"

"Out. Can you deliver?" I asked. I wanted to get Ansley back to my apartment so we could have a serious girl talk.

"Yeah, we deliver," he said. So I gave him my information and he told me that it would take about twenty minutes. I got back in the car and drove back to my apartment. At the entrance gate, I pulled my card from my visor and swiped it through the machine. The gates opened to let me through and closed immediately afterwards.

"We're here," I announced. Ansley had dozed off at Pizza Hut, so I let her sleep the ten minutes it took to get to my apartment from the restaurant. I reached nto the backseat and got my purse.

"You stopped at the restaurant already?" she asked, unfastening her seatbelt and adjusting the seat back.

"Yeah. It's going to be about ten more minutes, give or take. Come on up. You haven't been here in a while."

I popped the trunk, got her bags out, and pushed it back down. I pushed the button on the keypad twice, locking the door and turning the alarm on. We walked up the wrought iron stairs to the second level to my apartment. I unlocked the door and let Ansley in first.

"Wow," she said, walking into the foyer. "I'd forgotten how it looked."

I closed the door behind me, locked it, and put the keys on console table and walked into the living room. Ansley had already sat down on the chaise and grabbed the stack of magazines.

"So these are the decorating magazines that you've been looking at," she said.

"Yep," I replied, sitting down on the sofa. "I'm thinking about taking them with me-us-tomorrow. I'll have to ask my father for some more money."

"You know he's going to give it to you, even if you don't ask. How are they doing? Your dad and Sharon?" she asked, putting the magazines back.

"They're fine. Like I said, Sharon is supposed to be coming over early morning." I looked at my watch. "Come on, let me show you around before the pizza arrives."

I took her down the hallway to my bedroom. My bed was made, which is surprising, because I never wanted to make it when I was little. I guess it's the whole thought that I have my own place and it needs to look nice. My television was sitting comfortably in the armoire that matched the rest of the bedroom set, which included the headboard, footboard, nightstand, chest, and dresser.

"This is cute Nicola." Ansley said. "Where'd you get it?"

"That new store downtown. And here's the bath, which is a good size, if you ask me. And the closet is over there." I said, pointing to the door on the other side of the room. "It has built-ins."

"Awesome," Ansley said. I showed her the rest of the apartment, then Ansley went to the guest bedroom to put her bags up. I went to the living room to charge my cell phone. Ansley came into the room and sat down. She opened her mouth as if she was about to say something, but the phone rang."I'll get it," she said.

I leaned back against the chaise and closed my eyes. Something's definitely wrong. I decided to let her tell me when she wanted to tell me. I don't want to force her. If she doesn't tell me now, she will later. She can never go long without telling me something.

"Pizza's here. I gave him the apartment building and number. I'm going to the bathroom." She walked down the hall.

I reached into the cabinets for some plates, then changed my mind and put them back. It's just us. We can eat out of the box like we did when we were little. The doorbell rang just as Ansley came out of the bathroom. "I got it," I said, taking a shortcut, beating her to the door.

I opened the door and there stood the cutest guy I'd ever seen. He had dark brown hair, deep brown eyes, and the perfect tan. I could see the muscles and his abs were perfect for me, even though he wore the required uniform. He flashed a smile and looked at the reciept taped to the box.

"4932-D Mimosa Drive? A Nicola Lawson? Large pepperoni pizza with breadsticks and a soda, right?" he asked.

"Here,let me get that for you," I said, taking the pizza and handing it to Ansley. I reached for the soda, tucked it under my arm, and reached into my pocket for some money. I paid him twenty-five dollars with the tip, and flashed him my pearly whites before closing the door.

"Oh, this smells good." Ansley said, getting some cups from the cabinet and putting ice in them. I opened the soda, letting it calm before pouring some into the cups. "I am so hungry. I feel as if I haven't had anything to eat in days."

We put the pizza box onto the table and began to eat. There were two slices left when we both decided that it was time to stop being greedy. "I am so tired." I said, yawning. "I think it's PMS." I got up from the table, put the pizza on the counter and walked into the living room.

"It's just nine o'clock." Ansley said. "But you're not the only one tired. Hold on-my phone's ringing." She left the room to answer her phone.

I put the remaining soda in the refrigerator, wiped the table off, and went to linen closet to get some sheets for the guest bed. I found some pale yellow ones, a white comforter, and the matching pillowcases and headed to the guest bedroom.

