*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1028998-A-little-bit-of-History
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Shian
Rated: · Other · Biographical · #1028998
Here's a bit of history for the people out there.
Throughout the 1970's there was a group of Native American people, they called themselves AIM or the American Indian Movement. There was one man who was part of this movement, his name is Leonard Peltier. He, with many other AIM members, was sent to the Oglala Nation in Pine Ridge, South Dakota. In this Reservation, as they are called by the Government, the '’‘traditionals' were being terrorized by the 'politicals.' The FBI had been involved in this fight for many years, as they viewed the AIM members as types of terrorists (much like they viewed the Black Panthers). On June 26th 1975, two FBI agents were shot at close range and killed during a shootout at the Jumping Bull Property in Pine Ridge. The FBI agents have been reported to allegedly chasing a truck onto the reservation under the belief that the driver of the truck had stolen a pair of cowboy boots. As reported by the FBI, the agents were met by gunfire and they returned fire. Both agents, Jack Coler and Ronald Williams, were shot at close range in the head. Along with these two FBI agents a young Native man by the name of Joe Stuntz was also killed. The gun fight involved about 150 law enforcers and vigilantes, and about 30 Native men. Dino Butler and Bob Robideau are charged and tried in the death of the FBI agents, both are acquitted by an all White jury on grounds of self defense July 16, 1976. Leonard Peltier is living in Canada. He is arrested in Canada on February 6th 1976, A woman by the name of Myrtle Poor Bear is bullied and threatened into signing affidavits to be presented at Mr. Peltier's extradition hearings. Myrtle Poor Bear is told that she will end up like Annie Mae. Annie Mae Pictou Aquash was found in the desert in March of 1976, her hands were removed at the wrist by FBI to "identify the body." It is believed by the members of AIM that knew Annie Mae that she was killed by FBI after being 'snitch jacketed.' On April 19, 1977 Leonard Peltier is convicted of killing the two FBI agents, by way of coerced testimonies and fabricated evidence. He is sentenced to two life sentence. On July 20th, 1979 Peltier escapes custody and flees only to be recaptured by FBI on July 25th, 1979. Peltier is given another seven years to his sentence. Leonard Peltier has always maintained his innocence, and is currently in prison in Lewisburg, Pennsylvania. Currently Leonard's attorneys are looking for ways to fundraise for FOIA (Freedom Of Information Act) Requests that may give grounds to Leonard Peltier's acquittal after 29 years in prison. Mr. Peltier suffers from diabetes and lock jaw. He has undergone surgeries in the prison hospital that have left him with very limited mobility of his mouth and is losing his eyesight. The FBI have buried evidence that prove that Leonard Peltier did not shoot the agents and one of the men that have been tried and acquitted has admitted to shooting the FBI agents, and cannot by tried again under Double Jeopardy. I have been told by a former FBI agent that anything that is confessed under double jeopardy is taken for false. Leonard Peltier is considered a political prison and should be released immediately yet the courts and the judges are ruling against him and some have even ruled against his medical care, or giving him special food due to the near immobility of his jaw. Mr. Peltier is born September 12th, 1944. He will be 62 next September (2006). Keep a special place in your heart every September 12th for Leonard Peltier, a man that has been forced to give up his freedom, but has not given up the fight for the rights of his people.

FREE LEONARD PELTIER
© Copyright 2005 Shian (shian at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1028998-A-little-bit-of-History