*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1029115-Diana-Piketer
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #1029115
A fairys birthday is a true fairy tale.
I woke up this morning with a smile on my face. For it was my day to be seen. I am a fairy. Legend has it that on the day of a fairy's 13th birthday, somebody, a human, would see them. Never being seen before, the thought kinda scared me. I threw back the covers on my bed and stood up. Just being a little over three inches tall, I felt like the tallest fairy in the world. Mother walked in my room, sat down my breakfast and walked out. I looked to see what the course was. Fried oats, honey and lavendar tea. I dipped my finger into the honey and twisted it around a little bit. My wings fluttered as I sucked it off my finger. When I was finished with my breakfast, I raced down the stairs almost flying. Still in my pajamas, I peered out the window. The sky was blue. "Yes," I said to myself. When I got back about half way up the stairs, Mother stopped me." Wait honey,I have something for you,"she said. I closed my eyes as I turned around. " Open them," she said. I took in a sweet breath of air and opened them. There mother held it, it was a silk purple short dress with sequins outlining it. I put my hand on my chest and felt I was not breathing. "Mother!" I took few a short breaths and went on. " It's perfect! Did you make it?" I ran down the stairs and almost ran her over." Mother, it must have cost you a fortune," I hugged her tight. " Try it on," she said with a smile. When I had tried it on, I ran to a mirror which was in front of mother. The sleeves cut off far above my elbow. The ruffles at the bottom cut off just before my knees. The sequins on it made me look so much older. I ran my hands down my sides. " I feel like Tinkerbell," I announced. " Who," my mother asked. "Tinkerbell, all the cool kids at the playlands say that is the fairy all the humans talk about. Marque says she saw her once but she won't tell us what she looks like." I said crossing my arms. My mother kissed my forehead and pushed me out of the door." You should be the pretty little fairy all the humans talk about. Go out there be seen! " My mother said. Once outside ,I uncrossed my arms. I flew up to my bedroom window and stepped inside. I gently put on my white slippers and flew out the window. I was off. I stopped at the playlands just long anough to show off my new dress. Marque came up to me and said, "So, I hear today is your 13th?" " Yeah," I said. "I had that a long time ago......I have moved on I am almost 14." " Big Whoop," I said and continued, "I figured by then you should have reached a mature level." Marque started back, " Excuse me while I laugh, Ha.!" she said with a smile. "Marque, get a life or go and sneak and read some of those preschool books your mom is hiding in her closet for your birthday if it's so close," I said regaining the lead. " You think your SOOO cool Diana, but have you looked in the mirror lately?" I could feel my face burning now, my lips curled up and my eyes shot at her. " You will get what's comin' for you Marque. What goes around comes around. I want tickets for the front seat. So I can see your ugly little face in shame. You'll get it. Laugh now, but I'll be laughing next," I smiled as I walked off. " Okay girls, we don't need her. She is NOTHING to us. Let us tell the world." " Let you shut up," chimed in my friend Shenille. I raced over to her and gave her a hug. " Thanks for taking up for me I knew I could always count on my fairy." "Fairy's got your back," she replied. "So meet any humans yet?" "No luck in that department, but I did get a new dress," I said as I pointed down. " It's beautiful," she said. " Well, I got to go find me a human. Bye." "Bye," she replied. I flew away from there. I flew all the way to a place that the humans call New York City. My wings tickled my back as I flew. I became tired from my long journey. But I finally made it. I sat on a very large lamp post, much larger than the ones I was fond of. Then I spotted him, the human I have been waiting for. He was short, well taller than me, but shorter than everbody else. He looked about my age. He was wearing a bag on his back. I decided to get in it. I could barely fit, there were so many books. I cleared my thoat and began, " Excuse me, excuse me. Hi, my name is Diana Piketer. Hello. Do you work? Hello. Can you hear me? Ugh, your broke," I said as I flew out of his bag and into a girls. It was all pink and it smelled like some kind of flower powder. I climbed up on her shoulder and said, " HI there," she then screamed. I had to follow real fast to catch up. " Please stop!" but she was gone. I felt all alone. I turned fast and flew all the way home. Tears rolled down my face. I started to shake from the pressure building up in side me. On my way home, I was stopped by Marque trying to get me stirred up again. "Listen up Marque. I have had a bad day so the last thing I want to do is talk to you." I walked away. I wanted so badly to get Marque. I couldnt wait, but the last thing I wanted to do was to get everbody else on my bad side. I walked all the way home and just went to bed. My mom woke me up a few minutes later. She told me that I had to go to Marque's playland party." On my birthday?" I whined. " Just go," she said. I made it to the party on time. I was alone until Shenille got there. Marque walked up to me. "Here we go again," I said. "You know you would have not been invited to my party, but who could I have spent my time making fun of?" Then she walked away. "Why dont you stand up to her?" Shenille asked. " She will get what's comin' for her. Just wait". By then Marque had made it on the stage and began to sing. I walked over to Crick Brock her former boyfriend and her crush and talked for a while. He agreed to help in my master plan of getting Marque as long as he could be the star. When we all sat down to eat, Crick sat down by Marque. I could see her practically shaking in her shoes. The plan was Crick would hand Marque a note. It would say, "Marque, can I borrow the mask that you are wearing tonight for Halloween. It's really ugly. Love Crick." I walked over to the scene. Right in time for the passing of the note. I sat down right in front of Marque. " What are you doing here?" Marque said. Crick cut in, " What? I think she is cool." " Right, she's "the bomb,"" Marque tried to act nice. "Stay, " she said with an evil grin." I think I will,"I said. Crick handed Marque the note. Marque smiled as she opened it. Her evil eyes read it slowly. She looked up at Crick and ran away or at least tried. She fell into the punch bowl. Red punch stained her white dress. "Ahhhhhhh....," she screamed. Crick just turned around and began eating again. "What a jerk," I said to Crick as I ran to Marque's rescue. I pushed her into the dark. "Are you okay? "I asked. She just cried. "This is my best dress....Daddy bought it for me for my party....who would want to do this to me?" I felt a little uneasy about what happened. " I did. I did it. I told Crick to hand you that note. I'm sorry. I ll pay for the dress. I will pay for the party." I said fast not really thinking. " Oh no, it's ok. My daddy will buy me two of them. You couldnt afford it." "Yeah your right, my family could not afford that dress because they bought me this dress," I said pointing down. " Everbody knows my dress is better. It doesn't have punch on it, " I said smiling. I walked away leaving Marque in the dark. I felt better about getting Marque, but part of me wanted to say how sorry I was. I laid down in the bed that night and thought about my day. A human saw me. I got Marque back. I got a new dress and I turned 13.
© Copyright 2005 writing (iluvwriting at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1029115-Diana-Piketer