I put the sheets and stuff on the dresser and started to make the bed just as Ansley came in. "If Brian calls me one more time, I'm going to scream." She walked around to the other side so she could help.

"How many times has he called you?" I asked,tucking the sheets. Ansley tucked her side and unfolded the comforter. "I don't know. Maybe ten, fifteen since yesterday."

"Wow," I said. I picked up a pillow and put the case on it. "I can't believe he did that."

"Nicola, the breakup isn't what made me come over tonight. Well, it is, but that's not the whole thing. The real reason I came over is because I'm late. Really late. I was supposed to get my period on graduation night. And we both know how long ago that was."

"Five weeks ago. Have you taken a test?"

"No, because I don't know if it's just really late, or if I am really pregnant. My period has skipped before. But I don't feel right. I'm getting dizzy when stand up too fast, and I've been throwing up." Ansley said, sitting down on the bed.

"Oh Ans," I said, walking around to hug her.

"What am I going to do? I mean, if I'm pregnant? What is my mother going to say? What's Brian going to say?" she sobbed.

"Look, I am going to go down and get a pregnancy test, and you're going to take it. If it comes back positive, we'll just call a doctor tomorrow so we can get it confirmed. But relax, I'm with you all the way, okay? I mean Ans. Now, you stay here and I'll be back ASAP. If Sharon calls, tell her I'm still on for tomorrow." I walked out the room, grabbed my keys and phone, and took the stairs two at a time.

I unlocked the doors, got in and closed the door, trying to absorb what my best friend had just told me. Then I drove down to the pharmacy around the corner. I pulled into the spot closest to the door, left the car running, and ran inside.

I found the aisle with the pregnancy tests, grabbed one of the digital ones, and picked up some Midol. I headed to the counter just as the customer left.

"Hi, how are you?" The worker asked. She scanned the items.

"Good," I said, and gave her the I'm-in-a-rush smile. I handed her the money, took the bag, and walked out and got back into the car. Five minutes later, I was at the front door of my apartment. I quickly unlocked the door, went inside, and closed it behind me. Ansley was still sitting on the bed.

"Here you go," I said, handing the bag to her. "How are you feeling?"

"Well, in the ten minutes that you've been gone, I've only puked once," she said with a smile. She opened the bag and looked at the test. "Oh, you got the digital one."

"Yeah, and there are so many to choose from." I said.

"Okay, I'm going to go and make myself piss. But I don't think that will be necessary." Ansley said.

I walked across the apartment to my bedroom and got in my bed. I closed my eyes, hoping that I wouldn't fall asleep. I got up, turned the stereo on, and waited.

"Nikki, come here." Ansley called out five minutes later.

I went to the bathroom and saw the pregnancy test on the counter. Ansley was sitting on the edge of the tub. I put the lid the down on the toilet, and picked the test up, but not looking at the result.

"Have you read it?" I asked her.

"No, I can't. You read it."

I looked at the test. "It's positive."

"Oh my gosh." Ansley said. She closed her eyes to let it sink in. "What am I going to do? How am I going to tell my parents? How is Brian going to react?"

"Listen Ansley, I'll help you tell your parents. And Brian too." I added as I put the test on the counter.

"Thanks Nicola." she said. "I'm really scared. I don't want to tell my parents, especially my mother. You know how she is. Strictly traditional. She's going to make me terminate my pregnancy. And you know that I'm against abortions. I'm not going to terminate my pregnancy, Nik. I'm not doing it." she said as the tears began to fall.

"It's going to be okay. Now, your parents won't be home for another couple of days, so we can figure something out bwtween now and then. As for Brian, I don't know. What exactly happened?"

"As you know, he cheated on me with his ex, Melissa. He'd tell me he was going out with his friends when in reality he was going to see her. One day, when he was over, his phone rung. He got up and looked at the ID, but didn't answer it. It rung and rung and rung. So, once he'd left to take a shower, I went over to see who was calling. The display had that there were five missed calls, so I pushed the button to see who they were from.The only thing that would identify whoever it was that was calling was the number 5. So I pushed five and it dialed the number."

I couldn't imagine how she was feeling as she was doing all of this. I mean, I would have been really pissed off. Ansley wiped her eyes, then continued.

