*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1022396-The-Way-of-Heaven-Part-III
Rated: 18+ · Chapter · Fantasy · #1022396
Things become desperate for the travelers. Wuxia fiction.
Armitage Vacys

Two days later, they stood at the bottom of the one thousand steps of Aldebaran. The snow had started late in the morning. Thick flakes had covered them, young Nivaalis’s hair dripping water into his face and clothes as the snow melted. Armitage had his hood pulled far past his face, so the wind wouldn’t blow snow inside his cloak.

“These fucking steps.” Armitage mumbled as he looked up, unable to see more than fifteen steps. The snow, horizontal as it blew from the north, obscured the path. But he knew they were there, many steps. He had been up and down them often in the past.

“What?” Nivaalis asked, shouting over the wind. Armitage shook his head, patting the young man on the shoulder. He pointed upward, and made a gesture to follow with a black gloved hand. He started up the steps, Nivaalis at his side.
They stopped while in the grey. The snow and wind did not reach them in the grey, and they began drying out as they traveled. Nivaalis started undoing his pack to find something to eat.

“Don’t bother.” Armitage said. “Master Lei has worked the elements here so you do not need to eat or sleep in the grey. The elemental force will nourish you.”

“But I feel hungry.” Nivaalis said.

“Do you? Or do you feel that time has passed, and this tells you it is time to eat? Listen to your stomach.”

Nivaalis paused in his searching and tilted his head to the side as he concentrated. “You’re right,” he said, his hands dropping from his backpack. “Why are we stopped then?”

“I am tired of watching stairs pass by.” He said. “And we are almost out of the grey. The snow will return, and the wind.” He pulled his black gloves out of a pocket on his cloak and put them on. Nivaalis shouldered his pack and put his hands in his coat pockets to keep them warm.
They came out of the grey and into the white. The snow was past their ankles, making the steps treacherous. White flakes floated lazily to the mountainside, quickly covering the two travelers. Nivaalis became wet again as he cursed, with no hood on his coat. Armitage kept his cloak tightly closed, untouched by the snow, but their pace was slowed from the deepening white on the path upward.

“Something is wrong.” Armitage said, a while later.

“What is?” Nivaalis said, spitting melted snow from his mouth. He quickly looked from side to side, but saw only snow, and more snow. Their tracks were rapidly being filled behind them.

“There is no wind. We are high in the mountains, and there is no wind.” He said.

“Perhaps your master did it.” Nivaalis said.

“Perhaps.” Armitage replied.

“You can as him when we get there.” Nivaalis paused, and asked, “Uh, when will that be, Master Armitage?”

“We’re almost there. You don’t have to call me master. I’m just a man.”

“No, you are a warrior-priest of Aldebaran. I saw you fight. There is no one faster than you. And you showed me how to use this sword. You are my teacher. So I call you Master.”

Armitage stayed within the depths of his hood as he spoke. “I have shown you a few basic moves of the Way of the Blade. The real master, Master Lei, will show you, will teach you the Way. The most important advice I can give you is never leave your blade anywhere except on your hip.” He pointed a finger at Nivaalis to emphasize his words. “Especially that blade. It is a fine blade. You are lucky to have such a thing.”

“That’s just it,” Nivaalis said, his voice light and animated. “Masters never say they are masters. They are humble and give good advice. You are a master.”

Armitage groaned, shaking his head, and wiped the snow from his head and shoulders, saying no more. They were at the summit of the stairs.

Master Jin Lei was waiting for them on the long plateau to the other side. “Young man,” he said addressing Nivaalis, “Do you know this man killed your father?”

Armitage’s eyes blazed as anger filled him, destroying his reason. He dropped his hands with a whip motion, shedding his gloves and parting his white cloak. His arms came up with his crossbows pointed at his former master. “You will not do it like this.” He said, the dead calm of the killer in his words.

“But I already have,” Jin replied, his voice and face hard like the cold mountain he stood on. “The Way is not a joke. You don’t pick it up and put it down at your whim.” His focus shifted to the crossbows. “Do you really think those things will do anything to me? Have you been out in the world of the weak that long?”

“No, I suppose not.” Armitage said, dropping them and leaping out of his cloak, pulling his curved longswords as he closed with Jin Lei. The anger had him in its grip.

At the last instant, Jin dropped below the blades. Coming up, his right palm pushed Armitage’s arm further, a little off balance. His left arm channelled his body energy into a punch to his opponent’s ribs.

