*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1025104-Loving-Maria
Rated: E · Short Story · Drama · #1025104
Her mom died giving birth to her, her father doesn't talk to her.so what does she do..
Loving Maria

The person you hate right now is the one you’re probably going to fall in love with.....

Maria was as normal as any other girl, she cleaned, played games, and helped out with the house. The only thing that made her different was her looks. She wasn’t exactly the cutest girl or so she thought. She didn’t care for all the things that other girls wore like cute little garments, and other little things like that. In fact most of the time Maria would just sit in her room and paint. That was something she was good at. She wasn’t good at many other things but art was defiantly one thing she was good at.
Maria looked outside and smiled. She loved painting the outside. The color and texture of it was beautiful. She loved just sitting out there and taking in the breeze, she didn’t do it today because her father wouldn’t let her. She never got to do anything she wanted to do because her father was so strict but somehow she still loved him, there was no doubt in her mind about that.
She got up after an hour of painting because she thought she heard her dad leave but wasn’t sure. At the edge of the stairs, since her room was up stairs, she looked down. This was how she could see if her dad was home because his shoes were down at the bottom of the stairs. She walked down the stairs and saw that they were gone. Creping down the hall she looked around.
Maybe he really is gone.
She walked over to the window and looked out. His car was gone which meant that he was gone. Her father was almost never gone so when he did leave she didn’t let the opportunity slip by. She looked around one more time and decided he wasn’t home so she went out on the porch to sit outside. She walked over to the rocking chair and sat down. Whenever she got the chance to go outside she always sat on this rocking chair. It was her mother’s before she died. She had never known her mother. She just knew that her father had loved her very, very much. She also knew that she had purple eyes. She had never seen anyone with purple eyes but she knew that her mother had, had them. After a while she got up and started walking around town. Her town was old fashioned town where everyone was nice and they all knew each other. Not many people knew her though because she wasn’t aloud out the house most of the time, yet everyone still smiled at her.
She walked into her favorite convenient store and looked around. There to the left she spotted a sign that said chapstick. I could use some chapstick. She looked towards where the sign pointed and saw that there was no more. They ran out. She looked around and saw lip gloss. She never wore it before but she needed something. She picked it up and examined it for a minute. She walked over to the register and showed them the lip gloss. “Ill pay for it later”. She smiled at the old lady, they knew her mother and helped her take care of Maria once in awhile , now they took care of her in their own way. The old lady smiled and nodded. As Maria was walked out a boy walked in. He held the door and smiled at Maria. Then he winked,. Maria felt her face go red and then got really angry, one because she kept starring at him and two because she hated being hit on. Maria walked inside her house and started going upstairs until she heard the doorknob turn. She slowly put the lip gloss behind her back and watched as the door opened completely. A big man with short hair, young but yet old, in his 40s, with black hair, looked at her from the bottom of the stairs. “Welcome home, dad” He looked at her but didn’t say anything. Instead he just took off his shoes and walked away.
She ran up the stairs and tried on the lip gloss. After she put it on she looked in the mirror. It looked… weird but, pretty. She smiled. It wasn’t often she got things like lip gloss.
That night she cooked dinner and her and her dad ate in silence. She noticed that he had a certain look on his face, almost like he was hurt or like he wanted to say something but at the same time didn’t. If someone else was sitting with them they wouldn’t be able to tell but since she had lived with him all her life she knew every expression.
After they were done she gathered their plates and walked to the kitchen to do them while he went into the living room and watched TV. It was the same ritual every night. When her mother was around it was different. Tonight was New Years night so she took a cup of soda up to her room and wachted TV till it was time. It was about 11:58 now. She hurried and put on a channel where she could watch the ball drop. At 11:59 she heard footsteps coming up her stairs. She looked over at her doorway and there stood her dad. He walked over and sat on her bed. He had a cup of champagne himself. 20, 19, 18. The time was ticking down, she watched the ball slowly drop. 3, 2, 1. “Happy New Year’s sweetie” Her father smiled at her and she starred at him for a minute then and smiled and they both drank their drinks. After they were done he kissed the top of her forehead and went downstairs.
She sat in shock, he never did anything like this, usually she celebrated New Years alone. What… was that about.
She lie in her bed and thought for awhile. Today was a weird day. Maybe it was a dream, but probably not because she felt tired and normally she didn’t feel tired in her dreams . Well whatever it was she was too tired to think about it, so she ignored it and went to sleep.
The next day she opened her eyes to the sun light hitting her face. She rubbed her eyes a bit and then looked at the alarm clock and almost fell out of the bed.
School. I forgot about school. Then she hurried and got up. Oh, oh no, oh no. IM LATE! She hurried up and got dressed. After looking in the mirror and quickly bradded her black wavy hair into two braids. She ran down the stairs to grab her backpack and then noticed her dad standing at the door way. He looked at her and then walked up to her, gave her a kiss on the head and said bye and that he loved her. She looked at him then at her watch “Im late.” She gave one last look at her father. “I love you too” then ran out the door. She made it to school just as the bell rang.
She got in her class and seated herself. This was a new year. How can she forget to set her alarm clock. She sighed at how careless she was. After awhile of sitting in her desk she heard a bunch of girls walk in and take their seats as well. Then she looked up to see a boy come in... the boy from yesterday! She looked at him for a minute and then sat down at her desk.