"So, the phone is ringing and on third ring, she picks up and goes,"Hey baby. I'm waiting." I was shocked. Then I told her who I was and asked who she was. That's when I found out that it was his ex-girlfriend. She hung up afterwards. So I closed his phone and sat down on the bed, waiting for him. He came out and immediately he started talking really fast, getting all nervous and stuff. I stood up, handed him his clothes, and told him that he had better leave or I was calling the cops."

"So how in the world are we going to tell him that you are pregnant with his child?" I asked, putting my feet up.

"I don't know. I don't know what I am going to do. But right now, all I want to do is take a shower and watch a movie. Just to get my mind off of this. My life is going to change dramatically, and right now, I just wish that this never happened. I mean, I am eighteen years old and I'm an adult, but I hadn't planned on getting pregnant. It just happened, you know? You're caught in the moment with the guy you love and who you thought loved you back. After a drink, you follow your instincts, not thinking twice about it. Then, the next thing you know, he's left you to be with his ex and you find out that you're pregnant with no idea on what's going to happen, how you're going to deal with it, what you're going to do, and how you will tell everyone, especially your mother. A mother who isn't very motherly at all."

"She's going to make me terminate this pregnancy. I know this for a fact. However, terminating my pregnancy is not on my list. I'm going to have this baby no matter what. I refuse to become a statistic. I don't want to have an abortion and look back on this twenty years from now and regret it. I will never get over it. I'll never get over it Nikki, never." she said, as the tears began to come. She leaned on me and cried her heart out.

It hurt me to see my friend so upset, but I knew that there was nothing that I could do but help calm her. I let her cry, rubbing her back. I knew that I had to be the shoulder to cry on, the person she could rely on. I thought about how our lives would change. No more partying and staying out late. For the first time in a long time, I felt helpless. I wanted to cry but I knew I couldn't.

Ansley raised up and wiped her face with the back of her hand. "You must think I'm the world's biggest crybaby," she said.

"Actually, I don't. You're the reacting the same as anyone would. Now, do you want to take a shower? The water gets pretty hot. I'll go and get the towels from the closet."

"Yeah, I'll do that." She got her bag from the floor and unzipped her bag, getting her things out. "I'll be in the shower."

She went to the bathroom while I walked to the linen closet, got the towels and delivered them to her. Then I went to my bathroom for a period of rest and relaxation. I brought the cordless phone in with me, in case Sharon called. I turned on the water, letting the tub fill and poured some cucumber melon body wash in, making thousands of bubbles and transforming my bathroom into a tropical retreat. I dumped my clothes into the hamper, put my hair in a high ponytail, took my earrings out and turned the water off. I stepped in and leaned against the neck pillow from Bath & Body Works. The water felt good on my skin, making me relax. I closed my eyes.

About fifteen minutes later, I bathed, rinsed my body off, and pulled the plug. The water gurgled down as I dried off, rubbed lotion on, and put my cami and pajama bottoms on. I slipped into my fuzzy slippers and went to see if Ansley was okay.

Ansley was sitting on the floor, flipping through the channels. "There's absolutely nothing on television," she said.

I sat down next to her and went through my DVD collection. "How about popcorn and a movie?"

Ansley hesistated. "Oh what the hell," she said a few seconds later. "After all, I'm eating for two, right?"

"Yeah, and now you have an excuse to overreat." I'm going to pop the popcorn, you pick the movie." I went into the kitchen and got a bag of popcorn from the cabinet. I removed the plastic and put it in the microwave. While it popped, I went to my bedroom and pulled out an old yearbook. This should bring some laughs, I thought as I went back into the kitchen. The popcorn was finished, so I put it in the bowl and sprinkled some salt on it. I poured two glasses of lemonade and put it all on a tray.

"Popcorn and lemondade. I could get used to this." Ansley said. She put the bowl between us and took a handful. I stuck the movie in the DVD player and while we watched it, I didn't pay that much attention to it. When it was over, I put the dishes in the sink, glad that I was on my own and could wash the dishes whenever. Ansley went to her bedroom and I went to mine. I pulled the covers back and slipped into the coolness of the sheets. I turned the TV on, but I put it on sleep, just in case I fell asleep. The last thing I remember before falling asleep is praying that we'd get through this.

© Copyright 2005 brooklynchase (brooklyn07 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1014787-One-in-A-Million-Friend