*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1030646-THE-PRINCESS-AND-THE-STORYTELLER
Rated: E · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1030646
The true values that make a successful marriage
THE PRINCESS AND THE STORYTELLER
Adapted by J.Y. Chayton
Back, far back, in the mists of time when the world was very young..in a kingdom far, far away lived a beautiful young princess who decided the time had come to share her life in marriage. She decided to have her intentions announced throughout the kingdom and invite would –be suitors to the castle to be interviewed before the entire court in the grand throne room. But, she pondered, what questions shall I ask to be certain my choice will be the right one. If I say my husband must be handsome, he might be handsome but have a cruel heart. If I say my husband must be kind, he might also be selfish. If I say my husband must be rich and powerful, he may be insensitive to my feelings. Finally she decided to ask the would-be suitors: “what of the most value will you bring to the marriage?”
The never ending stream of suitors came and were turned away because their answers did not satisfy the princess
A wealthy merchant came with servants carrying gold, silver and the finest jewels. The princess looked into the merchant’s eyes and said: “What else of value will you bring to the marriage?” He could not meet her gaze and stood silent. “I cannot marry you,” she said. Riches, alone are not enough to make a marriage.
Then came a handsome young warrior. He laid before the princess a sword encrusted with jewels and engraved with silver and gold. “I will go forth and do battle and the people of the kingdom will look upon me and say there goes the famous warrior and you will be able to bask in the light of my glory.” The princess looked into the eyes of the warrior that were as cold and hard as the steel of the sword that he had laid at her feet.. She asked: “What else of value will you bring to the marriage?” He could not meet her gaze and stood silent. “I cannot marry you,” said the Princess: “Your power and fame, alone, are not enough to make a marriage. “
Next came a young man, he knelt before the throne and gently placed a single white rose at the feet of the princess and said this is a token of my deep love for you. The princess gently touched the petals of the lovely flower and gazing into his tender eyes, softly asked: “and what else of value will you bring to the marriage. The young man returned her gaze, and with eyes filled with love, softly spoke:”I will bring 2 stories…one about the sea and the other about a stone.”
A whispering was heard in the room….”he brings just a simple rose and 2 stories”…”that is all he brings to a princess”…”he is a poor storyteller”… …”how dare he insult the princess in this fashion”… “the princess will surely turn him out.”
The princess raised her hand to signal silence. She turned to the young man and said: “please tell me the stories that you think are so valuable to a marriage…The young man began:
“As we travel down life’s road, I am sure we will .from time to time come upon large rocks in our path. For life is not without such rocks. At first it will seem the problem is insurmountable but we will put our shoulders together and together we will try to solve each problem.”
He then began the 2nd story…”In a far off land .there are two seas. One is fresh….fish thrive in its waters. Lush trees grow along its banks, their roots drawing the sea’s life- giving waters. Birds build their nests in the boughs of the trees. Men and women build their homes near to it… along its shores children play. Every kind of life is happier because it is there. The River Jordan makes this sea with sparkling water from the mountains. The River Jordan flows on south into another sea. Here there is no splash of fish, no fluttering leaf, no song of birds, no laughter of children. Travelers choose another route unless on urgent business. The air hangs heavy above its waters and neither people nor beast nor fowl will drink. What makes this mighty difference in these seas? Not the River Jordan. It empties the same good water into both. This is the difference. The first sea receives but does not keep the Jordan. For every drop that flows into it another drop flows out. The receiving and giving go on in equal measure. The other sea is miserly; ever receiving…never giving…The first sea is the Sea of Galilee. It lives because it gives as well as receives. The other sea gives nothing. It is aptly named the Dead Sea. Our marriage will be like the Sea of Galilee…always giving and receiving.” The Princess married the storyteller and they lived happily ever after—not because that’s the way that loves stories always end. But because the Princess and the storyteller made their marriage filled with the values that truly make a marriage….love, tenderness…mutual understanding, mutual giving and receiving…………..
If one should ask me: “what of value did you bring to this bride and groom to be?”…I shall say I brought this story.
NOTE: This story is based, in part, upon thoughts “borrowed” from sources I cannot remember or whom were never identified to me. To those persons, please accept my admiration and sincere attempt at attribution…and thank you for the inspiration to write this story
JYC
© Copyright 2005 J.Y.CHAYTON (drhumor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1030646-THE-PRINCESS-AND-THE-STORYTELLER