Armitage felt his arm go off, too far, and followed the momentum, instead of fighting it. Spinning in a circle, he came around thrusting with his right, to run Jin through. He held his left at face level for any counterattack that might come.

Jin shifted right, avoiding the thrust, and aimed a kick to Armitage’s exposed left knee. Armitage lifted his leg and dropped his left blade, slicing. Too late, he realised it was a ruse. He didn’t hear the snap of the Master’s pant leg from the power that should have been there. At the same time, pain flashed across his face as Jin’s stone like fist connect with his cheekbone. Armitage propelled himself backward, sliding on the snow. tears clouded his left eye from the hit on the nerve centre in his cheek. He crossed his blades in front of him, blinking away tears.

“You’ve gotten better.” Jin Lei said, relaxing, empty hands held in front if him defensively. “But not a master yet.”

“I know.” Nivaalis said into the silence as the two combatants stood poised to attack once more. Armitage’s swords fell from his hands. Jin Lei stood straight, smiling.

“How?” Armitage asked, his anger snuffed out by the words, his head hanging limp. Snow gathered on his black clothing, turning it white.

“When we met, I said I didn’t know how to use this blade.” Nivaalis drew it, the ringing loud in the windless air. Blue braided leather decorated the handle; the steel of the blade was black. “I didn’t say I was stupid. Talcott Wallace talked about his brother, and what his brother did. He mentioned your name before you came.” He stepped closer to the two men.
“I know my father wasn’t a good man, not good at all. I put it together. The White Women taught me how to read, how to learn. But they wouldn’t teach me this,” he held up the blade, “because I was male. They said there were enough men running around destroying things. They thought it should be women’s work.”

“What do you want?” Armitage asked, his head coming up.

“Take his head.” Jin Lei said. “I’ll not stop you.”

What?” Armitage said, grey eyes wide.

“You kill for money. Xia is the Way I taught you. That is not Xia.” Jin replied.

“No. I’ve chosen not to do that anymore.” Armitage said.

“Words. You speak only words. All I hear are words.”

“I can’t kill you.” Nivaalis said, sheathing his sword. “Someone would have killed my father sooner or later. It happened to be you. I didn’t know him, he didn’t care. I didn’t have a father, in truth.” He shrugged unsure of what else to say. “Just teach me more?”

“See?” Jin said, laughing, ruffling Nivaalis’s already messy hair. “This young man already knows Xia, and no one has taught him.” Silence followed his words as the three men felt the tension leave them.

“He will teach you,” Jin said to the boy, “and I will refresh him.” He turned and began walking away. “Gather your things, students. I am sure there will be a fire below.”

Armitage brushed the heavy snow from his shoulders as donned his cloak and pack. He put his weapons back on his hips and picked up his gloves. He handed them to Nivaalis. “You might want these, and you should think about getting a hood for that coat.”

“Thank you, Master.” He said, putting them on. As they followed Jin to the east stairway, Nivaalis thought, Why didn’t you tell me about my mother?

Areani Snow

As they walked down the east side of the mountain, Snow saw buildings take shape far faster than their pace should have allowed. “What is this?” She asked.

“The Master has worked the elements here. Would you like to see how?” Phelan replied.

“No.” She said.

“As you wish, Mistress Snow.”

“Don’t call me mistress. I am not your master, and you are not my slave.” She said.

“But you are my elder, and it is to respect you.”

“I am only a few years older than you. And respect is earned, not freely given to anyone.”
“Yes,” he said, rubbing a hand softly across his bruised midsection. “And you have earned mine already.”

She laughed as they continued. Clarity came to her when she saw only five more steps. By her count, there were about forty steps altogether, though there appeared to be well over a hundred when seen from the top.

As they reached the bottom, Snow saw thick green leaves covering a tall wall which extended left and right around the island. Tall cedar posts held up the faded wooden doors of the main gate, which was topped by a band of wet snow. Water dripping down the gate darkened it in irregular lines.

“Come, come.” Phelan said, pushing open the gate easily. They swung open without sound, the snow on the ground stopping them half open. Stepping through, they came to a long pathway lined with green pines. The snow had not yet fallen through the trees, but water drops fell on them as they walked. The dripping sound mixed with the sound of the river, quieting Snow’s mind. The path widened as they came to a small hut, and they turned right, onto a stone pathway. Red leaves of pruned maple trees joined the lightly falling flakes that penetrated through the bare branches. She felt as though in a dreamland seeing Jin Lei’s home, keenly constructed to bring out serenity in visitors. As they crossed a small bridge, she could smell the wet earth below their feet.

