*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1021326-Unconditional-Love
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Emotional · #1021326
A woman grants her twin's dying wish.
Riley placed her slender hands on her swollen stomach, feeling the babies kick. Twins. Gwen would have been so happy to know that. Riley leaned back against the wall, biting back the tears that started pooling in her eyes.
Gwen and her husband, Robert, had been trying to have children for about three years before they decided to take fertility drugs. Riley remembered the look of pure joy on Gwen's face when her test showed that she was finally pregnant. Riley had wondered if they would still be identical mirror images once Gwen started showing. Unfortunately, she never got to find out.
Robert had seen nothing but the blinding headlights of the drunk driver's car as it swerved into their lane. Robert died on impact. Gwen was rushed to the emergency room.
Riley had felt that something was wrong. She had been trying Gwen's cell phone but never got an answer. She got worried and started pacing. She jumped when the phone's ring broke the silence.
"Riley Morgan?" the young woman asked.
"Yes." Riley's heart started pounding faster.
"Your sister, Gwenneth Calhill, was in a serious car accident today. She is in critical condition at Lakewood Hospital."
"I'll be right there." Riley slammed the phone down, grabbed her keys and left, not bothering to grab her coat or lock her door.
When she arrived at Gwen's room, the doctor motioned for Riley to wait outside the door for him.
"I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but your sister isn't going to make it."
Riley couldn't believe it. Her other half, her wonderful sister, her better side... Riley put her hands over her face, sobbing quietly, trying not to let Gwen hear her.
"You should go in and say your good-byes. I've already talked to her and she has something to talk to you about."
Riley wiped her eyes and straightened her hair. She took A deep breath and slowly walked into the room. She eased herself into the chair next to the bed. It took everything she had to hold back the tears that threatened to fall. Her sister was so pale, so little in that bed. Gwen slowly opened her eyes.
"Hey, how are you feeling?" Riley tried to plaster a smile on her face.
"Don't be fake with me, Rye. I know it's my time to go. Robert's waiting for me." Gwen gave her a weak smile. "My baby is okay. The doctor said that it'll live if we can find someone to go through the rest of the pregnancy and the birth. They have procedures for this kind of thing. The only problem is that it has to be soon and I need to know that I can trust her enough."
Through all of this, Riley listened closely. She knew Gwen better than she knew herself. Gwen was scared, that was clear, but not for herself. Gwen was scared for her unborn child.
"I'll do it," Riley volunteered without thinking twice.
"I knew I could count on you. Think of it as my last gift, a piece of me with you forever. I'll rest peacefully knowing that my baby is with you. I'll always love you and I will always be with you."
With that, Riley said her final goodbye. She held Gwen's hand as she took her last breath.

Riley reached for the tissue, trying to find the box through her blurred vision. She wiped her eyes and looked around the room. She had redecorated the spare room into a nursery. She was kind of scared at the prospect of being a single mother.
Her mother was here from Florida for the delivery. Riley didn't think she could do this on her own. She needed someone there. She was nervous and worried, with a million questions racing through her mind. What if she wasn't a good mom? What if something happens during the delivery? What if Gwen had made a mistake? These thoughts were still on Riley's mind as she got ready for bed that night. She went to the couch where her mom was watching TV when she felt A weird sort of pain in her lower back. She realized she was in labor when her water broke.
"Mom!" Riley stood in her nightgown, unable to move, staring wide-eyed at her mom.
"Oh, Riley! I know it's soon but the doctor said that twins usually do come earlier than the due date." Mrs. Morgan looked around the room, grabbing the keys and the overnight bag that Riley had pack a couple of weeks ago, and ushered Riley out to the car.

Riley looked down at the sleeping infants and smiled softly. She double-checked the baby monitor and turned the nightlight on.
"Goodnight, Gwen. goodnight, Robert. Sweet dreams."
© Copyright 2005 Erin Michelle (erinmichelle at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1021326-Unconditional-Love