*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1015858-Dreams
Rated: E · Short Story · Children's · #1015858
about the dream of a foster child
Dreams


Even at the early age of five, Shawn Roberts couldn't stay out of trouble. Six months after he was born, his mother died. As a result, and because of his penchant for trouble, he was constantly shipped from one foster family to another. He felt his foster families didn't understand him, and since he was so young (at first,anyhow), he couldn't express what he was feeling, which frustrated him to no end.
As he grew, he felt he was understood more, but not to the same extent his biological father would, if he only could find him.


Shawn always felt if he could only find his father, his life would be so much better. At least, some of time he felt this way. But mostly, he enjoyed life with the foster family of the moment.


Shawn had once again run away from his current foster family. This was the third time he had run away from this specific family, and without realizing it, he had put his future with the family in jeopardy.
When Shawn returned a few hours later, he was surprised to see the social worker assigned to his case sitting on the living room couch, having a cup of tea.


“Why do you keep running away, Shawn? Is your life here that terrible? Because if it is, you just need to tell me, and I'll find you another family you feel more comfortable with.” Jane Sullivan, the social worker said.
Shawn was silent.
Katherine Horton burst into tears, as if his silence was an admission he did want to find another family.


“Do you really want to leave us, Shawn? Because if that's what you really want, we'll let you go. We just want you to be happy. We love you so much.”
“I just want to find my father!” Shawn said, and ran to his room.
There was an embarrassed silence, then Katherine said she would go talk to him. Jane stopped her, and said maybe it was best if she went.
Jane knocked on Shawn's closed door. Shawn ignored her, but she turned the knob, and walked in. Shawn was at his computer, playing a video game. He didn't acknowledge Jane's presence.
“Shawn, come and sit down. I'd like to talk to you.” Jane said.


Shawn rolled his eyes, and joined Jane on the bed. She leaned over, and hugged him.
“Is that what all this running away is about? You're looking for your father?” Jane asked.
“Yeah, I am. But I wonder if I ever will.” Shawn said, ready to give up.
“With that attitude, you're right: you probably won't.”
“C'mon, Jane! How much chance do you think I have of finding him? I don't even know what he looks like, or even if he's still living in this town. I have nothing to go on.” Shawn said, despairingly.


“You're right. I'm sorry. I am looking for him, but even though I know a bit more than you, I don't know where he is.”
“What do you know about him?” Shawn asked, curious.
”I can't tell you that. I don't want you to run away again, and possibly find him. That would really hurt that lovely couple downstairs. I want you to promise me you won't run away again.”
Against his better judgement, Shawn heard himself make the promise to Jane.
“Shall we go downstairs?” Jane asked.
Shawn shrugged, and followed Jane down the stairs.


In the living room, Shawn apologized to his foster parents for running away. He also promised never to do it again.
Over the next few weeks, Shawn was hard pressed to keep the promise he had made to Jane, and his foster parents.
A month later, Shawn was coming home from school, when he recognized Jane's car in the driveway. Curious, Shawn entered the house.
“I'm glad you're home, Shawn.” Jane said.
“Have you found my father?” Shawn asked, hopeful.
Jane shook her head.
“I'm sorry, Shawn. Not yet. I won't give up the search, though. I promise.”
“Then, why are you here?" Shawn asked. "Why aren't you out looking for him?” Shawn continued.
“It's come to my attention, Shawn, that you've run away yet again. Is this true?” Jane asked.


“So what if it is true?” Shawn asked.
“If it is, I'm very disappointed in you.”
Shawn hung his head, and confessed his guilt. Tears sprang to his eyes.
”I'm sorry. I just want to find my father so much.” he said.
Jane came over, and hugged him.
“I understand, Shawn. But with no information to go on, you're not going to get anywhere.” Jane pointed out, sympathetically.
Jane still had something to say.
“In light of this, Shawn, you can't stay here anymore. I'm sorry.”
Shawn turned to Katherine and John, who were also in the living room.
“You don't want me anymore? Why? I thought you loved me.”
“We do love you, Shawn. But you broke your promise to us. We just don't feel we can trust you anymore. We're sorry.” Katherine said, with tears in her eyes.


Shawn turned back to Jane.
“Where am I going to go?” he asked.
“I've found another family. It wasn't easy, but I managed it.”
“Do I have to change schools again?” Shawn asked. Every time he moved to a different family, it seemed to him he had to start all over again at another school.
“Well, yes actually. I'm sorry. I know you don't like changing schools. But you brought this on yourself. If you had kept your promise, this wouldn't be happening.” Jane said.
The next day, Jane helped Shawn move in with the other family. A few weeks later, when he was more or less settled in, Jane called him.
“Any luck finding my father?” he asked.
“I'm sorry, Shawn. I'm still looking.”


“How hard can it be for you? You probably know his name. While I don't know anything about him.” Shawn said, fishing for any information about his father. Jane realized what he was doing.
“I already told you, Shawn: I can't tell you anything.”
“C'mon, Jane. Just tell me his name, if you even know it.” Shawn said.
“I do know his name. At least I think I do. I just can't tell you. It's confidential. I'm sorry.”
“Confidential. Even from me? I'm his son. I have a right to know.” Shawn said.
“I'm sorry, Shawn. I can't tell you. Please don't ask me again.”


