*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1040159-Donovans-Gift
Rated: E · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1040159
Larki comes home to find a gift from Donovan, before his trip.
She sat in her car, once again, staring out through the clear windshield at the traffic that flowed by. Donovan was working, and so she sat, bored and waiting. She could be doing any number of things, really. She could be shopping, cooking... writing, reading...preparing herself for a whole two weeks without him. Inwardly, she flinched – she really hadn't meant to remind herself that he was leaving. Flying out of the country for a special job, he had told her. With a small sigh, she reached forward and shoved her keys into the ignition, bringing her darling red monster to life. It rumbled and roared, unhappy to be sitting still, and she shook her head. I feel the same way, she thought miserably, and shifted into drive. Time to go back to the hotel.

Once she had parked in the crowded lot, hidden in the shadow of the tall Marriott, she made her way to the top. The elevator was empty, so she leaned against one wall and stared at the carpet under her feet. She never did understand why Don had to have a room on the very top floor, but he did. She didn't care either way, really as long as she had the pleasure of his company, she was happy. Her lips turned up slightly in a smile as she thought about him, and then the elevator gave a small chirp and slid open.

Their suite was at the end of the hall on the left, and as she sauntered down, her boots shuffling on the carpet, she wondered what job was so special. In Rome, he said. Something about Italians was all she knew. He never told her much about the jobs. It made things safer for both of them. That way there wasn't the threat of elimination on either part because she knew too much, or he had let her talk. Oh, look. There was their door. She slid the key in and turned the knob, leaning against the heavy thing to inch it open.

The suite was clean, of course: the maids always made sure of it. She kicked her boots off and sank onto the couch, propping her feet up on the ottoman in front of her. The TV was blank, but she didn't even have the will to turn it on. She sat there, she didn't know how long, just staring at the black screen. She might have dosed off, she didn't know. But when her mind came back to reality, she realized she was hungry. And the sun was setting, to boot.

Rolling off the couch lazily, she stretched, arching her back and lifting her shirt as she went. In a fit of insanity, she acted like her father did, and slouched across the room, lazy and scratching her belly like a typical redneck. Ew. Must stop that immediately, she thought, shoving her hands into her pockets. Her bare feet wiggled against the carpet, quite the odd feeling, but she was bored. And into the kitchen she went, slightly hopping on the cold tile, a small voice in her mind announcing that she needed some slippers. She reached out to swing open the refrigerator, and a small bag on the counter caught her eye.

It was an average gift bag, a deep red in color, and it shined when the light hit it. Curling ribbons decorated its handles, red and blue and gold. Red tissue paper was stuffed in the bag, rising out of the top like a range of mountains in miniature. Simple as it was, it made her breath catch in her throat. Simple beauty, she thought, staring in shock. The colors reflected off the bag and ribbons, shooting slashes of light and colors across the counter. A small card stuck out of the bag, and she tentatively picked it up.

It showed two little birds cuddling, a picture of adorable infatuation and love, and she smiled softly, tracing a finger over the paper. When she opened it, his words jumped out at her, in his looping, almost feminine handwriting.


Darling Larki ~
         I know you will miss me while I am away on business. And I know exactly the reasons you will miss me for, too! Fear not, I will not find another wench while away, my little songbird. But I have bought you something, so you would not be so terribly lonely. After all, I know you just can’t get enough of me, no matter what part of me it is! My direct cell number is already programmed in, so all you need to do is press the 2 key and then hit ‘talk.’ I’ll see you when I get home tonight.
         Yours Truly,
                   D. McDavis


She grinned at his words and set the card down, feeling her skin tingle. He was so full of himself sometimes, but then again, he was right. There was more than just one reason for her infatuation with him, and he was not stupid enough to ignore that fact. He basked in that glory, she guessed. She eyed the little bag again and picked it up, weighing it in her hands. Gently pressing aside the tissue paper, she reached in and pulled out the small velvet box. Lifting the lid off, she smiled at how thoughtful he was and examined her gift.

It was a sleek black cell phone, and she could see the small lense that identified it as a camera phone. Since it was already out of its box, she wondered if he had taken a picture of anything, just for her. Flipping it open, she laughed at the background the phone held: him, lying on their bed, sans shirt. He normally was, but the image was just too good. He had captured his own goofy grin, and now whenever she opened the phone, she could see the center of her infatuations. She smiled and closed the phone, holding it close to her chest and resisting the urge to give a little cry of joy.

“Ah knew ya’d like it,” a small voice whispered in her ear, closing his arms around her waist. She yelped and tried to twist away, digging at his arms. When he planted a kiss on the back of her neck, she gave an exasperated sigh and stomped her foot, trying to smash his toes.

“Damn it, Donovan!” she growled, wiggling around to face him. He loomed over her, much taller, chuckling at her anger. “How many times do I have to tell you to quit sneaking up on me!

“At least once more, dahling,” he crooned, kissing her forehead. “Now quit being such an arse and let’s go eat. I feel starved.” He nuzzled against her neck again, and she leaned her head on his chest, wrapping her arms around his waist. She shook her head, a soft smile touching her lips as she hugged him. What a dork, she thought, but she only hugged him tighter.



© Copyright 2005 Skyelark (skyelark at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1040159-Donovans-Gift