*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1041005-Opulently-Ominous
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #1041005
lost in the woods
The thunder shouts and growls at the lonesome figure streaming through the thick, seemingly endless trees. She throws a few wary glances over her shoulder and tries to stay aware of every step she takes. Tears unknowingly poured down her scratched and beaten face. She was unaware of the raindrops now.

She just needed to escape.

Blindly, she tore through vines and thorns, caring not about the blood pouring from scrapes all over her once porcelain legs and arms. All she wanted was to escape. But that was a far stretch, and she knew it.

Miles away from any type of civilization, she felt her prayers were in vain. Not a road anywhere in sight - not a path or a sign to show her that she was indeed headed in the right direction.

Endless steps took her further away from something she knew nothing about.

"Escape! Escape!" ran constantly through her frightened mind. But she knew there was no way out.

She bent over in pain as her legs gave out. She couldn't go on. What was the use anyway? She knew the ominous fate that awaited her. She was simply putting it off by running from it.

She collapsed on the soaked grass and leaves. And waited. For what, she did not know. She only knew it was coming. For her.

The thunder pounded and the lightning struck. She closed her eyes and fearfully awaited her hopeless fate.

Within minutes, the rain slowed and the daunting thunder slowly moved past, on to haunt another awaiting soul.

She breathed soundly as she slept away her last few precious moments. Unaware of the footsteps that grew closer and closer.

Through the thick leaves atop the trees, no sunlight could shine through to throw a shimmer of light off the sharp silver blade of the knife held in a large hand.

He silently raised the knife with both hands, looking down at the innocent life he was about to take. A malicious glint shone in his eyes as he slowly prepared.

The gunshot sounded from off in the distance, and the man glanced up just in time to see the bullet that took his life.
© Copyright 2005 M. Williams (loves.desire at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1041005-Opulently-Ominous