*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1016042-his-wife-was-a-misfitbut-not-to-him
Rated: 13+ · Other · Experience · #1016042
imagine showing up to an important event dressed completely wrong
This subject brings to mind a situation that took place about ten years ago. To picture the night in question you really need a few basics about us. Rex, my man is a sweet down to earth,6'1" brawny gym rat. He is a teddy bear kind of guy who also happens to be a nuclear physicist. He does everything - eats, sleeps, you get it, with numbers in his head. This also goes hand in hand with the fact that he is a notably challenged person where the need for common sense is called upon. He gardens and does all the work on our home himself, usually in his farmer John overalls. Best of all, he thinks the sun rises and sets with me.

What can be said about me? My name is Lee. I have always marched to my own drum beat. I am 5'5", gratefully very slender since I find any kind of work out to be manual labor. I thanked the Powers that be the day Rex told me it would make him happy if I didn't need to be employed since it made him feel inadequate, as a husband, in the truest of southern thinking.A career was never on my top ten list so becoming a stay at home Mom made me beyond happy. I love kids, yours, mine, the kids up the street,they're all welcomed in our house. And I love my four precious and far too verbal dachshunds.

I adore dancing and any reason to dress up for it. After three series of dance class, Rex and I managed to work the dance floor together and my feet have been relatively safe. I have six tattoos. We each got our first in our late twenties, nearly causing my parents to have heart failure. If you looked into my closet you would swear five different women live in there. They do and they are all me! We are classic examples of how opposites attract and we compliment each other perfectly.

Rex and I have been known to be perfectly at home, pretty much anywhere, from the covered dish dance at the camp ground to the fund raiser at the Governors Mansion.

It was during the Christmas season that we were preparing to attend the installation of the Most Worshipful Master, at the main Lodge of the Shriners, in our city. This was a great honor for a business acquaintance to Rex, as well as an honor to be on the invitation list. As most women would do, I "sent" my man to find out what the future "Mrs. Worshipful" would be wearing. Knowing that I would worried about wearing just the right thing. I was delighted when he returned to let me know that we should dress for the holidays since the ceremony was always set during the Holidays to incorporate them into the festivities after the formalities were concluded. After carefully coordinating my ensemble I was set and excited for what promised to be a wonderful night.

When the hour arrived, I appeared to the smiles of a most appreciative spouse and I was confident by his reaction that I did a good job donning the holiday. We were off.

We arrived at the Lodge, on time, took the elevator up to the second floor and when the doors opened I was stunned beyond belief. We entered a huge gathering of antiquity. The youngest couple had to be in their seventies. Fur coats of every kind ambled about, fresh out of cold storage. My husband froze in time as he prepared to help me from my floor length, cape, agonizing for me and prepared to follow my cue. Totally flushed, and grateful I could blame it on the cold and frosty weather, I did the only thing any self respecting woman about to embark on the fopa of her life. I held my breath, squared my shoulders and tightened my always erect posture and let him have my cape. I can't swear to it, but I was certain by the immediate though contained reaction, someone must have fainted.

My sequined "little" black dress clung perfectly to my form. The neckline dipped just enough to allow a playful amount of cleavage. Nude hose disappeared into black satin, 4" stilettos not camouflaging any of the tattoos on my well shaped legs. From the back the dress dipped to my ribs revealing a sizeable hummingbird and florals beautifully tattooed on my entire shoulder blade.

I had one saving grace. My jewels were stunning even to the conservative crowd I found myself in. Ten carats of a breathtaking diamond dog collar circled my throat, the matching bracelet around my left gloved wrist complimented by a stunning diamond and gold watch on the right. My gloves traveled up the length of my arms leading your eyes to my simple matching earrings,that peaked out from beneath my trendy burgundy hair festively reflecting the glitter thanks to the series of chandelier that led the way down the long hall. You could have heard a pin drop as my handsome escort led me to the great hall where the ceremony would take place.

During the instillation I was able to compose myself so I would be able to again walk and breathe at the same time. The ceremony was beautiful though a bit lengthy and reminded me of King Arthur and his Knights.

At the banquet that followed I mingled as if I was a princess at a ball, giving no hint of my anguish, smiling and shaking hands to each introduction. Dinner was a tasty blessing, affording me time to sit and renew my courage. There were speeches and awards given and then the dance floor opened.

At first I was crazed thinking no one would ever put on something to dance to and feared I would just break into tears if I wasn't able to distract my mind from this incredibly uncomfortable situation. Finally, having thought it clearly in my mind, I went and asked the band to play some swing music. Surely these people could remember the music of their day and maybe even loosen some joints to take to the dance floor. I returned to the table and when Tommy Dorsey filled the air I let Rex know I was ready. We did the jitter bug like we never did before. We focused on only each other and dazzled the room. The music took off and we danced all night, We did the rumba, the cha cha, we even did the twist which had drawn a number of brave women to join us. It had actually become fun. I found myself teaching the 70-somethings to do the electric slide. And I was having a wonderful time.

Noticing the sweets table was set up and smelling the coffee I so desperately needed, we headed for dessert. What happened next, my parents would have called a back door compliment. A sweet couple came to talk with us.They had to be a hundred years old. What they said was more memorable than anything I will remember. Through hand shakes and hugs,this contrite pair apologized to us. Then they said, " You are a lovely couple,full of warmth, refinement, and an ability to weather any situation. You have shamed us all and reminded us a valuable lesson to never judge a book by its cover." Then with a playful jab to Rex's arm the man said," That is a great book cover your wife has on, too".

Many would have been offended by this conversation but to us it will always be a beautiful moment. This event started out as a total trauma and has become a memory of a wonderful night. This misfit was really proud of herself and so was her man.
© Copyright 2005 MiaAkasha (mamu at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1016042-his-wife-was-a-misfitbut-not-to-him