*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1019038-A-Night-Drifting-Away
by maggie
Rated: E · Prose · Other · #1019038
Sometimes holding on is impossible when you are drifting away from yourself.
The night grew darker and darker as the whole world slipped into a deadly silence. I felt like a deserted one who was left alone in a corner of the world. Looking outside the balcony, I saw some lifeless buildings soaked in the heavy rain. Because of the rain, the bricks of those buidlings looked darker than they really are. The road lamps along the pavement were sending out dim light, trying their best to fight against the darkness. The rain had put a light ring around each bulb. It was weird that I could not hear the rain falling down. I tried to open the heavy window which shut me in from the outside world. My effort seemed to be in vain. The windown didn't move at all. I tried again and failed. The raindrops mixed together and trickled slowly down the pane, like tears on people's faces.
I traced it down with my index finger till the white frame where it disappeared. Then I followed another one. Suddenly, it occurred to me that people's lives are just like these raindrops: they have different tracks but always the same ending. Mine was just like one of them. No matter what way it would take, it would end just like others did. Then why bother? Why did we keep trying to get out of here?
© Copyright 2005 maggie (maggie1912 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1019038-A-Night-Drifting-Away