*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1040414-Chapter-1-Fallen-Goddess
by Keres
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Fantasy · #1040414
A World in danger and is in need of a hero...shall it be the one who sought to destroy it?
1. The Fallen Goddess


         Zakandra woke with dawn’s early rays beaming through her window. She yawned, tiredly rubbing the sleep from her eyes. Her eyebrows knit together in confusion, what in the name of Seven Hells was she doing awake so damned early anyway? She never woke up this early! A smile tugged at the corners of her lips, this gave her plenty of time to slip away; she could finally visit the Fallen Goddess she realized cheerfully. Lately her father had made doubly sure that she didn’t have the time to sneak away and indulge herself.

         Silently she went about getting dressed to start her day. Zakandra inched open her door, taking care to keep it silent and as much care shutting it behind her as she had been with its opening. She tiptoed past her father’s room, grabbing her shoes before exiting the house the two of them shared. It took a matter of seconds to slip her shoes on before she was running through the spattering of tree homes someone had the nerve to call the capital of the Elven World to reach the secluded, uninhabited forest on the other side. With one last glance over her shoulder at the sleeping ‘capital’ to make sure no one had seen her leaving even in the half-light of dawn; she slipped into the forest.

         Zakandra let her feet carry her down the secret trails through the trees to the destination while her mind wandered. She was only slightly winded when she reached the cave in which the Fallen Goddess dwelled. A smile brightened her face at the prospect of a meeting with Her on the verge of being realized. She took a deep breath and stepped inside the cave, ducking so as not to hit her head on the ceiling of the entryway. Zakandra suppressed the desire to explore the other tunnels and cave systems and headed straight to the Fallen Goddess and Her pulsing light that lit the halls.

         Zakandra passed through the doorway into the Goddess’ spacious cavern, dropping to a knee as a show of fealty. “Exalted One.” She greeted, bowing her head low. She rose and crossed the room to stand by the pulsating crystal. “Something is going to happen today.” She declared, knowing in the depths of herself that she spoke the truth, that her dream had somehow been prophetic; though that knowledge would’ve been more helpful if she could remember the dream.

         Hello Beloved. A silver voice whispered in Zakandra’s mind. The crystal stopped pulsating and glowed brightly. It has been some time since we have spoken. It continued, smile apparent even in its silken mental tones. I too have felt something shift, but I fear it is not for the best. Dearling, I think things are going to plummet for the worst for all races. The voice stated growing serious.

         Zakandra grinned despite the horrible confirmation; somehow contact with the Fallen Goddess always made her giddy. She carefully reigned in her emotions before continuing the conversation. “What should I do?” She asked tentatively, wary of broaching the subject at all, as she rested her hand against the crystal. Zakandra gasped as the light of the crystal flared. The aura of the Goddess surrounded her, filling her a sweet air of peace, love, and a sense of rightness and justice. She jerked her hand back in both shock and the feeling that she would be lost if she maintained the contact.

         A silvery laugh filled her mind. Go home; there is work to be done there. You will know what to do when the time comes. The Goddess’ voice whispered, a brilliant smile flashed in Zakandra’s mind. A ghostly hand caressed Zakandra’s face, sending shivers up and down her spine. She bowed quickly and hurried from the chamber, awe struck at the honors bestowed on her.

***


         Andariel meandered down the forest trail enjoying the breeze as it ruffled her waist length silver hair, her green eyes searching for the game trail that would lead to the waterfall she sought. She sighed, tired of her life. Her sister Maeko, knowing of her discontentment, had sent Andariel on the pilgrimage to the Sacred Grounds for purification. She sighed again, maybe if she drowned herself she’d save them both the trouble of her existence. Maeko would be able to rule, like she always wanted.

         Andariel froze mid-step, Kyoko was distressed. Raw emotions rippled through Andariel in overpowering waves. “Shh, easy does it.” Andariel whispered, running her hand down the side of the small bag she carried slung over her shoulder. The bundle kicked, warning such attempts were not a welcome diversion. “Oh you little minx!” She exclaimed. She undid the ties on the bag and reached her free hand in. With a yelp of pain, she yanked her hand from the bag sporting two holes which immediately welled up with blood. Andariel glared at her injured fingers. In a single smooth motion, she grabbed the corner of the bag and dumped its contents. Kyoko squealed, startled; she clawed desperately at the bag as she tumbled to the ground. She grunted on the bone-jarring impact, Andariel couldn’t tell if it was a grunt of pain or at the surprise stop.

         Kyoko stood up, stretched and shook herself. She spread her wings slightly in an attempt to make her kitten body look bigger. She looked up at Andariel with eyes brimming with tears, a stare that Andariel returned with narrowed eyes. “Don’t even.” She ordered. “Served you right! Look what you did to me!” She demanded. Kyoko looked as Andariel held out her injured hand. Kyoko blinked furiously as a droplet of blood hit her between the eyes. She was off the ground with a couple flaps of her wings and hovered as she licked the wounds she inflicted. “That’s better.” Andariel said with a smile. She caught Kyoko in cupped hands and stroked her briefly before setting her on her shoulder and going about to collect the items that had fallen out of the bag with Kyoko.