“Does he even know about me?” Shawn asked, refusing to give up.
“No, he doesn’t. But if I find him, I’ll tell him everything about you. Now, please don't ask me anything else about your father. If I find him, I'll tell you everything. I promise.”
Whenever Shawn had any kind of contact with Jane; whether over the phone, or in person, he pestered her about information regarding his father. However, she refused to give an inch regarding the information.
“You may as well give up, Shawn. I'm not going to tell you anything, unless I find him. Then, I'll even let you read about him.”
“I just want to know him, Jane.” Shawn said, frustrated. “I feel like such a misfit. The few friends I’ve managed to make know their fathers.”
“I know, Shawn. And I'm doing my very best to find him so you can get to know him. Just give me a bit more time.”
“How much more time?” Shawn mumbled.
***
Nearly seven months later, Jane called Shawn and told him she had to go on a business trip for a few days. She knew, suddenly, where his father was.
“Where are you going?” Shawn asked.
“Vancouver. I leave tomorrow.”


When Jane landed in Vancouver, she took a taxi to her hotel. She wanted to rest before she met with Greg Talesser, the man she thought was Shawn's father. After a few hours, she called the number she had for him. She introduced herself, and told him she had some possible news for him. They arranged to meet at his house in half an hour.
Greg told Jane his address, and they hung up.
Fifteen minutes later, Jane left her hotel, and took a taxi to Greg's house. He answered the door, then led the way to the living room, where they sat down.
Jane opened a file folder, and showed Greg a picture of Shawn; two pictures, actually: one of him as a baby, and a more recent picture.
“That looks like a nice boy. But I don't understand why you're showing me his picture. Am I supposed to know him? And why does he look so much like me?” Greg asked, with a confused look on his face.


“Mr. Talesser-“ Jane began.
Greg interrupted her.
“Call me Greg, please.”
“All right. Greg. Did you ever know a woman by the name of Alison Roberts?” Jane asked.
“She was my fiancée.” Greg said.
“How did she die?”
“She had leukemia. At the time, I couldn't cope with that, so I left to see the world. I wasn’t gone for that long. By the time I came back she was still alive. I went to see her, to apologize for leaving, and I could tell that she didn’t have much longer to live. I remember that she was trying to tell me something, though. But before she could tell me whatever it was, she died.” Greg broke down in tears.
“I'm sorry to hear that. Before she died, she had a child. This child.” Jane said, indicating Shawn's picture.


“I still don't understand.” Greg said.
“Greg. This child is your son. His name's Shawn.” Jane leaned back to watch his reaction.
Greg picked up the more recent picture of Shawn, and stared at it.
“I have a son? My God, this must have been what Alison had been trying to tell me.” Greg said, incredulous.
“Yes, Greg. You have a son. And he wants to know you so much.” Jane said.
”I never knew about him.” Greg said, as his tears changed to ones of joy.
“I know you didn't know about him.”
“I knew I shouldn't have left Alison, but I was young, and I made a mistake, but if I knew about him, I would have been there. I swear it. Where is he?” Greg asked.


“He's in Ottawa. He goes to a good school, and he's a good student.”
“How old is he?” Greg asked, mesmerized with the picture of his son.
“Thirteen. He'll be thrilled when I tell him. He's living with a foster family.” Jane said.
“I want him to live with me.” Greg said, without taking his eyes from the picture.
"Of course. Do you mind if I call him? Jane asked, happy for both Greg and Shawn.
“No of course not. You can use the phone in the kitchen for privacy.” Greg showed Jane to the kitchen, then went back to the living room.
When the phone rang, Liz answered. Jane explained everything, then asked to speak to Shawn, but he was out with friends.
“Okay, well just be sure Shawn’s ready when I come tomorrow afternoon. Oh, please don’t tell him the reason. I’d like to tell him myself.”
“He’ll be ready, don’t worry. And I won’t breathe a word of the reason.”


When Shawn came home, Liz told him that Jane had called. She then told Shawn to get his things packed. Jane was arriving the next day to pick him up. Shawn didn’t understand why.
“I didn’t do anything wrong. Why am I leaving? I want to stay.”
“She said she wanted to tell you herself. Make sure you’re ready by tomorrow afternoon.” Liz hugged Shawn then.
“I’m so happy for you, Shawn. I’m sorry you’re leaving, but you’ll be happy where you’re going.”
“I wish I was staying here.” Shawn grumbled, as he went upstairs to pack.
The next day, Jane drove up to where Shawn was staying, and rang the doorbell. Liz opened the door, and said that Shawn was getting some last things together.


Shawn came downstairs, and saw Jane.
“Why am I leaving, Jane? I want to stay here.”
“I’ll tell you in the car. We have to hurry, or we'll miss our flight.” Jane said.
In the car, Jane said:
“Shawn, I found your father. He's living in Vancouver, and he wants you to live with him.”
“What's his name? And what's he like?” Shawn asked, excited.
Jane started to give Shawn a file on Greg Talleser, then stopped.
“On second thought, I’ll give it to you on the plane. I know you get sick if you read in the car.”


Five hours later, Jane and Shawn landed in Vancouver, and took a taxi to Greg's house. Greg was waiting outside for his son. As they pulled up to the house, Shawn started to cry. Greg told him not to cry, then he said
“I know I’ve made mistakes in the past, but if you’ll let me, I’ll make up for them tenfold. Welcome home, son.”




© Copyright 2005 andrea zuckerman (michipotter at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1015858-Dreams