*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1027106-Run-Rabbit-Run
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Relationship · #1027106
UWW '05 short story from prompt 1 9/30


UWW Prompt 1

Write about an overheard conversation, but do not write it in the 1st person point of view. Write in the 3rd person point of view instead. Use dialogue to bring out key points of the story (the problem or crisis – the introduction of key characters and their emotions or personalities – or any other important details of your story) and use narrative writing (not dialogue) to describe the setting.


Run, Rabbit, Run.

“Two bacon, egg, and beans, with toast and jam to follow, and two large mugs of tea please.” Kate said to the waitress who had appeared at their table. The café was a product of the 1960’s, complete with melamine tables and chairs. From time to time, a disembodied voice made unintelligible announcements, which were accompanied by the arrival and departure of customers. They ate in silence, Kate’s eyes all the while on her younger sister. “Okay,” she said at last, “Let’s plan our movements. We need to get away from Derek, and the coach is the cheapest way.”
“Where are we going, and where will we stay?” Jenny asked. It was a fair question, but one to which Kate did not feel she had an answer.
“Mum had an old college friend in Oxford didn’t she?” Kate replied, “We could go there, mum was always telling us what good friends they were, and I’ve got Margaret’s address.”
“You meant to go there from the first, come on, be honest!” Jenny stared accusingly at Kate.
“Yes,” Kate admitted, “Can you think of an alternative?”



“Have you spoken to Margaret?” Jenny asked
“No. I haven’t got a phone number, just an address.” Kate confessed.
“So how do you know she’ll be there, she might be away on holiday, she might have moved; how do you know…” The younger girl fell silent, her words swallowed by fear.
I don’t.” replied Kate quietly.
Their waitress cleared a nearby table, and, realising that they had finished eating, came over to remove their plates. “Would you like another cup of tea?” she asked, “On the house mind.”
“Oh, um, yes, that would be nice. Thank you.” Startled out of her reverie, Kate replied for them both whilst giving her sister a warning look.
“Okay love, just give me a minute.” With that, their waitress made her way back to the counter before calling out “Two teas please Rube, and then it’s our turn.”
As the waitress came back towards their table, Kate realised that most of the customers in the café had left.
“There you go my love,” the woman said “Me and Ruby usually have a cuppa ourselves about now before the next rush; we’ll be over there if you want anything.” She nodded towards a table in the window, where her workmate was already taking a seat.
“Thank you.” said Kate, struggling to return the woman’s smile.
Kate dropped sugar lumps in her tea, and stirred methodically, before turning to face her sister.



“I know it’s really hard Jenny,” Kate looked earnestly at the younger girl, “But there are certain things that I just can’t tell you. You are just going to have to trust me on this one. I can’t explain why, but we do have to get away from Derek, and Margaret is our only option. Do you honestly think I would suggest going to a strange town, in the hope of finding someone I’d never met, if it wasn’t necessary?” Still looking intently at Jenny, Kate took a mouthful of tea.
“Are you saying that when we get to Oxford and find Margaret, you’ll tell her what you can’t tell me and everything will be all right?” Jenny asked, “What if we can’t find her for some reason?”
“I’m not saying it’s going to be simple at all, I know it isn’t. I imagine that there will be times when we almost wish we hadn’t started, but we’ll get over them. What we mustn’t do is lose hope and give up.” Kate’s tone was quiet but resolute.
A speaker crackled loudly, and then offered a number of indecipherable messages, clearly followed by the word Oxford.
“Well?” asked Kate, “I’d call that a good omen, wouldn’t you? Come on, let’s go and get our tickets.”
Jenny didn’t say a word, but got up from her chair, put her coat on, and slipped her backpack over her shoulder before turning to look at Kate. “Okay,” she said slowly, “Let’s go.”

© Copyright 2005 Joanna Hills (chriscl at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1027106-Run-Rabbit-Run