*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1038330-lV-The-Accolade
Rated: E · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #1038330
A hero is knighted...
Chapter Four
The Accolade


WHEN GADAHIN HEARD SIR PARESIS’ words, he nodded assent, and meekly followed the knight down the dusty stairs, carrying his hauberk and armor in his hands. He did think it somewhat strange when he was ordered to bring his entire set of armor, hidden in a sack, with him. The lance, long, large and valuable as it was, posed a problem which caused the old Knight Paresis much head scratching and throat-clearing. Finally he decided upon a plan of action that would require the squire and himself to use a small byroad, where he was sure they would meet with no passersby. Johánnes and two other men-servants would accompany them to the lord’s gates, stop there, and wait for them to return. Upon returning, the trio would again escort the knight and squire home.

Halfway to the lord’s castle the squire turned abruptly to Paresis.

“Why do we go to Lord Percy’s manor?”

The old knight leaned forward. “For a long while have I watched you, and carefully noted your knightly and gallant ways. You are fully of age, you are prepared, and you have a steady hand—which all points to the fact that you must one day become a knight. When would it be better than now to do so? You wish to go to the Tournament. Only knights can truly fight there. You have now found your armor. Therefore…” Sir Paresis paused, then continued, in a solemn tone, as one about to confer a title upon another, “It is well that you become a knight, today, by the hand of the excellent Lord Percy.”

He was not prepared, however much Paresis may say so…Gadahin’s mind reeled, and he could only repeat those words over and over. He was not prepared! Why was he not warned? Perhaps he could have gotten away through the back courtyard.
Again he startled the knight with an abrupt question. “But how…what am I, to do this thing? I…I cannot think that I am prepared.”

“Nay, my son, you are fully ready, and never more prepared than now. Your words now have proven you so, for a true knight does not think he has might. Take my advice, Gadahin, and come along. You know yourself how you wish to joust. That you cannot do unless you were a knight. It is, therefore, high time you were knighted. Now we are almost there, I pray you, do not turn back.”
Gadahin sighed.

“But I must say this. I feel unprepared. You may think I am, but I feel less ready than any time in my life. I have always wanted very much to be a knight. Now that I am faced with it in such a sudden way, I shudder at knighthood and turn away from it.”

But the old knight only nodded his head in a pleased way.

“A good thing. If you felt bold, haughty and prepared, I would order you instantly back where you came from. When a man is meek and humble before his new burden, it is then that he is most prepared for it. Now no more argument, my son, but ride straight on.”

Gadahin slapped his white steed with the reins reluctantly, and, with another sigh and a meek “What you will, m’lord,” he followed the knight a little ways behind for respect and finished the journey in silence.

Many people crowded the roads as Sir Paresis and Gadahin journeyed towards Lord Percy’s castle. It took a while for the two men to clear a path for their horses through the hosts of people, and it seemed to each that they would never reach the great castle of the lord of Krona.

In due time, however, they arrived at the gates.
“Ho! Look ahead, messier Gadahin!” The old knight broke the silence and pointed with his riding whip to a tall, regal-looking gate looming in the distance. Two enormous lions, glaring wrathfully at every person who passed by, guarded the entrance. Behind the gate rose the great and stolid-looking white towers of Lord Percy’s stronghold.

“I am glad it is he who rules Krona. There is none better, my son, in all this land. Ah me, I fear the day when he is gone.”

Gadahin stared at the castle in awed silence. The grandeur of the place was great. The quiet bubbling sound of the fountains was a soft melody to the ear; the call of paradise birds from the overflowing gardens broke the silence gently; the clinking of horses from the stables gave witness to the life inside the great house; the sound of servants from the bailey, and the smell of fresh stew, reminded one that dinner was about to be served; the pretty atmosphere, with the tall battlements in the foreground, and the green meadows in the background, added the finishing touch to the regal picture.

The old knight was talking to the gatekeeper familiarly. When he finished, he turned to Gadahin. “What think you of this place?”

“It is…” Gadahin groped for the right words. “There is no word to express it.”

“Ha, that is right. Now let us enter. You will see more of how great it is on the inside.”

Gadahin let the old knight enter first, then slowly made his way in behind. He was still a little shaken from the thought that knighthood was about be conferred upon him so suddenly.

As soon as they were in the bailey, a lackey with his velvet-striped livery flashing in the sun, descended the castle steps and came out to the waiting men.

“His Lordship desires your entrance, and greets the most noble Knight Paresis with respect, and the young baron with honor. May’t please you to enter?”

Bowing, the lackey departed, calling loudly for a groom from the stables. Gadahin descended his horse with the nimbleness of a skilled horseman and slapped the horse’s back.

“Go on, Exeter,” he said to the horse. Obediently the white animal moved forward and trotted gracefully to the stables.

“You have a valuable and handsome beast there, Gadahin,” the old knight said.

Gadahin smiled and nodded in agreement. “He ’twas a colt when I bought him from the stables. The finest one there, born of the great stallion Hector.”

Their speech was broken off when another well-dressed servant came out and escorted them inside the castle. Acknowledging his invitation, both knight and squire made their way to the great open-roofed bailey, where the Lord of Krona awaited them.

***

Lord Percy was waiting inside when the two entered, and greeted them with evident pleasure. He was young for his station, yet he fit it better than any other. The peasants and serfs on his land loved him well, for he treated them as if they were an equal, and paid them well from the harvest that they gathered him faithfully each year.