JJ walked in and saw the girl that he winked to the other day and smiled. What were the chances of being in the same class as her. He walked over and positioned himself next to her. She saw him and he smiled, then, she looked down again. What the heck. He frowned and then tried talking to her. “Hi” He managed. Success! She looked up at him and gave him a dirty look. OK failure. “What was that for” He asked a bit of annoyance in his voice. “Go talk to another girl. Don’t try hitting on me. Im not like that ok.” She was annoyed herself. He starred at her a minute than got up and walked over to his friends.

She watched him leave and a smile formed on her lips. Good. I dint like him anyway.. She saw him laughing with his friends. She didn’t know if he was laughing at her or something else and frankly she didn’t care.
Maria went to everyone of her classes and met her new teachers. She was satisfied with all her classes but wasn’t satisfied with the boy because he was in every single one of her classes. She sighed as she walked home. Bad luck, if she had to describe her life it would be bad luck.
The walk was about twenty minutes or so which she didn’t mind since she liked going outside and walking around. She took in the fresh air and smiled. It wasn’t often when she got to walk around . She finally reached her house and was disappointed. Now she had to stay inside all day and cook and clean and .... her thoughts stopped and she noticed the door was locked, which was really weird. She looked over at the so called driveway, it was really just an empty dirt space. There was his car. So where is he. She walked over to the rocking chair and lifted the mat under it. There sat the gold key. She picked it up and unlocked the door. After she was done with the key she put the key back and opened the door. Maybe I should’ve knocked. She took off her shoes and walked around a little bit, trying to find her dad. She looked around once but didn’t see him, she thought about looking twice but decided against it, if he needed her he would know where to find her. She walked upstairs to her bedroom and shut the door.
Later after she was settled in, she went downstairs to get something to drink, but as she passed the shoes she noticed her dad’s weren’t there. What’s going on?
Maria walked up to her room and lie on her bed and thought for awhile. It was now 9:00 at night and her dad still wasn’t home. She worried a minute and wanted to go look for him but then thought not because if he had come home when she was out looking then he would probably yell at her and she would probably be punished. If he isn’t back by morning then I’ll look for him.
The phone rang late at night. She was going to get up and get it but she figured her dad would. The phone rang five times before she figured her dad wasn’t going to pick it up. She pulled the covers off and ran for the phone. Just as she picked it up and said hello the other person hung up. Stupid people.
She hung it up and went upstairs and climbed right into back into bed.
Her mother smiled at her. Her purple gaze starring at her, almost through her. Maria starred back for a little while then started walking towards her. Her mother smiled than pointed her finger straight ahead, behind Maria. She looked back and saw her father lying on the floor. She rushed over and picked up his head. She tried screaming, tried to call his name, but nothing came out.
Behind her she could feel her mother’s purple eyes starring at her. Maria slowly turned her head and saw tears in her eyes. Why, why was her mother crying. She looked back down at the dead body of her father’s. Crying softly to herself as she lay his head down and started walking towards her mother.
Her mother embraced her daughter, and Maria felt a little better. Maria hugged her mother harder and then looked up and felt her heart skip a beat. Her face, it was all bloody. “Mom!” she finally managed to get out. Maria started backing up. She almost stumbled over her dad when she noticed he was up and trying to get in front of her. When he finally managed to get in front he held up his arms and was suddenly holding his chest where his heart would be. “Dad, Dad!” she was shaking him now. “Dad, what’s wrong”
“Dad!”
The alarm went off, and she jolted up. Her hands reached around until she felt the alarm clock then she slapped it, the sound shut off and it was silent.
She got up and pulled the covers off and thought. That was such a weird dream. Hey its kinda quiet. Is dad still gone. Alright I’ll look for him after school. She started getting ready and was done and heading downstairs and noticed her father’s shoes still weren’t there. All of a sudden she thought of her dream, she wanted to cry but she didn’t. Instead she just went to school.She walked in her class and sat down. She looked at the corner of her eye and saw that boy starring at her. She was tempted to turn around and yell ‘What are you looking at,’ but didn’t.
Class started ten minutes later, and after about an hour it was over. Somewhere in between that time her buddy got sent to the office. She had smiled when he got called. Served him right. She got up and started walking to her next class when she heard her name over the loud speaker being called to the office, she gave a confused look and walked to the office. She walked towards the office and saw the boy waiting to talk to the principal in a chair. When she looked at him he looked at her. She immediately turned her face and walked in the principal’s office.
The principal looked at her and then at his desk. He finally got up and shut the door and there was the two old people that owned the store. “Maria, Im sorry to say this to you. But your father… he” Maria’s heart seemed to stop and she felt her face go pale. Tears started forming in her eyes. It seemed like she knew what he was gonna say before he even said it. “he passed away. Im terribly sorry. The hospital called your house but they said you didn’t answer. They said he had wanted to talk to you before he went but.... Im sorry.” He shook his head apolitically. “They called these people and asked if they can tell you.” Maria looked over at the two people who used to take care of her, now they had to take care of her because she needed someone to look after her. Her sobs hadn’t gotten any softer from when she first started them, neither had her tears. She nodded and walked out the office. Suddenly she felt sick and tired and ......
She woke up on a bed. The bed was awfully uncomfortable. She looked around and saw that boy. “Wha-. Where am I” She managed to say. “Well your in the nurses office. You were crying and then you just passed out.” He felt her head. “Well you still got a temp. You want me to take you home.” She looked at him and nodded. She didn’t really know him but she just really wanted to go home. She sat up the best she could and started walking out of the nurses office. When she walked out she noticed the two old people and smiled at them, a sort a I have ta smile type. “I... he’s going to take me home. Just...I’m just going to go home and rest a little.” They nodded at her, as if they knew she had to be alone.
