*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1034802-Perfect-world
Rated: E · Other · Cultural · #1034802
Reflection on how imperfect our world is by visualising a much better one.
PERFECT WORLD


My eyes were itching and my sight was blurred. So I decided to switch off the computer, which had been my main focus of attention for the last few hours. I stood up and headed for the kitchen, grabbed an apple and left the house.
It was a slightly chilled night but that’s precisely what I fancied. I’ve always enjoyed going for a stroll, especially in cool starred nights like that and feel the fresh breeze on my face. I could always see people walking about, no matter how late or early it was, but by no means was this area desolate. It was actually far from it and not only my small town but also any city, country or continent in the planet. There were no better districts or worse districts. No fear of ending up in the wrong place by mistake. No apprehension that something undesirable or troublesome might happen. Not even the remotest concern for thinking that some human or animal would stare at you with malicious eyes. On the contrary, emitting smiles was the common practice, which always radiated these benign and good-hearted emotions. The inhabitants in this planet never learnt what the term police meant, nor did they know that weapons ever existed in other parts of our universe. Starvation was unknown as well, for there were no expenses on any device or whatchamacallit with the purpose of harming the living, which allowed everyone to be fed to satiation.
After my brief walk, I returned home. I sat on the couch, grabbed the remote control and turned the TV over until I got the news channel. It was gratifying to watch the news, as I knew I was most likely to be informed about some beneficial event, some progress or maybe a new discovery that was going to benefit our population. In the unlikely event that some natural disaster occurred, every single nation, without exception or doubt, would offer help. This help was efficient and swift, and the only expectation in return was the satisfaction of having rescued or saved lives; of having helped rebuild demolished houses; of having comforted people who had lost some of their beloved.
Once I had had enough of the box, I made for my bed, thinking that the following day would be another brilliant one, with many a thing to look forward to. So I lay down and fell into a profound sleep.
When I awoke, to my bitter and adverse disappointment, I realised that the world I conceived was nothing more than an imaginary world; it had been a bad dream.
I dare say a bad dream, my dear reader, because I was dreaming of the unachievable; of an ideal that is far from possible. And now back to reality, it is not difficult to comprehend how brutal and barbaric we, humans, can be at times and how easily we could transform our world for the better: but it’s only up to us, up to all of us. It is in our power to alter things and turn the negative into positive. Could you, Mr. Reader, envisage a world without violence, aggression, starvation, crime, corruption, terrorism, war, torture...? Physically it is possible, but the human mind will not tolerate it.
© Copyright 2005 bentonar (bentonar at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1034802-Perfect-world