*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1037358-The-Hunt
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Animal · #1037358
Follow along as a pack of wolves hunts its prey.
A fleeting glance of the prey shows between the trees. Its shaggy brown fur barely standing out against the rough bark of the trees. I can smell its blood; one of the others must have wounded it. One of my brothers is off to the side of me, we fall into step together. The prey shows up again to our right and we switch directions to intercept it. As we turn I can see the other pack members have also turned.
Black Eye and I get there first. I lunge at the prey’s neck while he goes for its backside. My teeth sink into its neck and I clamp them down. I ignore the rough fur tickling my nose. The prey runs and bucks trying to get me off. By the way it’s moving I can tell that Black Eye weren’t the only ones who had made their mark.
The prey violently shakes its head to the opposite side from me and I go flying. Experience has taught me well and I land on my feet. In a glance I see that Black Eye is still on the prey’s backside. Nina has taken the place I had been. Nicker and Silver Tip have cornered the prey between them, and Eagle and Owl, our alpha, each have a hold on a leg. At another glance Nina falls from her hold and I leap up and once again clamp my jaws on the prey’s neck.
Nina and I have broken through the prey’s rough skin and blood is rushing out. I swallow it as it fills my mouth. I can feel the prey trying to throw me off again. But, it’s getting weaker; its bucks are less often and not as strong. I dig my teeth in deeper. The prey falls to it’s knees then to the ground. I twist its unmoving neck and let go as it dies without a movement or sound. Nina, Silver Tip, Black Eye, Nicker, and I move back to wait for our turn while Eagle and owl eat their part of the prey.
While I wait I look down at our meal. It is a good-sized buffalo but it had been weak and sick. It now has pieces missing from its backside, neck, belly, and small patches of the legs. We finish our meal and head back to the den to take care of the pups.
© Copyright 2005 Amy Moone (amymoone at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1037358-The-Hunt