*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1022243-Till-The-End
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Relationship · #1022243
Friends forever...
May 1993

“We’ll be friends forever” Elizabeth stated with the innocence of childhood.
She and her “friends forever” Mike and Sam walked their way home from school. It was the last day of school and the beginning of summer break. At 12 years old Elizabeth knew everything and she was sure that the trio would remain so until the end of time. They had great plans for the summer, lemonade stands in the driveway, long walks to the corner store for popsicles and of course plenty of time at the neighborhood pool.
Mike and Elizabeth lived across the street from one another and Sam live two houses down. They’d been friends since they were in diapers. When they got home they immediately went to their secret hideout; a small opening in the woods right behind Elizabeth’s house. Thus, their summer began.
Elizabeth got to spend a month in Massachusetts with her Grandparents early in the summer. She was excited at first but after 3 long days she knew she was in for a long boring week. She quickly missed her friends when she learned that there were no other children around.
The 4th of July celebration at the pool was always Sam’s favorite day. The huge barbeque and pool party were the best part, next to the fireworks. Sam loved to watch the colors and patterns erupt against the black night sky. The games had been played, the prizes had been won (a large number of them had gone to the team of Mike and Sam) and Sam’s father was taking the trio to the baseball game so they could see the firework display.
They were inseparable the rest of the summer. They often had campouts in their secret place in the woods, roasting marshmallows on the little fire Elizabeth’s father had built before he left them for the night.
Mike and Elizabeth were on their way to Sam’s when they heard the sirens. He had fallen off the roof of his 3 story house and broken his left arm and collarbone.
“We’ll be friends forever…”

Spring 1995

“Let’s try it” Elizabeth said to Mike. “I’m ready this time, I promise.”
“No more laughing” Mike said as he leaned closer. “If we are going to practice this we’ve got to be able to get past the nerves.”
And with that he leaned closer and, closing his eyes, placed his lips on Elizabeth’s. At 15 neither of them had kissed anyone yet and they had decided they needed to learn how. So they hid themselves in Mikes basement. Elizabeth pulled away and looked Mike in the eyes. She kissed him again, this time letting him slip past the barrier of his lips and allowing his tongue to explore her mouth.
“I never thought it would be like that” Mike said when they finally broke apart. “I’m not sure I want to stop yet.”
“Me either.” Elizabeth said as she pushed Mike back against the couch and kissed him once again.

Winter 1998

“Dude, I’m gonna go for it, I’ve got to ask her out.” Mike was so pumped, so ready to finally have the girl of his dreams.
“Just tell me who she is!” Sam said quietly
“Alright, alright, it’s Elizabeth.” Mike responded after a short pause.
Sam didn’t know what to say. He and Elizabeth had being seeing each other for 3 months now; they hadn’t been able to find a way to tell Mike yet. As Elizabeth walked up Sam knew he had to tell Mike.
“Mike, man, you can’t ask her out.” Sam said
“Who?” Elizabeth interrupted, hoping Mike had finally found a girl
“You, Will you go out with me?” Mike said
She didn’t respond, she couldn’t and when she looked to Sam, Mike understood.
“How long?” He asked angrily “Just tell me how long.”
“About 3 months” Said Elizabeth sympathetically “Mike, we meant to tell you…” but Mike cut her off, “I don’t want to know.” And he stormed off, ending the friendship that was supposed to last forever.

May 1999

“Congratulations Class of 2009.”
As the caps flew into the air Mike sat alone and watched the rest of his class celebrate. He didn’t have any reasons to celebrate. He had no friends, no parties to go to tonight. All he had was a bottle of Jack waiting for him at home. He’d be leaving for college soon enough. There he could drown himself in work and drugs, alcohol. He’d finally be able to succumb to his depression and. He’d finally be able to stop pretending for his mother

Fall 2001

He couldn’t believe that 2 years of college had already gone by. Sam was having a wonderful time, everything was perfect. They were in a perfect place, school was going great and they just kept moving forward. He couldn’t believe they were still together, wasn’t sure what he had done to deserve Elizabeth.

May 2005

He was late, he was always late. How could he be late?
It was Elizabeth. Though he couldn’t remember the last time he had actually seen her, the call he had received had left him disturbed enough to drive the 2 hours it would take for him to get to her.
She had said she had something important to tell him. Though she wouldn’t say what it was he knew it had to be serious. When he walked into the little forest opening, he saw her lying in the middle, arms up, face to the sky. He was sure she was daydreaming, just like she used to when they were kids. When he took his spot next to her she grabbed his hand and they watched the clouds move above them.
He was shocked when footsteps interrupted nature’s silence some 15 minutes later. He should have known Elizabeth would call Sam also but he wasn’t prepared to see the friend he had lost so long ago.


Spring 2005
Now he was back, they all were. Together in their secret place; because they both had a weakness for a fragile blonde with a bright smile. Mike found that he had nothing to say as Sam lay on the other side of Elizabeth and she nestled her head onto his shoulder.
“Mike,” Elizabeth finally broke the silence “Sam and I, well, we’re getting married.”
Mike wasn’t ready for this; no way could he have been ready. He didn’t even know the two were still together, he didn’t even know Sam was still alive. They were getting married.
Sam looked over at Mike, smiled, and wished that they were still friends, that they still had anything in common. Mike looked like shit. Raggedy and unkempt; he was long past needing a haircut and Sam was sure Mike had worn that shirt 10 years ago.
Elizabeth suggested that they go get coffee and they left their once sacred spot. They were too cute, Mike thought, too happy. Why did they need him in their lives?
The truth of the matter was that they’d been talking the night before and realized that they missed Mike, but they couldn’t tell him that. Mike would tell them that it was their fault he was no longer their friend and that he couldn’t be their friend. They should have all just been friends, nothing more. Now with marriage in the picture Mike was feeling even more lonely and depressed.
The coffee was miserable. Mike couldn’t deal with the lovey-dovey. He’d been alone, completely alone ever since Sam and Elizabeth had started dating and this was the final straw. He didn’t have anyone and he didn’t want to; not anymore.
Sam and Elizabeth left, promising Mike that they’d see him shortly, making him promise he’d be in the wedding party. It was an empty promise.
Mike went back to their secret place, the place he was always happiest. He had chosen to end his life there years ago but could never go through with it. This time there was no other option. The poison was in his pocket, the Jack at his side. He poured himself a shot and added the little vial. He looked to the darks sky and drank to the people he once loved.
It would be a couple weeks before they found his body. No one knew he was missing, but there were people who cared. If only he had known that before he let go. If only someone had told him they cared.

© Copyright 2005 Funky_SpunkyKB (funky_spunkykb at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1022243-Till-The-End