         Andariel stared at the last item on the ground, the corner of her lip twitching from barely restrained disgust. She clearly remembered leaving her grandmother’s crystal at the keep. She’d never managed to synchronize with it; it was useless to her for spells but was a beautiful keepsake nonetheless. Now, she could see smoke roiling within it as it searched for an unbidden scene. She crept closer; she could see someone in it.

         Something big was happening in the system to throw off the balance so many of her people, her grandmother included, died fighting for almost a millennium ago. Andariel shielded her eyes as a bright light flared through the crystal. When the light finally faded, Andariel realized that this must have been what set Kyoko off. Kyoko had felt the crystal’s stirrings, felt the shift of the balance.

         Inochi stood before the Keres’ crystal cage, ready to wake the Fallen Goddess of Destruction; she had to stop him! “I suppose the purification will have to wait.” She whispered to Kyoko who nodded her ascent.

***


         Maeko blinked furiously, trying to refocus her eyes outward after her trance. So, Keres would be released again. Damn Inochi! She cursed. He would be so willing to destroy the balance and peace her people—rather Andy’s people had died to achieve! As if matters couldn’t get worse, Andy was considering travel to another Realm. Didn’t she know her duty was lay in warning the council? As the Ruler of the Realms, she wasn’t free to flit about the system as the mood struck her! IDIOT!

         Maeko sighed and wiped the sweat of the strenuous trance from her brow on the sleeve of her gown. It looked like she was going to have to attend the council meeting after all. She grabbed the brush at her knee as she rose from her cushion on the floor. She quickly ran the brush through her ankle-length salt and pepper hair. She wasn’t really ready for the likely emotional backlash from the council, but she had little choice. As much as Andariel would love to push her into the hot seat of lordship, Maeko understood and agreed with their grandmother’s choice of the heir. A strong empath had no place or business in politics.

         Maeko hurried to the doors, jumping back as they flew open, narrowly missing getting her nose flattened. In the blink of an eye, a servant materialized on the floor begging forgiveness and leniency. Maeko hurried past, lacking the time or patience to deal with it. “Don’t worry about it.” She called over her shoulder. She was dimly aware of the sound of footsteps running after her.

         “My lady!” The servant called, forcing Maeko to stop and act ceremonious and lady-like when all she’d wanted to do was sprint down the hall to the Assembly Room.

         “Yes?” Maeko inquired, turning to face the girl.

         The servant curtsied deeply. “I was sent to request your presence at the meeting of the council.” She continued, keeping her eyes on Maeko’s feet.

         “Perfect, I needed to crash the meeting anyway.” Maeko shrugged before remembering herself. She cleared her throat as the girl looked up at her startled, “I mean,” she began as the girl returned her gaze pointedly to the floor. “I was on my way to the council already with dire news. Please excuse me.” She corrected, dipping slightly before hurrying off. She wasn’t quite sure how, but the servant girl arrived before her and had opened the doors to the chamber.

         Maeko squared her shoulders, lifted her head higher and walked slow and dignified into the chamber. The councilors arose with flourish and bowed. Instead of moving to take her seat as was most likely expected, Maeko strode past the line of petitioners to the Floor whispering greetings and apologies.

         “Forgive me as I know you have waited long to present your cases, but I must cancel the petitioning hour and close the following proceedings to the public.” She began before an explosion of complaints and disgruntled groans interrupted her. She raised her hands in a gesture of silence and was abruptly obeyed. “We will take your names and address your cases on the morrow in accordance to your current order. Again, I apologize for the inconvenience.” She finished. She spun around and walked purposefully to her—rather Andy’s seat.

         Maeko made a show of being interested in the names and reasons for the people’s presence but all she could think about was how tired she was at playing Ruler of the Realms. She wanted to be able to curl up in her own seat, a plush love seat in front of the fire – just out of reach to the rear and right of her – and embroider as she listened with half an ear ready to give Andy her opinion when asked. Andariel, she thought grumpily, you had better stay in this Realm; I cannot take much more of this.

***


         “And WHERE have you been?!” Zakandra’s father, Baron Ravi demanded as Zakandra slipped into the chamber.

         “Out.” Zakandra shrugged, keeping her tone cool as she took her seat at the council table.

         “That’s hardly…” He began huffily.

         “…a topic for the council table.” Zakandra cut in smoothly. “It’s time we get down to business.” She stated, recomposing herself. “For the first order of business we have…”
© Copyright 2005 Keres (keacelene at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1040414-Chapter-1-Fallen-Goddess