*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1038486-THE-OWL-CALLS-YOUR-NAME-
Rated: GC · Novel · Biographical · #1038486
Mexico around the turn of the 20th century
It was a small town in Chihuahua, Mexico , it was to large to call it a village but smaller than what most people would call a town. The train station was a short distance from the town so when you got off the train you had to walk a short distance maybe one to two hundred yards. Jose had just got off the train and asked the conductor to make sure his things were taken to the hotel.There was only one hotel in town and it really wasn't very fancy, but it had a bed, some dresser drawers and a bathtub. Jose dusted himself off as he stepped onto the wooden sidewalk after taking the stroll from the train station. As he stood in front of the mercantile he took a glance down each side of the street to locate the hotel which would be his home for a short while. He really couldn't believe he was here. Jose was familiar with Mexico City where he studied at the University, and he knew a few of the bigger cities between Leon, Guanauato and the Capital, but he had really never seen Mexico.The Mexico that he studied about at the University, but at present he was looking for the hotel. When he looked to the right he saw the hotel but he also saw a small group of children walking in a straight line as if they were soldiers on a mission. They entered the mercantile and at the end of the line of children was a pretty young Indian girl who appeared to be 17 or 18 years of age and followed behind to make sure everyone stayed in.. " Excuse me, can you tell me where the hotel is ? Jose said to the young Indian girl. She looked at him but didn't say a thing, because it wouldn't be right for a single young girl to speak to a young man unsupervised, especially a complete stranger. They smiled at each other as she followed the children into the mercantile and then she was gone as the door closed behind her. Jose, was looking down at his shoe's as he smiled thinking of the pretty young girl and all the children walking in a straight line, He shook his head smiled and whispered to himself, " the town isn't that big " he looked up and there it was , One thing he thought of as he headed towards the hotel was that they were all barefoot. He was hired by the government to come here to teach Spanish to the people who lived in the area most were Indians. And they didn't speak Spanish.They didn't read or write in any language for that matter. They mostly spoke their own tribal language, He wondered if the pretty young girl would be in any of his classes.
© Copyright 2005 Tallpines (tallpines at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1038486-THE-OWL-CALLS-YOUR-NAME-