The most outstanding thing about Lord Percy was his magnificent pair of eyes. They seemed to look straight past the outside, into the inside, and deep inside a person’s very heart, making that individual rather squirm in discomfort, feeling as if his very secrets were being uprooted and held before the world. Lord Percy’s eyes were dark, deep, mysterious rivers of sapphire, which glinted and shone with all the regality of a nobleman. His smile was welcoming, his manners gallant and pleasing; and his skin dark, as the result of his many outdoor rides and surveys of his land.

After talking with Sir Paresis respectfully, the lord turned with a smile to the young squire. “I am pleased to greet you, messier Gadahin.”

Gadahin looked up at him and smiled back. “So am I, my lord.”

“’Tis good. I am always glad to see you, Gadahin. Now… What is the reason for your coming, my friends? Have you need of anything?”

The old knight spoke, a pleased smile on his beaming countenance. “I have come here to ask a thing of you, my lord, one which I desire you do. And I know you will not be slow towards it. Will you make this young squire a knight?”

Lord Percy’s sapphire eyes brightened, and his dark-colored face beamed with pleasure. “Would I?” He looked over approvingly at Sir Paresis. “Whatever you say I may fully trust, m’knight,” he nodded. “I esteem your judgment highly.” Then, turning back to Gadahin, “Aye, with all my heart. To knight such a one!” He shook his head slowly, and paused. Then he looked up again. “I will. Aye, my friends. Though it may be hasty, and no formalities added unto, yet I will, if you wish it so, my good knight. Nay—wait. Sir Paresis, has this knight done a gallant deed in arms yet?”

Sir Paresis nodded smugly. “Aye. I have looked to that. Remember you the small affair at Burns?”
“Aha! Aye, and how bravely the young squire fought! I will knight him, and gladly. But… Gadahin, where is your armor? Knightly etiquette demands it on when I knight you. Good squire, there is no better man living that I would be happier to make a knight. Till my death shall I remember this day with happiness. But the armor?”

“I have the armor here, in a sack,” said Sir Paresis, handing it to Gadahin. “Make yourself ready.”

“I will.” Gadahin was surprised at his calm tone, for internally he felt about as calm as a raging sea in stormy weather.

“My lord Percy,” began Paresis, as Gadahin left the room, “there never was a better knight to be made than he. I know you will be glad you made him so. And, my lord, he has better armor than you yourself have. For,” he lowered his voice to a whisper, “the silver lance has been found.”

The forenamed lord almost forgot himself by staring.

“Is it so? The solid silver one? I had thought it disappeared. Did you find it?”

“Aye, after some searching. We have also searched for and found the sturdy hauberk that served Lord Philip well in many a battle.”

“Ah!” Percy, astonished beyond measure, could think of nothing better to ejaculate.

“But wait… hither he comes. Think if he were on a horse! He would prove the perfect knight, my lord. Come in, my son.”

Percy stared with undisguised admiration at the armed figure that stepped in-between the wide pillars and once again into the bailey. Gadahin, careful of his armor, holding his lance with knightly grace, his coif slid back behind his neck in a glimmering pile of metallic silver, crossed the paved yard to Lord Percy’s side. A regal sword hung at his waist, the thick, heavy, golden sword that Paresis had found; and his tall figure gave a new grace to the silver hauberk that he wore. To complete the gorgeous picture, Gadahin held the silver lance, which glowed in his hands. It was so heavy that he was thankful for the open yard of the bailey in which to carry it.

The lord could say nothing for a while. Finally he roused from his musings and addressed the squire with a new respectfulness. “The lance… May I see it, baron Elziver?”

“Aye. Here ’tis.” Gadahin carefully handed it to the lord, who received it with eagerness.

“A marvel of skill, messier. I am at a loss to describe it. Gadahin, you have something there. I should be pleased to give half my realm to own this.” After careful scrutiny, the lord gave the weapon back with evident reluctance. “Now come outside, in the bailey, and kneel, my son. I have the sword wherewith to knight you.”

‘The sword’ that Lord Percy spoke of was a handsome, shining steel weapon with a sharp edge. The handle was a glimmering gold, carved all over with faces and flowers. Never had Gadahin seen a longer blade than the shining one that curved gracefully from the handle of Percy’s sword. It was a true king’s weapon, and it fit the lord well.

“’Twas my great-grandfather’s,” said Lord Percy, noting Gadahin’s interest. “A great sword it ’tis. It gave my father true defense in the same war wherein your father was killed.” He paused for a while, then looked up at the squire. “Now come. We must not stay this. Sir Paresis, will you be witness to this grand event?”

“Aye.” The old knight’s eyes glowed. “That I will, with all my heart.”

“Good. Let us to it.”

Gadahin kneeled, his golden head echoing the yellow rays of the sun. All the noise in the court seemed to suddenly die down, and a peaceful stillness reigned unbroken in the quiet bailey. As Gadahin bent his knee, a red-throated robin burst into a loud melody, and the wind sprang up, tugging at the cloth surcoat that hung over Gadahin’s armor.

The sword that had often done its warlike duty in fierce battles was now being unsheathed for a peaceful duty. As the lord raised it, his eyes glowed softly and his face grew radiant.

With one graceful, sweeping motion, Lord Percy poised the sword over the kneeling squire’s shoulder.

Gadahin saw the long, glittering blade whistle down, and a sudden flash of steel that blinded his eyes. He felt a soft blow on his shoulder, and heard the rich voice of Lord Percy, speaking with a lordly solemnity.

“Rise, Sir Gadahin of Elziver, true knight of England and the king!”

Gadahin rose—a new man, a true knight.

End of Chapter Three











© Copyright 2005 Jaoli~ miss you all, bye ;( (princess_jaoli at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1038330-lV-The-Accolade