He helped her to his car. And then they were on their way to her house. “So, what’s your name?” He smiled at her. He had worked out something with the principal so he could take her home. She looked at him weakly “Maria” He smiled again “Mine is JJ”. She gave him a weird look then looked out the window. Maybe he isn’t that bad of a person. Then she was coming up to the store. “Wait. Stop, I want to get some medicine.” She put her hand up to tell him to stop and as soon as they pulled over, she jumped out the car and tried to run but felt too weak.
She walked in the store leaning on JJ for support. She got the medicine and walked up to the register. “Maria” The old lady, who she had learned was named Angela, had a sorrowful face on I’m sorry, please if there is anything we can do.” Maria forced a weak smile and put the medicine on the counter “Here these are on me.” Maria tried again to smile but instead starting crying. She looked down so Angela wouldn’t see her. “You are so kind, Thank you”. They left the store almost as sad as when she left the principal’s office.
They arrived at her house a couple minutes later. He helped her out of the car and into the house. Then he said goodbye and started walking out the house. “Wait. Your just going to leave me.” Maria was almost crying again. He looked at her with a sad face. “Im sorry. Do you want me to stay?” They looked at each other for a minute and Maria looked down and nodded her head.. He smiled “OK”
That night he served her dinner and then they sat down and watched TV. Maria picked up the phone and dialed Angela’s number. She talked to her and told her she was alright. She told her again if there was anything she needed to just call them. She smiled again and said alright.
Maria had shown JJ around the house. When they reached her room he walked in and looked around. “Hey, wait, don’t go through my room.” She said but still followed. He came across a picture of what looked like Maria except older. “This your mom” JJ pointed to the picture. Maria walked over to it and picked it up, “yeah… but she died giving birth to me. I think that’s the reason my dad didn’t talk to me.” She looked down. The thought of her dad dead made her teary eyed again. JJ walked over to her and put his arms around her. She didn’t return the hug, she just put her head on his shoulder and cried. It felt nice to be hugged, Maria thought to herself. Eventually she pulled her self off and wiped away the tears. “Im sorry” she looked at him. Her eyes were red along with her cheeks from crying so much. He looked at her for a minute, “well I guess I’ll go home now.”He turned around and felt something tug at his shirt. “Please… don’t leave me alone tonight.” Her voice was crackling like she was about to cry. He turned around and lifted her chin. “If you want me to stay tonight then I will.” She was so beautiful he was tempted to just lean in and kiss her, but he held back. He didn’t want to make her feel uncomfortable in any way.
Later that night she set up a bed down stairs for him and walked up stairs to go to sleep herself.
In the middle of the night JJ woke up to someone shaking him a bit. “JJ. JJ, are you awake.” A soft voice was talking to him. “I am now” He turned to look at who was talking. It was Maria. “I can’t sleep… can you stay up and talk to me.” He looked at her a minute and sat up and rubbed his eyes. She walked over to the other side of the pull out couch and got under the covers in a sitting position. She looked at him and put her head on his shoulder. “actually, can I just sleep with you” After he heard her he thought for a minute and his eyes popped open. “What!” He looked at her, she was already cuddled up on the bed. He put his hand on his head. Oh that’s what she meant. He lay down as well and closed his eyes. It felt nice to be next to her. Something about her made him feel good.
The next morning Maria opened her eyes and smiled as she saw JJ still sleeping. She slowly crept off the bed and went to the kitchen. Maria walked over to the fridge and opened it, and there sat eggs, bacon, milk, all the things to make a good breakfast. Finally after the breakfast was all done she heard JJ move in the next room. She set up plates and saw JJ in the doorway, his shirt was off, he had only jeans on, to revel a sexy body with nice muscles. She looked at him with her mouth slightly open. Oh my. She shook her head. I can’t check him out right now. She smiled at him and pointed to the food, “You want some.” He walked over to the plate and picked it up, “You better not have poisoned it” he smiled and looked at her. His hair came over his eyes a little which gave him a sexier look. Wow, such nice- brown hair... No! No! No! I cant keep doing this.
Suddenly there was a knock at the door. Maria turned her attention from JJ to the door. She then looked at JJ again and saw he was looking at the door, so she turned around and walked towards it.
She opened the door slowly and peeked in. “Are... you Maria”. There was a lady, a pretty lady. She was wearing a long, spring looking, blue dress. Her hair was pulled back into a bun, it was black, and her skin looked so soft and baby like. Maria stepped out of the house cautiously and nodded her head. “This” the lady pulled out an envelope from her pocket “is from your father. I was his nurse.” Maria took the envelope and looked at it for awhile and then back at the lady. “What is your name.” The lady smiled, “Miranda”. And with that the lady turned around and started walking. “Wait, um, what happened to my father?”. “He had a heart attack.” The lady had a sad apologetic look on her face, the same one as her principal had when he told her about her father.
Maria walked into the house and immediately looked at JJ who was looking at her waiting to figure out was going on. Maria held up the hand with the envelope in it and was about to cry. “I can’t read it. It’s from my father.” Maria fell onto the floor sitting on her legs. Her head went down along with a couple of tears. JJ ran over to her and held her. “You don’t have to read it now. Just wait until your ready.” She nodded and put her head on his shoulder. It was funny that just yesterday she hated this boy and now she felt almost in love with him.
JJ left that same day to go help out at home. She had finally let him leave after hours of crying.
Maria walked upstairs and set the envelope on her dresser and went downstairs. She wasn’t sure when she was going to read it. She started walking downstairs and felt herself overwhelming herself with sadness. She slid against the wall and held her face and cried. Never in her whole life had she ever cried so much. Finally she got up and walked up the stairs to where the letter sat on her dresser. She slowly opened it and looked over the words before actually reading it. Finally she got the nerve to read it.

