*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1035490-Disaster-in-New-Orleans
Rated: E · Short Story · News · #1035490
It is a fictional story about what happens to a girl during Hurricane Katrina.
My name is Kathren. I live near Howard Avenue in New Orleans. The city seemed so peaceful and lively. I walked toward the Superdome listening to my walkman. Many people here love listening to jazz. It’s almost like it sings out your desires. I guess that’s why everyone calls New Orleans the Big Easy.
It’s amazing how much the French influenced this city. Most of our lifestyles and customs come from them. Currently, the Saints are in New York City. Hopefully, they will win the game. As I left, I noticed a few clouds forming a strange pattern. I shrugged, it was probably nothing.
The Superdome is an incredible place. Sport fans can be seen everywhere. I wandered a bit, not sure what to look for. Suddenly, I heard a loud noise coming from the outside. I ran out and saw that the levee was breaking. A shiver went down my spine. Without the levee, we would have a big possibility of a flood. Winds began to pick up at a faster than usual speed. I quickly sprinted back to the Superdome. I need all the cover I can get. After all, a hurricane is coming fast.
I am starting to think we will be stuck here forever. The hurricane is still raging outside, as strong as ever. There was not a lot of room to move since many people were stuck in here with me. I am worried that my parents did not make it to a shelter. The storm came so quickly, many people were caught unprepared. I was tempted to go out and search for them but I knew that is a foolish thing to do. I feel like I would scream out with frustration. There is nothing I can do but wait.
As I predicted, New Orleans is now almost completely underwater. Dead bodies can be found everywhere. From what the security officers told us, there are many other shelters that can be found like the Astrodome. It seems that I can’t stay here but then, where will I go? Where were the mayor and the governor when we need them most? I feel completely lost with no one to help me.
When the people from Red Cross and F.E.M.A arrived, I felt that I could finally breathe. They were generous and gave out food to all of us. I asked them if they had seen my parents. They said no and looked at me with sympathy. I glanced away and decided to check every shelter there was until I find them. It would be best to start at the Astrodome. I will find them, if they are still alive.
© Copyright 2005 Ladyazn0503 (ladyazn0503 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1035490-Disaster-in-New-Orleans