*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1026488-The-Snake-Hunt
by Chelly
Rated: E · Short Story · Activity · #1026488
A short story about a snake that is lost in a school and the girl that found it.
“Mama,” Chloe screamed as she ran in the front door of Pop’s Barber Shop, “You’ll never guess what happened today in science class.”
“Young lady, you know better than to slam that door. Calm down and tell me what happened,” her mama said, not at all hyped up like Chloe.
“Ok, sorry about the door, but in Ms. Brown’s class, we were studying snakes and she had a black snake, thank goodness it wasn’t poisonous. The snake was in a glass box. Oh what’s that thing called?”
“Would that be called an aquarium,? ”piped up Chloe’s little brother, Oliver.
“Yeah, that’s it. Anyways the snake got out of the aquarium, because someone had been messing with the lid and it wasn’t all the way on. The snake made it out of the class room before anyone noticed.”
“Wow they sure were paying attention,” muttered Chloe’s mom and little brother.
“Ok, the principal made an announcement for all the teachers to close their classroom doors and to disregard all bells until further notice. He never said anything about what was happening. Our class had to search the entire building, to find the snake. They paired us up, a guy and a girl together. Supposedly if we found the snake the guy would be brave enough to pick it up. I remembered you and Daddy looking for the snake in Grandma’s house and I seriously thought about calling you and asking where we should look. Just out of curiosity, what would you have said,?”
“Probably to check in dark places, like the janitor’s closet, and around water, maybe the bathrooms.”
“Wow, I did good, the first place I thought of was dark places, mainly because that’s where you and Daddy figured the snake was hiding. The first place me and my partner went was to the janitor’s closet. He didn’t care where we looked as long as he didn’t have to touch the snake.”
“Ha, ha you got paired up with the wimp.” laughed Oliver.
“Oliver, be quite and let Chloe finish her story. Go on, Chloe.”
“Ok, the snake wasn’t in the first janitor’s closet, so we split up at the bathrooms. I told him to look under the sinks and to look good. I went in the girl’s bathroom and saw this girl standing up on the toilet sink so I said what in the world is the matter. She said a snake was slithering around in here and now I don’t know where it is now. About that time I saw a flicker of movement under the sink and I said stay right where you are.”
“You mean you got that wimp to pick up the snake.”
“Yeah right, I went outside the bathroom and told him I found the snake and to go get it and he almost went insane. I told him to cool his boots and I’d get it. So I went back in the bathroom and grabbed the snake around the neck and the end. Like this,” Chloe said, demonstrating.
“Oh, my gosh, I could have never done that,” said Chloe’s mom, terrified that something had hurt or scared her baby girl.
“Yeah, I did it and I wasn’t scared on bit. So, I was the hero of the day, and I got a 100 extra credit in science.”
“Wow, Chloe you’re so brave,” said her mom and brother as they got up from the bench and hugged her very tightly, almost too tight.
© Copyright 2005 Chelly (chelly_gurl at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1026488-The-Snake-Hunt