*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1016966-Burglarproof
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #1016966
This is a short comtemporary Fantasy story.
Holly picked up her purse, sweeping her room with a last look. She could hear her father, from the kitchen, telling her siblings to get in the car because it was time to leave. She was glad she didn't have to deal with her young brothers this morning. She loved them dearly, but they could be real bratty at times.
She stopped by the mirror, checking to see if her hair was in place. The reflection revealed a young, red haired girl with light green eyes. She wore her hair loose to be comfortable for the trip. She was dressed in slacks and a sweater. Holly patted a loose hair into place, smiling with pleasure at her appearance then resumed her check.
Holly looked around, making sure she hadn't forgotten anything. All the electrical things were unplugged, her bookcase was in order and the half completed manuscript of her latest story sat by her computer. Holly itched to get back to her writing, instead of going on this trip. She wrote fantasy and had had several stories published. Holly had read fantasy books for most of her life. She had a vivid imagination and wished magic could be real in this mundane world.
Deep in thought, she gazed at her pictures of dragons and unicorns covering every conceivable space on the walls and her collection of crystal and pewter fantasy characters that sat around the room, making a mental note that it was time to dust them. Her eyes came to the pride of her collection, a pewter wizard with his staff, stern look watching over everything. She called him Lazar. She wished that he could be real. Holly's revery was broken by a shout from her father to get a move on.
She sighed, smiled at Lazar and facetiously addressed him like she always did. "Farewell, Lazar. We're off on another family vacation. Protect our home while we're gone." She patted the wizard's head and left.

The burglar had found the house an easy target. He had broken in through an unlatched window and was now in the process of stealing every valuable he could. He had the stereo, V.C.R. and portable television in his truck. He was going through a jewelry box in the master bedroom now.
What idiots these suburbanites are, he thought. They left all this jewelry around. Do they think they're burglarproof? Usually such people were careful, placing valuables in safety deposit boxes and all manner of devices and locks on the house. The inhabitants of this place were too trusting for this age of rampant crime. It always gave him pleasure to rip off such victims. Why work for a living when you could have an easier existence by stealing?
He left off his musings when a bright light flashed on behind him. He could have sworn that the house was deserted. He turned around swiftly, taking out his gun to confront an old man standing in the doorway. The burglar laughed.
The old man must be crazy. He was ancient, with white hair, a long white beard and wrinkled face. He wore a dark blue robe with gold designs, a pointed hat and carried a long staff.
The burglar stopped laughing and said, "Who do you think you are, Old Man?"
The elderly man said, "I am Lazar the Wizard, protector of Holly's castle. Leave now, thief, or face the consequences!"
The burglar sneered, waved his gun. "I don't think your in any position to give orders. Put the stick down and maybe I won't hurt you."
Lazar's green eyes glittered dangerously. "Very well, pay the price."
The burglar couldn't believe how fast the old man could move. The last thing he remembered was seeing the old man swinging his stick. There was a brilliant flash of rainbow colored light, his guts wrenched, then all went dark.

Holly was at the front door with the keys, opening the house after a fun trip. She was eager to get in and unpack. The lock clicked and she opened the door. As she pushed it open a dingy, scroungy yellow cat with green eyes streaked out, running for parts unknown.
Holly frowned, perplexed. This was the fifth time this year her family had returned from a trip to find a cat coming from inside the house. They had no idea how the creatures were getting in.
She entered to check if the animal had done any damage. A quick scrutiny of the house had proved nothing amiss. Everything was normal. She checked her room last to find her collection intact. She released a sigh of relief, patted Lazar and left to go help her parents with the luggage. Behind her, the pewter statue's eyes glowed a soft green.

THE END
© Copyright 2005 Freedomstar (freedomstar at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1016966-Burglarproof