“Do you like the Master’s home?” Phelan asked softly.

“I do.” She replied. To her left a branch snapped, echoing across the water of a small lake which held three islands. “There are others here?” She asked, drawn out of her reverie by the sound.

“No.” The red haired youth said. “But there are some wild animals that call Aldebaran home.”
She nodded, looking across the water. She could see no animals, only green trees and shrubs being clothed in white. The pathway became a series of irregular shaped stones that gradually turned left towards Jin Lei’s house. Low angled, tiled roofs topped cedar beamed plaster walls. They walked up smooth, time worn steps into an entryway which held a large variety of slippers.
Phelan motioned to a pair, and removed his tall, brown leather boots, and put a pair on. He hanged his grey longcoat and belt on wooden pegs secured to the outside wall. He waited for Snow, one hand on a large, white sliding door. Snow removed her white cloak and brown boots, and bending, put on a pair of slippers. She moved toward the door.

“You may not be armed in the Master’s house.” Phelan said, looking at her slim hip.

“I have no elemental power. How am I to defend myself?”

“We can’t touch the elements in the house. The earth stops it.” He said.

“I am to believe that?”

“Please, Mistress Snow. Remove your blades. Master Jin accepts you in his home. He won’t harm you. He wants to show you the Way.” His voice pleaded.

“Very well.” She said, removing her sword and a small sheath of throwing knives that rested in the small of her back.

“Thank you.” Phelan breathed with relief. He opened the door, which became stuck halfway; he had to push it a few times to open it. The wood squeaked as it gave way. “It’s damp, and the wood is swelling. The Master and I don’t know carpentry.”

They were walking across a large open room with many sliding doors along the wall when Snow asked, “How did you know I carried blades at my back?”

Phelan’s pale face turned crimson and he looked away as he answered. “Well, I am a young man. And you’re very pretty.” His shoulders pushed upward as he spoke. Snow smiled at his back. His voice brightened as he pointed out an open door. “That’s where we train in the Way of the Fist, and the Way of the Blade.”

She looked out at an empty, flat clearing covered with snow except for a line of tracks which cut across the middle and out of view.

“You know about the Way of the Fist and Blade?” he asked, his voice carrying easily across the hall. He stood at another pair of closed doors.

“No. That is fighting with your hands and fighting with a sword? I know that.” She said, turning away and walking toward Phelan. “That is fighting.”

“Yes. And no. Master Jin says we learn moves not only to defend ourselves, but more importantly to fulfill what is lacking in ourselves. I don’t get it, so the master tells me to sit out here.” He opened the door to a small platform. “He says the answer will come, and I will see that I knew it all along.” The small lake came up to the house at the platform. The still water enveloped the small islands which could all be seen.

“Is there anything you do not like about your Master?” Snow asked, getting tired of hearing about the greatness of Jin Lei. Her eyes followed a line of stone bridges which connected the land and all three islands. Her gaze rested on the largest central island, where there was a soft blue glow reflecting on the snow and in the light of the approaching night.

“Ah,” the young man paused, tense from the question, “Yes. When strangers try to come, and they are not wanted he kills them.” Snow flicked her eyes toward Phelan’s face before setting her gaze back on the blue glow. She saw a flash of red, and a flutter of yellow around a curving pine on the middle island.

“This is home.” She said, not really listening. “Are there only pine trees on the large island?” Intuition was turning her stomach. She could not pinpoint what was making her uncomfortable.

“Yes,” he said, looking at her with his head tilted. “That is the Master’s sanctuary, where he meditates. It is in the exact centre of the island.”

“Is it meant to glow?” She asked, her feeling moving into her mind, the falling flakes of snow becoming too clear as her body felt danger and her senses heightened.

“No. What do you mean, glow?” He asked, bewildered.

Snow grabbed his arm. “Nothing. We must go inside. Now.” She pulled him inside as she spoke. She didn’t notice Phelan struggling against her grasp as the truth lashed her mind like a whip. The trail across the training ground. The red and yellow in the trees of the Master’s sanctuary. The blue glow. The Praetorium was in Aldebaran. Evocati, elite warriors of the empire were there. They would kill her.

