*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1027084-Flying-Lesson
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #1027084
Kaldir wants to be an apprentice but does he have what it takes to pass the ultimate test?
          “Jinny, I can’t make sense of this,” Kaldir said, “but I don’t want to get stuck here for another year.” He tugged his tunic hard, nearly tearing it. “I hate it here.”

          “Just concentrate,” Jinny said.

          “My test is this afternoon.” His hands trembled. “Awe, I’ll never figure it out.”

          Jinny smiled at Kaldir. “It’s ok, not everyone gets in the first time.”

          “I need to get into his class. Stinsall is the greatest teacher of magic there is and he only takes four new students each year. Layden and Taynor got in. I heard he’s already picked the third one yesterday!”

          “Kaldir, just try to focus.” Jinny walked over and sat next to him. “What is your test?”

          “My test is a spell which uses one of these three things,” Kaldir said, dumping out the contents of a purple velveteen pouch. On the table laid an old worn wizard’s hat, a bright green apple and a small drum.

          “First, I have to figure out which item to use, then I must perform a task with it while reciting the spell. Stinsall said to relax and do what comes naturally. If I do it right, I will levitate.”

          He eyed the three objects. Kaldir scratched the top of his head and thought hard. Which one should he choose? What task should he do? He knew there was an answer. Kaldir scooped up his things and dumped them back in the pouch.

          They stepped out into the courtyard and Layden floated by with a tattered wizard‘s hat cocked rakishly on his head.

          “Hey, Kaldir!” Layden said. “Remember, Stinsall said do what comes naturally.” He smirked as he drifted down the path, his hat swaying in the wind.

          Kaldir felt the heat inside of him rising. He took out the old wizard hat, raised it high and shouted the spell at Layden. “KALA MAKIA MANA!” The air grew thick with smoke. Kaldir’s ears filled with an intensifying hum until an earsplitting blast sent him reeling to the ground.

          “Be careful or you will blow up the whole town,” Jinny scolded. She picked up the small charred scraps of his hat and waved the smoke away.

          “I’m sorry,” Kaldir said. “It burns me up to think I will be back here next year at Stinky’s House of Shame.”

          “It’s Spinky’s House of Wizardry and it’s a good school,” Jinny insisted.

          “Listen, Jinny, my family expects me to train with Stinsall and I believe I should, too.”

          Kaldir dropped his head. He forgot it was her school, too. He felt awful. He wanted to tell her he thought Spinky’s was an OK school, but he remained silent. They quietly walked down the path towards town.

          They stopped at the market to grab a bite to eat. Kaldir pulled the apple from his pouch. He stared at it for several minutes. He was about to take a bite when Jinny yelled out, “Watch out you big oaf!”

          Taynor flew toward them, weaving in and out of the food carts as he munched an apple core. Kaldir swung around and Taynor knocked him off his feet.

          “Remember, Kal.” Taynor tried to talk, but pieces of apple spewed out of his mouth. “Stinsall said do what comes naturally.” He whizzed past again.

          Kaldir’s throat tightened. He picked up the apple he dropped and hurled it as hard as he could at Taynor. Kaldir shrieked, barely getting the words out. The apple exploded like a grenade. Fruit carts flipped upside down. Fruit and seeds flew everywhere.

          Jinny yelled at him, “Look at me. I look like a big fruit salad!”

          She was picking seeds off her dress when Kaldir helped Jinny up and said, “Lets go. I don’t want to be late. Not that it really matters; I’ll never get in.”

          Kaldir reached the entrance first. He pushed open the heavy oak door and stepped inside. Jinny followed. She held his arm as they walked into the massive hallway. They knew the eerie silence meant they were alone.

          “Listen, Jinny, I appreciate you coming with me, but I have to do this by myself,” Kaldir said. “I’ll be OK. I’ll meet you outside.”

          Kaldir took the drum out of the pouch and inspected it. There was nothing special about it. No words inscribed on it anywhere. The wood was smooth with animal hide stretched across the top. His mind raced back and forth for a clue.

          Kaldir wondered where Stinsall was. He put the drum under his arm and paced down the hall. He walked through the first open door. Kaldir was in a classroom. It was to be HIS classroom, only if he could figure out the spell.

          Kaldir was unable to think anymore. Words raced through his head. “Do what comes naturally,” he shouted. The words echoed through the empty school. It sounded like music.
He stared at the drum and lifted his hand.

          Kaldir’s hand came down with a sharp thud. The drum nearly dropped from under his arm. He shifted it back and struck it again. He whispered the words of the spell. Nothing happened. Nothing needed to happen. Kaldir understood. He began dancing around the room, slapping the skin with the palm of his hand. This time the words of the spell rolled off his tongue. He slapped and he slapped. He danced and he danced. He sang and he sang. His spirits soared and so did he. He didn’t notice the others standing in the doorway as he swooped high and low.

          “Congratulations, you did it!” Jenny jumped up to reach Kaldir. Kaldir circled around the room one more time then skidded to a halt.

          Stinsall smiled. “Yes, Kaldir, Congratulations! Welcome to your classroom.”

          “Welcome to OUR classroom,” Jinny said.

          Kaldir raised his eyebrow. “Our classroom?”

          “I am so sorry I couldn’t tell you. I passed my test yesterday. Stinsall said I had to keep the news a secret. He said you had to figure the test out on your own.”

          “That’s OK, Jinny, I understand,” Kaldir said. “Want to walk me home?”

          “Wouldn’t you rather levitate?” Stinsall asked.

          “Naw, I think I’ll keep both feet on the ground for now. Just for now.”

© Copyright 2005 FantasyBookWriter (mrrnewman at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1027084-Flying-Lesson