*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1015318-Coinflips-Writing-Process
Rated: 18+ · Other · Other · #1015318
This is my own "patented" writing process, that I will be using for my novels.
This is my own "patented" writing process, that I will be using for my novels.

Coinflip's Writing Process:
---------------------------
1. State problem(s) for protagonist to solve.
[1 main problem, any # of "distracting" or sub-problems.]

2. For each problem, create a conflict or character the protagonist must encounter/interact with. ["Tunnels and Trolls" approach]

3. Enumerate a "base set" of scenes.
[These will be the "trunk" of our "decision tree" that forms our plot.]

A scene can EITHER be:
a) One of the conflicts/characters we created in Step 2.
["Base" scenes]

OR:

b) Character Development on any character(s), including our protagonist.

Character development is done solely to entertain reader... just like setting. FLUFF that is put in last.

c) Setting Development (or story-furthering) -- often just a paragraph doing a "time lapse". Also can be fluff put in at the end to put a "finishing touch" on the novel.

4. Write all of each of the type a) scenes (rough draft, of course), without any reference to any setting!!!

5. Write type b) & c) scenes, and add setting. (Note: setting = chronology, locations)

6. Re-write the type a) scenes to match the setting, and to gel with the type b) & c) scenes.

7. Go in and re-write everything to polish it... take out meaningless dialogue, characters, and scenes; add descriptions, anything else we forgot.

That's it! (I hope!)
© Copyright 2005 Coinflip (coinflip at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1015318-Coinflips-Writing-Process