*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1016217-my-college-essay
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Essay · Other · #1016217
what i think will get me into my college
“I can’t believe how well behaved your children have acted tonight, what’s your secret”, “You act like such a good little lady” are the words that have surrounded me all my life. Growing up in a very strong Italian family I have always been taught how to act properly in public and with my family. According to Italian stereotype “we” are very loud, talk with our hands, and love to eat out with family and friends. My family is exactly that. My family loves to go out to eat but they don’t want to be embarrassed by their children. Some people might see this as harsh thinking on a parents thought of their children, but all they were doing was teaching me the highly needed social skills, that I would require later on in my life. When I was young, I thought that public was with my extended family also. So I always acted like a young lady. The first memory of this behavior, that I noticed, was in school when all the other little children were screaming, yelling, and running around like chickens with their heads chopped off. I didn’t understand why they would be acting like that; most of the time I really wanted to say something to them but I didn’t. If by chance I would say something it would be softly said, “Your mommy isn’t going to like that you’re doing that”. To this day this train of thought is still with me. For example, when out to eat I am very polite and use my manors, when I am with my family and elders I am respectful and very minding of them, last, but not least in importance, at school I go above and beyond the expectations of my teachers by doing what I’m told without complaining.
Furthermore, when at school I work effetely and use my time wisely. I have worked on the school newspaper, so I’m use to having a lot of work to be done in a shot amount of time, and things changing on a moments notice. Therefore, short deadlines, and changing deadlines is something that I’m use to and can work well with. In addition, I took two writing classes where I was required to write large papers, again I did not find this as difficult to accomplish. In my every day life I find myself with the same aspects. I work to the best of my ability, and try to go beyond thing that are asked of me. Lastly, I find both in and outside of school I can multi-task very easily without becoming overwhelmed.
“Just let her keep talking” are statements from group members. I tend to take control of group discussions during classes. I tend to do this, not because I want all of the attention, but I find myself knowing all of the information on the topic. Also, I have strong views on things and I tend to stick to them; along with that I always have more than one piece of information to back up my theories. The on thing that I think I’m good at, when it comes to this is admitting when I’m wrong.
I am very proud of how I turned out, and every day I know I am learning more than I ever could. Additionally, I will never stop trying my hardest and will always act like a sophisticated adult. I bring pride to my school and my family in everything that I do. I keep setting goals, meeting them, and setting the bar even higher...
© Copyright 2005 -yours truly- (amiedelo at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1016217-my-college-essay