*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1032396-Academic-Games
Rated: E · Short Story · Children's · #1032396
Story of two girls who met while on their school's 9th grade academic team.
I've decided a good word to describe myself is sentimental. I love old memories and old friends. Once in awhile a memory will come back, like today, and will stay with me for a long time. Usually these memories come from high school, college, and the days when Lyndsi, my oldest child, was a newborn baby. Today, however, was differnt. Today, my memory comes from far into the past, from junior high school.
In ninth grade I decided to join our school's academic team. I am still not sure what possessed me to do this, and I only went to one meet. None-the-less, I joined.
We met each Saturday morning for "practice". Study session would be more like it, but we did practice answering questions, public speaking and the like. Everyone there was smarter than me, but I was okay with that. I think that is partially why I joined. They say when you want to be better at something, be with those who excel in those areas.
One girl in particular stands out in my memory. Tara Vasquez was amazing to my 14-year old self. She was a beautiful dancer and gymnast, a cheerleader and incredibly smart on top of all that. (She later graduated as Valadictorian of our high school.) She even served in student government more than once in junior high. Overall, she was every over-achievers dream of what they would like to be.
I'd never really know Tara other than by sight and reputation. We had a few classes together, namely English and math. Never science. I wasn't much good at science and Tara seemed to be good at everything. She was one of those girls I could never really decide if I liked or not.
She wasn't especially outgoing. She wasn't a beauty queen. However, she was pretty and dressed stylishly and tastefully as possible for a middle school student.
One cold Saturday morning after our practice had ended, everyone else had gone home but Tara and I. My dad was pulling up to the school to pick me up, so we offered Tara a ride home. I don't remember what we talked about, but it was a pleasant conversation. Tara seemed surprised at the ease of talking with me and at my friendliness. Quite honestly, I was equally surprised to find Tara shy and even a little insecure.
That day so long ago sealed my opinion of Tara Vasquez. I liked, respected, and admired her. We both moved on to the same high school, where our relationship, or lack of one, continued the same. We still had math and English together. She was still a dancer, gymnast, and involved in student government. She graduated as Valedictorian. After graduation I never saw her again, but, though we never really became friends, I'll always think well of Tara.
© Copyright 2005 Angela Ard (angiemaynes at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1032396-Academic-Games