“How good of you to come in out of the cold, Areani Snow,” a man’s voice said as they stepped inside. He sat cross legged in the centre of the darkening hall. She saw the blue and yellow dyed leather armour. To his left, a tall woman in black and red leather stood, shadowed by the light of another open door. “It is unfortunate, though, to find you like this. Conspiring with those not of the Empire.” His deep voice was loud in the silence that had fallen. “I am Evocati Roark,” he said, standing. Leather creaked and the weapons at his belt rattled. Snow wondered how they moved silently. “This is Evocati Leta.” His left hand came forward, dropping two swords. Once straight and thin, they were bent beyond use. “You do not need these any longer.”

The two Evocati walked towards them. They moved into the dying light, and there faces became clear. Leta walked with the fluid grace of a snake, so thin she appeared emaciated. Her face was sunken, with dark skin of the western part of the Empire. Her armour hung loose, tied with leather strips so it would not move. Burning eyes gave off the feeling of madness.

Evocati Roark was clearly of the Homeland. His steps were sure and steady, measured like a soldier. His armour was immaculate, and fit his strong frame as though made for it. Likely it was. Close cut light brown hair became sun darkened skin. His prominent nose did not over power his hard face, and Snow thought him handsome but for his blue eyes. They were cold, the eyes of a man who values order above all else. Snow knew he would do anything for what he thought was right.

“Your name was spoken in many places for a while, Areani Snow,” Roark said, standing a pace form her, the other Evocati to his left. “You were an Areani that refused the offer to be Evocati. Few are allowed to refuse without a major inquiry into their reasons. Apparently, you are an exceptional warrior, and an exceptional scout.”

“I did not care for any of the Generals.” She replied, her voice calm.

“No? General Britannia never gave you trouble. She is wise, beautiful. Loyal to the Praetorium.” His loyalties were obvious. He wore the blue and yellow colours of General Britannia.
Snow did not think deception with words would be any use. “I am tired of seeing peoples destroyed. The empire is boring. Such sameness all the time.”

“Nonsense. It is order. We take the best of new lands, and add it to our own greatness. It is always evolving, with the security of the Praetorium to eliminate chaos.”

“Nothing evolves, except for better war machines. More ways to move rocks faster to build bigger buildings. What of elementals? Do you not think they may have good ideas for the Empire?”
He shook his head and sighed. “You know. They cannot be allowed to run loose, lest they attempt to be gods again. There are no gods. In the generator, they can give light and heat to the people. Or they can be eliminated. Their godliness is served in giving better life to us all.”

“Elementals have been in this land for centuries. I see no effect of their delusions of godliness.” Snow hoped Jin Lei would return soon. She did not fear fighting one Evocati. But she was unsure about two. The woman said nothing, making it hard for Snow to judge her strength. It had been five years since Snow played in the fighting contests of the army.

“Being out here in the east, I can see why. It is all forest and mountains. Quite peaceful, it seems. But, you are the only Areani we have seen alive here. The Generals believe someone is killing the other Areani sent here. We found bodies, Areani Rain, and Sky. We burned them, as is the custom. It does not matter. We are here. Elementals controlled two cities in this land, with many people living under their oppression. The Praetorium has freed the cities. This does not sound like peaceful elementals does it? They are savage, crazed from the power.”

“Have you ever spoke to one? Of course not. When attacked, people fight for their home.” She placed her hand on Phelan’s shoulder. “Did you know you stand before one now? And he is not fighting.” Snow felt warm blood on her hand. A dagger appeared in Phelan’s throat as her words died on her lips. Death now, a voice inside her said as she became aware of Evocati Leta’s outstretched arm. Snow looked at Phelan as he fell backward from the force of the killing blow. Warm blue eyes looked at her; surprised, afraid. A red pool spread on the floor staining the wood.

“Fool!” Roark yelled as he turned toward his partner. “We will be reprimanded for this! We will be in the Homeland within minutes.”

“I care not, for your talking bullshit. General Beryl commands me. Not you, no others.” Leta’s voice rasped in her throat as though it caused her pain. “I removed a threat.”

Snow turned, running out onto the small platform at the edge of the water. She knew the glow was the Homeland weapon. All living things would soon be transported to the homeland, two months of overland travel away. As she jumped for the water, to get away and warn Jin before they were taken, she felt a hard impact on the back of her head. Her body no longer responded to her mind. She fell into the water, yelling in her ears, warm blue eyes filling her vision as the colour faded from them. Then there was only black.

© Copyright 2005 shaolin11 (shaolin11 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1022396-The-Way-of-Heaven-Part-III