*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1037160-Creation-of-Inspiration
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Experience · #1037160
My crazy way of making stories. Do I seem arrogant? (For The Next Step contest)
‘Darkfire’ sat at the computer, bored and in no mood to work on her current story about a young woman and her plight with banished Gods. The story was intoxicating for her to write, half autobiography and half fantasy, but the chapters seemed to take forever to write. She was working on the third chapter now, but she didn’t know what to put next. Her most recent scene had ended with her main character, a fiery young woman, breaking the nose of one of the Gods. Now he was recovering and she didn’t know how to open the next scene.

Frustrated and her muse running overtime like a caffeine-high hamster running the hinges off of its wheel, she saved the story she had decided to call in whole, ‘Intuition of Destiny’ and opened a fresh page on Microsoft Word. She stared at the page on the screen for a few minutes and sipped casually at her iced tea, one of the contributors to her active imagination. She set the brew down and spun the bottle around, never once looking away from the computer screen.

“I’m stupid,” she decided firmly with a nod to herself. “Not only am I unable to finish ONE novel, I can’t even stay with one story!” she declared to the empty computer room. She glanced around, then spun in the chair hyperly so the printer and shining computer screen blurred into the rest of the messy room. When she slowed to a stop, she kicked off the other way to keep herself from becoming dizzy, and slowed to a stop a second time. Again she stared at the page on the screen.

‘Darkfire’ then scooted close to the computer and began to type. As she worked, a smooth pattern of images began to form on the page as she read what her fingers produced. She never stopped, and didn’t she see the errors her writing made. She didn’t stop to fix the red or green underlined errors. A new trance came over her, and she was filled with a feeling of being complete, as if a missing part of her soul was being returned to her, safe and sound, warming her.

Finally she finished and wondered at the strange scenes created by her muse and fingers with no use of her brain at all. It had been an extremely smooth transaction, which was not what she had felt of late when working on Intuition. She then began to correct it, trying to catch as many errors as possible. Her hands aching and cramped, she finally took her relieved mind off of her creation and browsed through her newest Internet discovery, Writing.Com.

It was a promising web site, and it looked fun. However, ‘Darkfire’ had a few initial issues when she had signed up, but now it was official, she was a member! But she didn’t want to post Intuition, it was going to be her novel and she felt she should be paid when it was read. She sighed as she searched and discovered the joys of auto-reward reviewing. Soon she put the computer on Stand By and, bored, left the messy dark room for a cozy bed and sleep.




After a day filled with the horrors of school food, and a night of hard horse riding, ‘Darkfire’ returned home. She sat down to the computer and kicked the desk, waking the computer as she dumped her school books on the floor and pretended to do her homework while she role played over IMs with her friends. It was late by the time she saved the RP log on her email and realized the Microsoft document was there with her strange story, left forgotten. She opened it and thought it was very much like a dream.

Instantly, her brain kicked into overdrive as she put an entire novel around the dream. She stopped when she realized she already had a good story in the making, and she wasn’t all that good with balancing two things at the same time. Her window to Writing.Com was still open and an idea hit her. This ‘dream’ was a random spurt of work. It wasn’t well corrected and very raw. She wondered what others would have to say about this thing.

Reason came into her mind. This wasn’t at all polished like her hard efforts on Intuition, just a piece of pure muse. If she put this up for comment, others could evaluate it and she would be able to see her own talent. She reasoned it was like giving a piece of raw ore to a smith to determine if she should mine the vein, or if it wasn’t worth dirt. If these people liked her random piece, how would they liked something fully formed and in full detail and went over until it shone like gold?

She opened the page and after a few conflicts with her lack of knowing how to use the system, she managed to put her item up. Since she had a good-for-nothing school computer to use while her GOOD computer was being cleaned up, she could not find out how to use the WritingML. She grudgingly substituted symbols to represent speech that she would otherwise use Italics for.

She checked everything over once, twice, three times, nervous. She wondered what others would think now, and felt as if her life was on the line. But she finally pushed the button and instantly felt a weight lift from her mind. It was not he end of reality, she knew. It wouldn’t end her life to be given negative criticism. When you are at the bottom, the only place to go is up. And she knew there were worse writers out there than her.

She relaxed in her chair as she looked at the piece she had decided to title ‘Inspiration of Fire and Blood’. It was an interesting piece of work that made her mind work a web of thoughts whenever she read it. It was a good piece, and she saw nothing wrong with it that was major. It didn’t really matter what others said about it anyway. It was only a fraction of what she could create. She could recreate the scene into her polished work, the kind she was proudest of.

‘Darkfire’ knew form experience that no one would be able to see her item or know it was there unless she did something. She remained confident with these thoughts in mind as she became somewhat active in the forums and in reviewing.

It took a while, but she received an increase of views over the days and finally, she received reviews. She was startled at the positive nature and the helpful pointers. She regained her computer which, functioned at light speed, and began editing her story. She came up with a subtitle to the story, adding ‘Only Dreams’ to the document to clear up the spoken confusion about the story. She received three reviews, rating her story at 4.5 stars, mainly for the roughness of it.

‘Darkfire’ smiled as she received an invitation to participate in a contest, ‘The Next Step’. She wondered if everyone who had posted had received an invitation like hers, but it didn’t matter. The contest sounded like a fun project to get her out of writer’s block. She opened a blank document and left it alone for hours, letting her muse stretch its legs before feeding it iced tea. Finally, she settled in her spinning chair and let her fingers do the talking.
© Copyright 2005 Darkfire (darkfire at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1037160-Creation-of-Inspiration