Maria

I’m sorry I left you like this. I know you must hate me for it. When your mother left me I almost hated her. But I realized that she just got a head start to Heaven. I guess now im ahead of you, hopefully you wont catch up until your ten times older than I am. Im sorry I didn’t have a better relationship with you. I know you must have been upset about it. Your mother was the same way. She used to always tell me “You have to talk more. What’s going to happen with our daughter. Are you going to talk to her.” And I used to smile and say “of course”. Im sorry I didn’t. I wish I could’ve talked to you more, get to know you. When they told me that I was at high risk for a heart attack I decided that I have to talk to you before I die of a heart attack. But just when I started to show you how much I love you I die. Just to let you know I do love you. I love you more than life itself. You are my world and you and your mother are the only women I ever loved. Live a joyous and prosperous life. And hopefully your daughter doesn’t suffer the way you did. And hears a gift for her, when you have her.
Remember I love you. Love Dad


20 years later

Maria leaned on her husband, JJ, and watched her daughter, Natalie, run through the fields. Maria smiled at JJ, who even at 35 looked like he never aged at all. JJ smiled at his beautiful wife who at 33 looked more beautiful than she had at 17, and then looked out at their daughter, who fell and was now running towards them crying.
Maria bent down and looked at her 4 year old, who was crying and sobbing. “Did you fall”. Maria said with a sad face. Natalie who was looking at her cut looked at her mom, through her purple eyes, and nodded. Maria looked at her chest and felt a tear go down her cheek. There directly in the middle of her chest sat a necklace that said “ Gramps’s favorite little girl”.
© Copyright 2005 Vickyannr7889 (vickyannr7889 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1025104-Loving-Maria